cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Central line

3 REPLIES 3
dippykate

Re: Central line

I've got one - it is the second one as i had the first one taken out in 2006 when it looked as if I was clear of bc. That time it was put in by an inexperienced registrar who hadn't even asked my permission so I complained about it. It was put in under local and was sore for a couple of days. She panicked and it made me panic and it was horrible experience as she didn't know what she was doing!! Once in, it was fine apart from not being able to swim and I learnt to flush my own line to save the journey to the hospital or waiting in all day for the district nurse.
This time, (about a month ago) the consultant put it in under local anaestetic in about 5 mins with no problems at all and it wasn't even sore afterwards.They have also changed the dressing over the top so it is less noticeable and changed the way you clean it so it is much easier all round and it saves all the pain of the unsuccessful failures of cannulation and it means they can put the chemo in quicker as my veins were so sore, they could only run it in very, very slowly.
I would def ask for an experienced person to put it in and not a trainee.
I don't think they would put it in under a general anaesthetic as it is a short procedure (if you mean a long line and not a portacath) but if you were very scared I'm sure they would give you a sedative so you wouldn't remember it.
If you could get a portacath, then that is completeely buried under the skin and you can go swimming but they are expensive and some places are not keen on giving the for primary chemo. You can find out more about this by searching the site as i expect I have confused you now.
Good luck - it really is not painful or takes long if you have an experienced person.
All the best
Kate

mandy4727

Thanks for that. I am terrified of this bit. Had chemo before needles and everything didn't bother me at all. But just can't stand the thought of this. i have a horse so am up there twice a day, mucking out,carrying stuff, obviously around urine and poop!!! So there has to be a high risk of infection there. Another reason not to have it. The only way they would get near me to put it in would be a general anesthetic!!!

Langardi

Mandy

I had a Groshong Line fitted last week for my first chemo. I had it done under a local anesthetic, I do believe you can have one that puts you partly to sleep and in hind sight I would have that option. It involves a line being inserted up by the shoulder and then threaded through the vein to a position near the heart where the vein is very thick with lots of blood and then out through the chest. You can discuss with the surgeon where the line comes out so it doesn't need to be seen. By inserting this and then subsequently administering the chemo through it you will not suffer with the veins in your arms. Certainly I didn't feel a thing last week. You will require the line flushing once a week and I went back yesterday for that procedure which took approx 15 mins. Blood can be taken through the line also so no need to find a vein for blood tests.

After the initial soreness wears off (only a couple of days and certainly nothing bad) you don't even know it is there. Drawback is that you shouldn't get it too wet and no swimming.

Good luck

Di

mandy4727

Central line

They want me to have one. As had full clearence on right arm so can't use that one for my chemo and SNB on left arm so reluctant to use that one.

Can anyone tell me what is involved during the the procedure to insert the central line, what do they do, does it hurt, precations afterwards etc. You be graphic it doesn't both me but might bother others who read the thread!!!!!!!!!!!