Cervical screening and oestrogen cream

Dear all, I wonder if anyone can give me some advice please?
I recently had a cervical screening test, and unsurprisingly, it came back as inadequate (insufficient cells). I was actually expecting this to happen - 5 years of Arimidex and 7 years of ovary removal are going to leave a legacy of atrophy!
Problem is, I need to have it repeated and in order to obtain enough cells I have been advised to have oestrogen cream/pessary before having it done. The concern is, my breast cancer was highly oestrogen positive, and I have spent the past 7 years eliminating as much oestrogen as possible with arimidex. because I am now off all medication, it makes me very nervous to use anything with oestrogen , although I undersatnd the absorption would be minimal.
Has anyone else been in this situation? I discussed with my BCN, who emailed the onc team , and was advised that it is my decision, and absorption would be small. I got the same advice from BCC, who suggest that I put this query onto the forum.
Any thoughts/experiences welcome! XXX

Totally understand your reluctance, I’m sure I will feel the same as and when this situation arises for me. We put up with the side-effects of these drugs and surgery in order to keep breast/ovarian cancer at bay. Then, when it suits them, the medical profession are willing to issue what is essentially a contra-indicated ‘remedy’.

I would be digging my heels in and insist on an oestrogen-free alternative - there must be alternatives, this situation can’t be unique surely.

I wish you luck and will watch this thread with interest.

Best wishes.

Hello. I’m in a very similar position regarding arimidex and atrophy. At my last smear test it took a couple of (very painful!)shots to get enough cells and the nurse encouraged me to ask at my hospital review about oestrogen pessaries for vaginal atrophy. But like you I no longer take arimidex and I’m not keen on using extra oestrogen. It just seems wrong to me. So, I’m more afraid of breast cancer secondaries than I am of the nurse rooting around for enough cells.

Hello. I’m in a very similar position regarding arimidex and atrophy. At my last smear test it took a couple of (very painful!)shots to get enough cells and the nurse encouraged me to ask at my hospital review about oestrogen pessaries for vaginal atrophy. But like you I no longer take arimidex and I’m not keen on using extra oestrogen. It just seems wrong to me. So, I’m more afraid of breast cancer secondaries than I am of the nurse rooting around for enough cells.

I was referred for a colposcopy because of a rough area on the cervix. Consultant said it was atrophy because of the lack of oestrogen, and demonstrated how, if she rubbed the area with what looked like a cotton bud, it bled (then had to do something to STOP it bleeding!) She asked about oestrogen after my BC, and when I told her the tumour was 8/8 receptive, she said no way then. The nurse managed to get enough cells for a smear, but I’m only one year into Letrazole treatment, so it may get harder! I think it’s called being between a rock and a hard place!

Just to give you a laugh… I work at the hospital, and when I went in, the (new) consultant noticed my badge, commented that I worked there… pondered about whether we’d met (we had) and where (I told her)… then, 5 mins later, when my legs are up in the air and she’s looking into a very dark place, she looks up & says “Oh, I remember you now, you did a presentation on the Induction course!” One of life’s surreal moments! Given me a chuckle or two!

Jane

Dear all,
Thank you very much for your replies, and I loved your story Jane - good job we can laugh about these things!!
I have since been searching for anything regarding cervical screening, vaginal atrophy and taking a sample without the use of topical oestrogen - there’s not much info really - all seem to refer to the use of oestrogen to enable the cervix to provide sufficient cells, but no info when oestrogen preperations are contraindicated.
I am going to try to get some advice from the colposcopy department, as perhaps they would be more successful than GP practice nurse without the use of oestrogen. I can’t believe that I am the first woman to have encountered this problem!
i will let you know what I find out! XX

Hi Happyshopper,

I’ve deleted your duplicate posts - no worries. When posting please be careful not to double click as this makes the duplicate posts. It’s one of the problems that the techies are trying to sort out. When you click to post your comment sometimes it is taking 30 seconds plus for the system to accept posts, I know it’s tempting to click again - I’ve done it myself!

Kind regards,

Jo, Facilitator

Thank you Jo - I will try not to be so impatien next time!!
XX