Well, first they told me it's to happen 3 weeks after the diagnosis. Then they decided to do a genetic test because of the family history and that would delay the surgery by 1 week as tests results take time to get ready. At the genetics they gave me a slot of 1 week, when the results could be ready, so that postponed the surgery by another week, and yesterday they told me that my surgen would be available another week later. So in total it makes it 6 weeks after the diagnosis. I'm sure they mean well and they say it's safe ti wait. At the same time they cannot predict tumor behaviour for sure. And I'm nervous of such a long wait. Another option is to go into surgery directly with different surgeo and no genetics results but then I'm facing a second surgery later on if the gene turns out to be in my system. I have no idea about the Her2 yet either. So it's all very distrubing, the uncertainty, the wait, the lack of info and at the same time knowing that the cancer **bleep** is in me... 😞
No but can I come with you - only small, don't take up a lot of room
Hi Carmen, wow, what the news. I think you have every right to be super upset and angry, and having any other emotions for that matter. I would at least, I know. I'm all sitting with super little information even with my surgery being postponed and postponed all the time. I think tomorrow will already be better for you, and the next day much better. But imagine! After the 18 month you're free!! You're healthy! You have all your life ahead of you! I'd go to Maldives for a couple a weeks a least to celebrate if I were you 🙂 xxx Julia
Just received confirmation that I am getting everything that they can throw at me in terms of treatment.
Diagnosed end of November with grade 2 IDC and second area of DCIS. At that point the treatment plan was mastectomy and 10 years of tamoxifen.
Mid-December and the pathology following surgery comes back as grade 3 not grade 2 so we start talking about chemotherapy. I have the oncotype-dx test and wait for results. Results come back as high risk of recurrence so chemotherapy recommended.
Late January I start chemotherapy and the oncologist tells me they are retesting my HER2 status as local labs gave negative result and oncotype-dx gave positive result. So I may also need a year of herceptin.
Today, it is confirmed that my tumour was HER2+ so now instead of the very simple surgery plus tamoxifen plan, I now have a full 18 months of treatment to get through.
Feeling a bit cheesed off right now...