cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cellulitis

8 REPLIES 8
Li-Li

Re: Cellulitis

Hi, sorry to come to this thread late, but just noticed the subject, as I have just been prescribed antibiotics for cellulitis. My story is similar. I had an axillary clearance on 4th Dec and am waiting to start chemo. All was well until last Tuesday when the area over the seroma and around the wound went very red. My surgeon drained the seroma (second time) and sent it off for bacterial culture which was negative, I had to wait from Tuesday to Friday for those results  and my surgeon did not prescribe antibiotics in between. I went to the GP on friday afternoon and he prescribed the flucloxicillin. Did your cellulitis clear up OK? My wrist has become slightly swollen too and I am sure it is linked to the cellulitis under my arm. I am going back to the breast clinic on Tuesday but I wondered how your experience had turned out. x

best wishes

Linda

Butterfly318

Afternoon Aroha.

Thanks for that link and advice about this product.  I will ask my GP for this although my current scars have now healed well i am due to have Saline expander replaced with permanent Silicone later this year and left breast matched up so will be back to scar massage.

Thanks Again.   Gilly x

Guest user
Not applicable

I had surgery on my arm to remove benign lumps earlier this year. The plastic surgeon who did the surgery gave me a silicone product called ScarSil to massage into the scars. The combo of massage and silicone is supposed to help reduce and heal scars - something to do with increasing the circulation and increase in warmth. See http://www.dermacaredirect.co.uk/scar-fx-scarsil-topical-silicone-gel-30ml.html Ask your BCN about it perhaps? If they can't give it to you directly, then perhaps it is available on prescription, in which case you won't have to pay for it as long as you've applied for your exemption certificate (get the form from your GP). xx

Butterfly318

Morning Ladies.

Sorry to hear wounds are not healing and infections still hanging around.  I think Manuka is a good all round immunity builder / helps fight infection.   I too struggled with scar healing and infection, also seemed to have some sort of a reaction to the dressings, which resulted in large areas of skin surface breaking down / weeping,  applied post surgery by dn so had to change to some pretty expensive opsite dressings (not very popular - me that is not the dressings).

I have found trying to improve the blood supply to the area has been helpful by massaging the scar at 90deg angle (my understanding from looking at Scar Massage on google is that this increases collagen production helping the scar to heal) the massage action increases the blood flow and helps repair the fine blood capillaries.

Below my scar (skin over rib area) was initially completely red with broken veins under skin surface, Mastectomy June 2012 but is now pretty much back to how it was previously.  Time consuming I know but i massage the area at least daily and oh massages an area anc with some difficult scarring 3/4 times a week (bless him - nothing in marriage vows about that one) to get the area in best condition possible for reconstruction. I know often people will use a cream or oil but my Physio advocates this type of massage without oil for best results then apply aqueous cream (only when all scars have healed) to keep skin hydrated and supple. 

In terms of nutrition my understanding re strengthening capillaries is red fruits / veg with skin. Red grapes beetroot plums etc.  I researched this when having Chemo and like a lot of info re. Diet it is based on opinion / experience rather than medical evidence base but i figured trying to increase my intake couldn't harm me.....

Hope things improve pretty soon.  Take Care   Gilly x

jillybee

I agree about the honey, I have used it for patients with chronic leg ulcers, and was painful initially, however, got results( I was a community nurse) I have had problems with healing, resulting in implants, silicone then expander being removed, now the other side, silicone,causing problem,resuling in a wound, which requires twice daily dressings. Seeing consultant today am asking about lab test results, never asked before.  Also asking if blood tests etc would at least show why I am having all these problems. Have increased my Vit c intake as well, still no joy.Take care all of you!!

Guest user
Not applicable

Manuka honey is also supposed to be good for boosting your ability to fight infection. It's not cheap, but you can get it from Holland & Barrett. Get one with a UMF of 15+ or more. UMF measures the non-peroxide activity, which apparently is what is important, whereas if 'UMF' is not mentioned then the number (15+, 20+, or whatever) measures peroxide activity. Take a teaspoonful 2 or 3 times a day. Don't put it on your wound though, as some people do - it is not sterilised. Manuka can be put on wounds, very effectively, but this should only be in the form of properly manufactured wound dressings and should only be under the supervision of your medical team.

Did your team send some of the drained fluid to the lab for testing? Just wondering if that's how they no there was no bacteria in it. Are you seeing any improvement yet? xx

Rowan44

Hi Aroha ,

The surgery was done on the 3rd of december I have seen the breast care nurses and surgeon twice since it became red and they have drained the seroma and given me antibiotics the fluid that was drained looked clear and not pus stained and the last time I was seen I was reassured no bacterial growth in the fluid and that it was a skin infection , told it would take time to heal as the lymph nodes were removed and this is where the body sends white cells to fight it so it will take longer to get to the site of infection ,

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Gill. When did you have your surgery? I would suggest going straight to your dressings clinic (see your BCN) rather than GP, if that's what you did. For how long have you been on the antibiotics? Trust your instincts and insist on things being taken seriously if you think you are not healing properly - you don't want to take a risk with infection. Good luck. xx

Rowan44

Cellulitis

my wound became red and inflamed  as soon as I noticed I went to the doctor and was given antibiotics  am on duel dose now of flucloxacillin and augmentin . The seroma and swelling has vastly improved but the redness and sore feeling is still there .

Has anyone been through this I am worried the wound will start to break down and also worried that it will delay chemotherapy

Anyone got any tips on how to improve healing ? I am already boosting my protein intake using milk shakes and eating plenty of chicken and fish etc  also taking vit c and zinc supplements generally

Gill