Cardiff Living with Secondary Breast Cancer Overview Day - 20 March

Living with Secondary Breast Cancer Overview Day - 20th March

Breast Cancer is holding one of it’s annual Overview of Secondary Breast Cancer Days in Cardiff on the 20 March. It’s a full day of information and support and chance to meet up and chat with others with a diagnosis of secondary breast cancer. It’s an opportunity to hear from expert speakers on the Medical Management of Secondary Breast Cancer, managing the symptoms of Cancer Related Fatigue and the chance to try tips and techniques for Relaxation. It’s also an opportunity to find out more about Breast Cancer Care’s services.It’s completely free to attend and all refreshments and lunch are provided.

We also hold regular monthly meetings on the third Friday of every month from 11am.

If you’d like to book a place or would like more information about the Overview Day or the ongoing monthly meetings in Cardiff then you can contact us on 0345 077 1893 or email secondaryservices@breastcancercare.org.uk

Kindest regards

Carol

UK Wide Services

Bumping this back up

Oh it’s a shame I’ll  be missing this one ?  My scan is scheduled for 9.30am then we’re driving  straight from the hospital to Tenby for the weekend. xx

Hi Macie. So pleased youre going to Tenby. Its beautiful! Blue sea and lovely clean sandy beaches and the town centre although small is packed with nice pubs and eating places. The pubs and bars are quite busy in the evenings .
You have to visit Caldey Island…a must! From the harbour you book a boat trip over…it takes about half hour and costs around £11 but well worth it. Theres a monastery on the island that you can see and the monks still have cattle there and make their own chocolate that u can buy!
Also from Tenby within easy driving distance minutes away…are other lovely places to see like Barafundle Bay, Manorbier and Freshwater. Also theres the Manor House Zoo run by Anna Ryder Richardson all within minutes away.
Are you staying right in tenby town? Theres a Premier Inn just opened in january in the town.
Cant wait to go down for the weekend in few weeks time. When are you going? Xxxxxxx

I always come home from there feeling refreshed and well. We put it down to the Pembrokeshire air!
I’m sure you’ll enjoy it but try and remember to get over to Caldey ! ? xxxx

Hi Bevlaar, hope your treatments are going well. I see from one of your posts that your Caerphilly, my mum is dealing with secondaries, she is from bargoed xx

Hi Sianie…sorry to hear your mum’s going through this as well. What treatment is she on? I actually work in Bargoed! Although I’m on sick leave at the mo until my chemo is finished. Its a small world!
Bev xxxxx

Wow such a small world, my mum is on number 12 of 18 weeks of taxol for liver mets which were found in December, what about you, what’s your story ? My auntie and 2 uncles still live there but my mum moved down to Neath about 40 years ago xx

Mines quite a long story since 2013!
But before that was dx with primary bc right breast in May 2005. Had FEC chemo and rads but was TNBC so no hormone therapy followed. Had another new primary in same spot in same breast in 2009 so had mastectomy Sept 09. This one was weakly positive so had tamoxifen. Had reconstruction in Feb 2011.
Everything was hunky dory and I’d more or less got back to normal everyday life. …put it all behind me when …wham! May 2014 found mets in my right lung.
But 10 months before that in Aug 2013 i had been admitted to a local hospital overnight on iv antibiotics for an infection…nothing to do with cancer… where they did a routine chest xray. Everyone has one as routine if admitted there as emergency. Nothing came of it…no-one came back to me or to my GP so carried on as normal.
Then in May 2014 had a bit of a coughing fit and coughed up some blood in my sputum. Went back to GP who sent me for urgent xray which then showed metastatic breast disease in right lung.
When i went for further tests then…bronchoscoy, biopsy etc… the consultant Onc then gave us the devastating news that the xray I’d had done the previous Aug actually showed them then at a very early stage !! But this had failed to be reported to anyone!
I have since had a letter from the Health Board concerned ( not the one I’m having cancer treatment with thank god!)…admitting a breach of duty of care and they have now commissioned for all my hospital notes to be sent to an external expert oncologist in England to examine my case to see if medical negligence is involved. I understand the investigation is nearing an end now.
Its just so sad and I’m so angry that if found sooner my treatment would not have been so aggressive probably. And maybe my outcome more favourable.
So…long story but there it is!!
Hows your treatment going? xxxxx

As if you don’t have enough to deal with, you could do without negligence. Which hospital was this ? Mine is a personal matter but it’s my mum be treated for the mets to her liver. Are you getting good care now ? I do find this site so helpful but my mother is coping very well mentally but physical the Drs said they can’t believe how well she is doing considering the Friday night we took her to singleton hospital it was almost to late to treat her. How are you doing at the moment ? Xx

I’ll send you a private message…not wanting to publicly name and shame health board! xxx

Trying to reply to your message but it won’t send xx

I have tried twice, it lets we type the message then when I press send it sayes the message I’m replying to doesn’t exist ? rather annoying when I have typed a long message xxx

Not a problem June, thanks for your help ? xx

Still trying to reply to you bev but not getting much luck xx

Hope you enjoy your weekend to, just a quickie when you go on holidays who do you take out insurance with and does it cover you secondaries xxx

Yes ive had annual european travel insurance for the last 2 years which covers myself and hubby for £71.50. With Eurotunnel Travel Insurance. They cover secondary breast cancer and my cover is for £10m. You just have to declare over the phone when you take it out that you dont intend to travel abroad for treatment. I know of quite a few ladies on here who use them. The other company that will insure you is MIA. Xxxxxx

Great thanks for you help, do you know about cover for America ? Hope you enjoyed your Welsh guards concert and your lovely Celtic manor spa xxx

Yes Sianie they do world wide cover as well. I think i was quoted £91 for that for the 2 of us for annual cover. Its worth giving them a call xxxx

Great thanks xxx