cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check ups after mx

4 REPLIES 4
Mollybee

Re: Check ups after mx

After my mastectomy I asked my surgeon how I would know if anything else was developing, since mammograms on that side would not now be done.  He said I would see or feel any nodules, and I assume he would also be checking for them.  No mention was made of ultrasound or MRI but I intend to ask again at my first post-op checkup.  Before my mx, my tumour was felt very easily and I could even see it as it was so close to the skin, so perhaps this is how it would be now that there is no breast tissue there to conceal it.  Agree this is a concern though.

songbird68

i had bmx 2 years ago. Never had any checks other than surgeon having a prod around every six months. i guess they do wait for symptoms, like jenji said. Can't say I'm happy about it, but there we are.
Jenji

Hi Lolly

I have just had year two mammogram on remaining breast and it is a question that went through my mind.  The other side has never had ultrasound or much attention paid to it once the scar settled down etc !

When I go for my post-mammogram appointment I will ask, because it does seem as if people wait for symptoms on the other side before drawing attention to it. 

Take care

Jenji

catokitty

Good question!  Oncologist told me I would start yearly mammograms one year after mx(January coming for me) but said nothing about ultrasound. I think we have to be vigilant checking scar and feeling around collar bone and neck every so often.  No one at the hospital has given me any advice at all re checking for recurrence but this is what other ladies report they were advised. 

lolly73

Check ups after mx

Hi, for anyone who has had mx without recon, do they ultrasound that side each year when the do mammo other side?