Change to scar - should I be worried - 4 years on

Hi All

It is 4 yrs since my dx, had WLE, 5/7 lymph nodes affected, had chemo + rads., ER+PR+ had oophorectomy in Oct 10 so now on letrozole although age 42. A couple of weeks ago I went on holiday and there was a mirror in a different place to where I’m used to at home, and I saw that my breast scar, which is underneath, had changed. I’ve kept any eye on it. The scar is long, about 10cm, and about 2cm of it has become purple, like a new scar looks, whilst the rest is white. There is also a bruised looking area just past that. I can’t feel a lump; should I be worried?

Kinden
x

Well, I would definitely get it checked out! After radiation my “affected breast” has never looked what I would call normal.I had some problems with lymphoedema building up in mine earlier this year. Thats one possibility, but you must see somebody to put your mind at rest. Promise?
Mimsy x

Hi Kinden,

I’m sure it’s nothing to worry about, but I know how you feel. I had my year 5 mammo and check up at the end of last year and I had built myself up for it being the last appointment as it was the end of remission. Then the surgeon asked if I’d noticed any changes to the scar as he thought it was bit lumpy - he sent me for an ultrasound to be on the safe side and it was nothing, just a bit lumpy like he said. You say you’ve had rads on the affected breast - despite my rads being in 2007 my breast can change colour from day to day and I don’t think it will ever go back to normal (it can be fine one day, then a sort of mottled salmon colour another). Also the last 5 treatments I had were directly on to the scar, so it can feel a bit dense and tough there. The surgeon also remarked how it was still noticeable.

What I’d say is, if you are worried and you have a breast care nurse I would contact her to discuss it. My own clinic told me on discharge that as I have to have mammos for another 5 years I am still in the system and if I think I have any problems I should contact the breast care nurses direct as there is no need for GP referral. Obviously this varies from clinic to clinic depending on how each is run, but I’d perhaps give them a call anyway.

Hope this helps and let us know what you do.

Hi mimsy

Thanks. You’ve said what I guess I know anyway, I just don’t want to. I promise I will and thanks for caring to write! x

Hi cherub

I think we’ve been on the same threads before, and I hope you’re doing well.

I had 30 rads in 2008, the last 5 were boosters on the scar area and it has always been hard and dense there, although with a little gap now between the purple bit and the white bit. I suffered for ages with lymphoedema in this breast and often it goes pink, swells and gets sore, so it looks like cellulitus, but it isn’t as I am not unwell with it. It mostly happens when I’m really stressed and then sorts itself out within a few days.

My lovely, kind, super caring surgeon has left and I have not met the new consultant, but the bcns are fab, so I will give them a call.

Many thanks for your posts ladies

Kinden
xx

Nearly five years on, I found another lump in the scar area, just before Christmas. The ultrasound was inconclusive so several core biopsies were taken and it turned out to be fat necrosis. I was amazed that this could appear after all this time but the area has sunk quite noticeably recently as well. So benign changes can and do appear several years later. But you do need to get it checked out!
All the best
Anne

Know what you mean about changes years on Anne. I notice after 5 1/2 years that there is a noticeably bigger indentation where I had the lump removed and that breast is also higher than the other. I keep a check on my scar in the mirror every few weeks.

Thanks AnneG, I’m hoping it’s the same for me, but going through the several core biopsies must have been really stressful. Will have a chance to ring bcn on Weds probably - am v busy at work and not free to make a private call during their opening hours today or tomorrow, should be free Weds though.

Regards and thanks
Kinden
x

Have telephoned bcn, who was a lovely as ever, and have appt next Tues, with new lady.
Thanks all
Kindenx

Hi Kinden

Good luck for tomorrow. I was dx a couple of months after you (and don’t come on this board too often now) and I, too, have noticed changes in my affected breast over the last couple of years.

About 18 months ago a lump popped up (literally overnight) which turned out to be a cyst underneath scar tissue. Relief!

The affected breast has shrunk considerably and is now approx half the size of the other. But I can live with that.

I’m glad you’re getting it checked out but hopefully it will be ‘just’ a result of the treatment, which can obviously manifest itself many years afterwards.

Let us know how you get on. The worry never goes away does it, even though we manage to keep it boxed up in the back of our minds most of the time?

Mal

Thanks Mal, I remember seeing some of your posts too.

The consultant had a good chat with me first and then examined me. He found a thickening and sent me for immediate mammo, which came back R3 showing the thickening.

My unit has a brand new digitial machine which gave crystal clear pics. Because of that, I had an ultrasound, which again showed thickening, then on to a clinical biopsy, which I didn’t have with primary dx, when I had one done by the ultrasound guy.

This one involved a local anaesthetic and a scalpel. He took 5 samples and said 3 of them were ‘not fat’ (the ultrasound guy had said it might be a fatty deposit!) So, now I am in the waiting game for results to see if it is a local recurrence.

Am scared witless, having followed a link on here which predicts outcomes and with my dx at my age, only 52% are still alive at 10 years - I am already 4 years into that.

I do keep it boxed up most of the time, like you. Thanks for msg, and hope you’re ok.

Kinden
x

Hi

Glad you’ve had it checked out. You should get the results soon.

I can understand you being ‘scared witless’. The thought of ‘it’ reappearing just doesn’t bear thinking about BUT the chances are that it will be a result of the treatment.

If you’re anything like me, you get on with your life ‘pretending’ that you’re not worried but really every ache and pain…you wonder…and wait for 2 weeks. Most times the aches and pains have gone, but sometimes you have a pain/whatever which won’t wait for the 2 week rule.

I really hope you get good news.

Mal x

PS Don’t look at statistics. They are not you.

Thanks Mal. Appointment is 2pm tomorrow, can’t come soon enough, we’ve all been there in the waiting game.
OH has offered to come. Not sure if I want him to, but really glad he has offered.
Have told only 2 other people, as could not go through everyone giving me ‘that look’, or not knowing what to say. And anyway, it might be nothing!

Hope you’re ok

Kinden
x

Good luck for tomorrow Kinden. I’ll have everything crossed for you.

Mal x

hi, good luck, will be thinking of you xxxx

Thanks Mal and Lisa. I am delighted to report that I am ok! Nothing was found, so relieved I feel like dancing!

Thanks so much for your messages, they really made a difference to me, particularly as I hadn’t told many people at all.

Hope you’re both doing well

Hugs
Kinden
x

This is where we need a LIKE button on posts! Delighted for you.

CM
x

HI Kinden

What a relief! I’m so pleased for you. Put it behind you and get on with life. I know it’s always in the back of our minds, shut away most of the time, but, I don’t know about you, I think I would find it harder having a recurrence. The thought of chemo again…but would do it if necessary.

I’m sorry I didn’t reply last night. Although I did read your message, it was my birthday and I’d had a couple (or a few) glasses at a family BBQ.

I’m good thanks, but I was incredibly lucky in that I was mid 50’s at dx and the school I was working at ‘chose’ to close down, so I was offered a really good package with immediate access to my pension. So we’re enjoying life & travelling as much as possible. I still have the occasional scare/worry but then I think that is our ‘new normal’.

Take care
Mal x

I’m really pleased for you. I know how immensely relieved I felt and hope you have been celebrating!

Anne

HI Ladies

I am having a double celebration, as today is my birthday.

Happy birthday for yesterday Mal!

I will put this scare behind me and get on with life. Have just put kids to bed after bottle of champagne with OH. They are 8 and 6 and have given me all the Easter things they’ve made at Brownies and Rainbows, so I feel very special.

Thanks for kind messages and hope all have a great weekend
Kinden
xx

That’s excellent - lovely to have some hand made things from the children too.