74.2K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing from Tamoxifen to Arimidex (Anastrozole)

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Changing from Tamoxifen to Arimidex (Anastrozole)

Hi LoriH. My consultant said to stop taking tamoxifen for one week before starting new one. If you haven't stopped yet perhaps it's better to wait till you get your results to make sure it is ok to take. I got a bit confused by that. It wasn't clear if you could start once you've had the scan or wait till after results. I know they need to bench mark so they can check for any change. I am still waiting for my density scan but have my new ones ready to take. I hate the thought of more side effects but you never know it could all be ok. Let me know how you get on. Lets hope we can find a brands that suit us!! Xx

I have been on tamoxifen for 7 years and doing fine with minimal side effects such as mild hot flashes and thin hair. I just recently had a hysterectomy and onc wants me to start taking arimedex. I picked up the meds today, had bone scan two days ago. Wondering if I should wait to take arimidex until results. Do I have to wait a period of time between stopping and starting new meds? I'm kinda of freaking out after reading side effects. I'm 53 and very active. The doc said I only have to be on it for 3 years to complete a ten year cycle of the inhibitors. Ughh... maybe I should just take my tamoxifen thru weekend and wait to talk to doc about results of my bone density test. I wish I didn't have to switch.

Ah thank you  Rubycat for you quick reply. I'm relieved they do a Teva that I can try (if I can get it) will also make a note of the other one you mentioned. It does tend to be trial and error in finding one that suits you. Hope you manage to find something else you can take and you don't have to wait too long to get it sorted. Lots of love..xx

Hello Poppy, yes, you're right - Teva do do Anastrozole as well.  Afraid I didn't like Teva and only take the Accord brand, but expect you'll be ok as you have been with the Tamoxifen.  Yes, important to get a bone density scan - completely painless and over in a few minutes. I've just had my second one, and bones have got a lot worse. Don't know why I started on it as I was already osteopenic - now waiting to see if my onc will give me something else. Like you say, there is always something else! Hope you are ok and there is nothing else!  Cat Tonguexxx

Changing from Tamoxifen to Arimidex (Anastrozole)

Hi ladies...just wondered if anyone has changed from tamoxifen to Arimidex. My consultant has said it would be better for me to change following an op to remove my ovaries and tubes. I have been on tamoxifen for 3 years. Any advice/ issues would be welcome. Does it come in different brands like tamoxifen? I have been on Teva brand and hardly had any side effects. I am hoping they also do this tablet. I do feel nervous about changing. I am just waiting to have a bone density scan to benchmark that before I start on the new one. It is never ending, get one thing out the way and then it feels like there is something else to deal with!  Hope someone can help. Xx