cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chances of lymph node Today

10 REPLIES 10
cjrd

Re: Chances of lymph node Today

It was the surgeon who told me immediately after the operation that my lymph nodes were clear so it was a complete shock two weeks later when the pathology results contradicted his claim. This is also at odds with the definition of macrometastasis. X
ann-m
Community Champion

Sorry to hear what you went through, cjrd, I remember being told my nodes looked clear on ultrasound but was made fully aware that only the snb results would confirm if there was any node involvement or not. It can be so upsetting when professionals don't communicate properly. 

ann x

Emily T

Gosh that is horrible. You have made me worry now, I had snb and they tested whilst I was under so they could do a full clearance if needed, so I assumed mine were clear. 

Strudel

Oh I see they told you on the day, I wasn't told for a couple of weeks after SNB. What an almighty mess and how horrible for you. 

cjrd

Hi Strudel,

I was mistakenly told after initial ultrasound and subsequent SLNB (nuclear tracer/day before mastectomy and blue dye/day of mastectomy - no 'blue' side effects) that my lymph nodes were clear. I was subsequently informed after pathology report that two nodes (out of two) were diseased - one node micro and the other macro.

Microscopic (or minimal): Only a few cancer cells are in the node. A microscope is needed to find them.

Gross (also called significant or macroscopic): There is a lot of cancer in the node. You can see or feel the cancer without a microscope.

I went on to have a further 14 nodes removed and these were found to be clear. 

Strudel

I was told I was clear and I was.

CJRD do you mean you were told you were clear after Sentinel node biopsy because after actual removal it is pathology that gives you the result?

cjrd

After ultrasound and sentinel node removal I was told that my nodes were clear - on receiving pathology report this was not the case!
Rj7777

Hi Louise

Have you had an ultrasound? That is a good indication of whether the lymph nodes are affected or not but as Ann says they can only tell 100% by biopsy. Are you having a couple removed for testing? I have recently been through the same thing and it was a worrying time waiting for the pathology results after surgery but thankfully they were all clear. If the clinicians say it is unlikely I would cling to that the are usually right. Rebecca x
ann-m
Community Champion

Hi Louise,

'Yes, that's right. Normally the drs can see from the ultrasound whether there is likely to be any lymph node involvement, however, it is only about 75% accurate. The final results are only obtained once the node has been examined following biopsy. It is good they are telling you involvement is unlikely. 

ann x

LucyB_BCC

Hi louisemanso123

I'm sorry to hear you are confused about any lymphnode involvement in your diagnosis and I'm sure some of our users will be along soon to offer their support. I have moved your post to our Diagnosed with Breast Cancer board in order to give users more of a chance to see it and respond.

In the meantime you can always call our helpline on 0808 800 6000 who will be able to talk you through any questions you may have and offer a friendly ear. The opening hours are below.

Monday - Friday, 9am-5pm

Late opening Wednesday, 9am-7pm

Saturuday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes,
Lucy

louisemanso123

Chances of lymph node Today

I have been assured that lymph node involvement is really unlikely by three professionals at my clinic but I know there us still a chance biopsy will say otherwise.