Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chances of HER2 positivity

12 REPLIES 12
blueash
Community Champion

Re: Chances of HER2 positivity

Don't be anxious - I am HER2 positive and it is just as curable now thanks to Herceptin. You will need to have chemo too but that is not as awful as you might fear either. I cold capped and kept most of my hair (just thinned a bit). The side effects are managable and although it makes you feel rough, rough is not dead and lots of us have been through chemo and are still here xxx

Strudel

Well good luck Patricia. There's loads of us at about the same stage - just had/about to have ops and waiting for results. I will post as soon as I can cope with on the main thread x
Patriciamay

Hi, the breast care nurse is going to ring me after the MDT on Wednesday, with final results I am just waiting for receptors for this second lump.   They did ask if I was ok with them ringing.  I'm so fed up with the permanent anxiety,  Dig deep Strudel.

Strudel

Patricia, when are you going to get your second results?

Em, as Patricia said it's a protein and they will test your tumour for it, you won't have that result yet I don't think. You already know you're ER + and for that you'll get tamoxifen. If you're HER2+ as well you'll have to be treated for that and the only treatment is chemo. Untreated HER2 + Increases the chances of it coming back a bit but HER2+ is less common than HER2-
Emily T

Thanks, I had heard of it but it's never been mentioned to me. They think mine will be hormone receptive
Patriciamay

Hi Emily.  I am no expert, just learning as I go along, and I am realising how complex we all are.  hER2 is where the cancer responds to a specific protein. So is not the same as hormone receptive, this is another indicator that helps oncologists to diagnose the right treatment.  I am sure your team can guide you at your next appointment.  

Emily T

Just wanted to say hi but also could someone explain what her2 is? I s it the same as being hormone receptive?

I feel almost guilty that I don't have to wait for node results. Mine were tested when I was out and not taken so I assume I'm clear. 

Patriciamay

Hi Strudel.  It's a tough appointment.  I actually rang the helpline prior to my last appointment, as I was in such a state.  I doubted anyone could help me, but honestly did help speaking to one of the nurses.   If you feel you can post tomorrow let us know how you do.  

Strudel

Yes, it's totally hideous 😔

Patriciamay

Hi it's horrible isn't it.  For some reason I find Sundays a real "trigger day".  I empathise with you hugely, we seem to get over one hurdle, and then another one pops up.  I will be thinking of you tomorrow, I guess what ever is thrown at us, there does appear to be so much that can be done.  

Strudel

Hi Patricia,

I am waiting for all the results from my lumpectomy and get them tomorrow. I don't mind saying that I have had a total meltdown this afternoon as I don't know whether I have lymph node involvement or not yet.

I don't know whether it's possible to have lumps with different Her2 status at the same time but I have seen some people with different Her2 status if they get BC again. Her2 status wouldn't radically affect your overall chances, it just leads to a different treatment to try and achieve that cure. The fact your lymph nodes are clear is fabulous news.
ann-m
Community Champion

Hi Patricia,

Well, waiting for results will be got through, it does resolve, but it's certainly no walk in the park.

Its good the nodes are clear & it has been caught early.

Obviously, the testing ensures you get the correct treatment, so it will still be dealt with if it is her2+, however,

I would not know whether it would be possible for the lumps to have different diagnoses, but I would have thought it is unlikely.

ann x

Patriciamay

Chances of HER2 positivity

Hi all

how do others cope with the constant waiting for results?  I am now recovered well from a double lumpectomy.  A further patch was found on the day of surgery, and surgeon removed both.  One small lump is ER positive and her2 negative.  No lymph node involvement.  Am now waiting for final assessment for second lump.  I am 56 is it possible to have two lumps with different her2 status?

all through my treatment I have been told I am early stage and I can be cured.  Am now so anxious that this new situation puts me in a different category.  Feel so down today and finding it difficult to wait for another lot of results.  

Sending care and companionship to us all via the forum!