cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking back in: 2-4 years post diagnosis

39 REPLIES 39
charhie

Re: Checking back in: 2-4 years post diagnosis

hello, just passed the 4 year marker and so far NED, still get jittery moments but in all life is good, just about to change my hours at work from full time to part time so hoping i wont feel so tired.

x

Pippa

Just checking in to add a 6-year survival story - well, 10 years from first DCIS picked up on my first mammogram, mastectomy only then told I had a 97% chance of no recurrence; six years now from finding a lump the other side, Grade 3 Stage 3 + HER2 positive before Herceptin was licensed. That meant a full hand of mastectomy +chemo + radiotherapy, and then the luck turned - I was one of the first through with Herceptin at my local hospital, so had a year of that, several scares re secondaries but clear every time thank goodness. Feel I've been very very lucky. Currently feel healthier than I was before the first cancer despite being 61 now not 51.

Best of luck to everyone going through this now
Pippa

Ann_04

Just checking in to say that my "second anniversary" mammogram showed no worrying features, as the letter put it.

Hope everyone else has good news!

Love Ann xxx

topsymo

Yes - it' s 4 year's this week since I had my mammogramm: didn't get the result until June when I returned from holiday ............. and the world temporarily stopped rotating on its axix!

I escaped an mx but had WLE and full node clearance (Grade 3 Stage 3) plus chemo and rads and I'm now over 2 years on with Arimidex.
My hair has not re-grown properly since chemo and I have the usual night sweats and hot flushes- but otherwise I feel really well and lucky to be alive. Ditto my lovely 41 year-old daughter now in her 9th year of NED after her BC diagnosis at 32 (and a 2nd primary when she was 36)

We both try to live life to the full and have succeeded (I think) in not letting the fear of secondaries tomorrow, shadow our todays.

jano

Nearly two years post diagnosis, mgram clear, YIPEE!
Breast reduction 3 weeks ago to balence with reconstruction. Feellike a women for the first time since diagnosis.
Looking forward to the future just wish my OH could catch me up.
Jane xx

Kindensurprise

HI All

I recognise some of the names here and just wanted to say hello as it was 3 years yesterday that I had my surgery. I think about bc a lot more at this time of year.

Feeling better since had oophorectomy in Oct last year and am now on femara (had horrid side effects on tamoxifen).

love and wishes to all in this category!

Kinden
x

AnneG

4 years to the day since my diagnosis. Grade 3 ER/PR/HER2+++ 1.2 cm invasive ductal cancer plus DCIS, no nodes. Had WLE, chemo, 6 weeks radiotherapy and a year of Herceptin. Was on Arimidex for a couple of years then changed to Aromasin. I don't have my check up until next month but I feel fine so very much hope still to be NED.
All the best to everyone
Anne

leadie

Hi All, just had second year mammogram and all good. I had a small tumour under 2cm, no spread or lymph node involvement. Had rads but no chemo and chose not to take tamoxifen. Feeling really fit and well now and back at work albeit only 10 hours a week.
I felt the cancer was a wake up call to make changes in my life and I have done that in many, many ways.
Best wishes everyone on this thread

maltomlin

Yes topsymo

You're right. I feel well and come out from my appointments with the surgeon/onc on a high BUT I know too well that if IT comes back it will be me who finds it.

It's a false sense of security and I know it. Maybe it's called De Nile?

Mal

topsymo

I find it strange that other people are so anxious re their check-up mammos and then so relieved when nothing abnormal is revealed. Of course, like everyone else I never want to see anymore BC but my great fear is of secondary spread - and that won't be what's shown up on a mammogram.

Surely all a mammogram can reveal is a local recurrence -which is treatable - or at worst, a new primary in the other breast- or am I being stoopid?

Despite a Grade 3 BC I have had such infrequent follow-up appointments since finishing active treatment that it seems highly unlikely that symptoms will conveniently show up when I have an appointment with the surgeon or onc. in alternate years (with a mammo at 18 monthly intervals)

Am I the only person who has no great faith in any of these check-ups - if the cancer returns I believe it is ME who will know first.

Eliza

I have had my check up and Year 2 mammogram today and all is well.

There was a first year nursing student sitting in and while I was getting dressed she asked me how it had all been for me. I wasn't really sure how to put it.

Bits were pretty horrible, but I've just come back from a wonderful weekend with women I met on this Forum and tomorrow it will be the Christmas party for the support group at the hospital. I only intended going to the group for a year, but the women are such great fun that I've stayed! These days, I'm much more likely to get on and do something i really want to do.

Eliza xx

carriemitch

Hi

Just wanted to offer reassurance to anyone newly diagnosed. I am also three years post diagnosis and just had my all clear mammogram results today. What a relief. I never take anything for granted and I am so grateful for my good health and long may it continue. What I really wanted to say was thank you to people on here for helping me through some very dark days back then, i will never forget the support I received and still receive if I ever have a niggling doubt. To any one who's recently diagnosed... you think you are in a nightmare that will never end. I didn't think life would ever be good again. It was a long hard few months during chemo etc but like everything does, it passed and since then I've tried to rebuild my immune system by taking supplements, eating plenty of greens and walking every day (and I've taken up meditating too). Life is better than it was because I'm more grateful for what I have. I still have some terrible days when I fear it might reappear, I'm sure we all do and living with the threat of it and with side effects of arimidex have been difficult too.. .BUT overall I've learned so much about myself, learned to live in the moment and not stray too much into a future I know nothing about and enjoy the day for what it is. If I'm feeling relatively well then I remind myself I am luckier than the probably the vast majority of people in the world who are probably in worst circumstances. It's been a journey and it's a continuing one... I don't know what the future holds, all I know is I'm enjoying my life again and things are good and I'm grateful for that. Good luck and loads of love to anyone about to embark on this... you will come through and you will feel well again. Carrie xx

LynB1

Hi everyone! I have just been for the results of my mammogram, and am delighted to say it was fine. I am now three years clear, and life couldn't be better. I am very lucky in that my lump was found very early, and I have a really good prognosis. Wishing everyone on here all the very best for the future.

Ann_04

Val - I am so pleased your recent scare turned out to be nothing to worry about. What a relief for you!

Karen - Thanks for posting your good news. So encouraging for others.

Ann x

horace

My 4 yr mammo was due on 6th October but it was brought forward to last Wed[25th]as my GP had detected 'thickening' in good breast.I saw my surgeon who said it was normal breast tissue[I have lost 2 stones at Weight Watchers].I had my mammo which was clear and according to surgeon am now officially 4yrs post dx.As I had trip neg IDC this is a great relief-on with the next 4 now 🙂
Valx

DKAF50

I had my annual check-up this week and am very happy to say that all is well 3 years post dx. I now have to change from Tamoxifen to Exemestane,but as I'm going on holiday in 3 weeks have decided to wait until after I get back to change. The list of side effects looks daunting,and maybe I won't get any of them,but have decided to stick with the devil I know until after my holiday, and also my bone scan.
Life is good,and I try to enjoy every minute. We take more holidays now, and try and visit my daughter in Dubai whenever we can because I refuse to let BC rule my life. It can try - but it's got one hell of a battle on its hands !!

Karen

IZZY05

Emma, you will get so much support from this site - its amazing. Sending you lots of love and hugs xxxxxxxxxxxx

Emma-30

Hi Izzy05 thankyou so much for your post, I love reading things like that. Im on the rollercoaster now, only diagnosed in April 😞 xxx

IZZY05

Hi all

Four years ago today, I was in hospital having my operation. I can honestly say that the last four years have been a total rollercoaster ride - lots of ups and downs. I am still taking tamoxifen (have 14 months left - and counting!!) but other than some side effects that I have just learned to live with I am feeling good. When I was diagnosed I felt as though my life was over, but can honestly say that my life is just as good, probably better, that before. That sounds corny I suppose but I live for today and appreciate what I never noticed before. Another dark time was at the beginning of the year when my sister was given an almost identical diagnosis but she is on the right road now, fingers crossed.

I don't visit this site very often now, I felt I wanted to share this with you all today. This forum was a godsend to me in those early days, and I want to send you all lots of love and good wishes and hope that there will be many more posts from other ladies who are however many years post diagnosis.

To anyone who is at the start of their rollercoaster ride, I hope that maybe it will give you just a little boost - life can become good once again. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

AnneG

Hi Ann
We returned to Croatia last year and definitely have plans to go again. It is wonderful!
Anne x

Ann_04

Anne - Sorry, I didn't mean to mislead you. I wasn't saying that I hadn't had follow-up appts. I just meant that I had not seen the consultant surgeon I saw at the beginning and who performed my surgery. I have had four-monthly appts, alternating between one of the surgical team and the oncologist. My last appt was with some sort of consultant nurse, a post I had not heard of before. I think that next year the appts will be every six months.

Are you planning another holiday in Croatia. It looks wonderful!

Ann x

AnneG

Ann - there seem to be so many differences in follow up treatment. I see the surgeon every year and the oncologist every year so I see someone every six months. I can't fault the care I have had at all.

The picture was taken in Croatia the year before I was diagnosed when we had a week on that boat. Both the sea and sky really were that wonderful shade of blue!
Anne x

Ann_04

Anne - That's very reassuring for you. I had an MRI after diagnosis last year to determine the extent of the lobular bc, as it is difficult to see on a mammogram. This year I was only offered a mammogram, which shows "no worrying features". Good news, as far as it goes, obviously.

I haven't seen my actual surgeon since the day of the op, so I have no idea whether he is involved in deciding whether an MRI is necessary. I have had checks with other staff and I mentioned my concern, but I was told that they should be able to tell by comparing the two mammograms. Well, as there is a lot of scar tissue, I am not sure how reliable that is.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, by the way - and I love your profile picture!

Ann x

AnneG

Hi Ann04

I have a MRI scan because although my invasive cancer showed on the original mammogram, there was also DCIS which didn't and was only found after the lump was removed. My surgeon felt that it was therefore very important that I had the MRI. The first and second years I had both MRI amd mammogram but this year my oncologist said he couldn't see any point in having both.
All the best
Anne

Ann_04

It is so encouraging reading all of your posts. Thank you.

Can I ask AnneG how she manages to get an annual MRI scan? Is it private? I have just had my first anniversary mammogram but as I had lobular bc, I feel an MRI scan would be better.

Ann x

lolly73

It was 2.5 years ago today that life changed forever. Life now has a new normal and every day i still think of bc. Now almost halfway through tamoxifen. I am so grateful to still be here watching my sons grow up, and i appreciate things so much more.

buttons500

erm...actually....erm....yeah I did move house again lol. Weve got our own place now lol. But I was good for this move lol (didnt do it the week before chemo starts lol.
Shame about your tigger jammies, you shouldve got tartan ones..they last longer lol.
Glad your ok and doing fine x

Jez

Hi Buttons

How funny that you should be on here, I was only thinking of you the other day (glad the tartan jammies are ok, my tigger ones went in the bin!). Hope you've not moved house again!

Hi Ladies

I'm also 4 years post dx in Dec. Grade 3, Triple Neg and doing fine. Hair longer than it's ever been and, to be honest, it seems a million years ago, funny how things just trot along and, before you know it, 4 years have passed.

Hang on in there girls, you can do it.

Julie x

buttons500

hey all
Just checking in...its coming up for 4 years in December - but its 4 years today that I saw the gp with a lump...then had to fight with the hospital to see me as naturally women at 29 dont get breast cancer (and cue big stick to consultants head).
Anyway, all surgeries done...off with the old boob, on with the new boob, a hoik up for the remaining one, chemos, rads, 2 years tamoxi all done..just arimiwotzit to take (can never spell it but you know the one i mean). Alls well so far, which is always good. Good to see there are some names I remember. Anyway, my big fluffy tartan jammies are still going strong x so will speak to you all soon

AnneG

Hi Liz
Yes I do remember you and how pleased I was to hear you managed to get early retirement. I will PM you if that's ok with you.

Anne

lizcat

Hi Anne,

Another name from a while ago that I recognise. Glad to hear you're doing well and enjoying your retirement with lots of travel and nice things!

Don't know if you'll remember my retirement that was a bit of a saga and that happened Feb 09. The rest of last year was a bit of a nightmare with family illness one way or another and I struggled to come to terms with no longer working. Anyway since Nov/Dec I've been much improved and am absolutely loving retirement - had trips in this country and Europe.

I count myself so lucky that even with secondaries I have had this opportunity to spend time with my OH and parents that I otherwise would have spent in the office! And that I've been able to afford to do it. My treatment is ongoing and always will be but I intend to fit hols etc round appointments for a good many years yet.

I hope that this thread really gives hope to those newly diagnosed with primaries and/or secondaries and it's great to be able to say that 3 years ago at diagnosis, I never thought I would be here and feeling so well.

Liz

AnneG

I was diagnosed 3 years ago last April and I am celebrating as yesterday I had the results of my annual MRI which was fine. I had WLE and SNB, chemo, 6 weeks of rads and a year of Herceptin and am now on Aromasin. Treatment wasn't easy as I was very ill on chemo and had to stop after 4.

I have lost nearly 3 stone in weight from my heaviest after chemo, I go to the gym every day and took early retirement in May. I am really enjoying being retired and we have had some wonderful holidays since treatment ended, including India, Croatia, Syria and Jordan. And lots more are being planned.

I feel better than I have in many years, due partly, no doubt, to the weight loss and lack of work related stress.

I hope that newly diagnosed members and those currently going through treatment can take encouragement from those of us posting on here.

All the best to everyone
Anne

Laraine

Hi Everyone
I'm just checking in as I am 4 years past dx. Had a mastectomy followed by chemo and almost 2 years on Tamoxifen. Am now on Arimidex.
The first 3 years weren't easy by any means as I had to have a hysterectomy and my gall bladder out (Neither anything to do with bc).
Things have definately improved over the last year though and to top it all my grandson aged 21 who is in the RAF came home safely from Afghanistan last weekend so I'm over the moon!
Looking back it seems to have been a long, hard struggle, as it is for all of us but I'm still here, and when I saw all those men come marching into the hanger, absolutely shattered, but home again, it's all worthwhile.
Love & Hugs to you all
xxxx

Ruby1

HI everybody

I think this is a really good idea and gives hope to others starting this scary journey.

I was diagnosed and started treatment 3 years ago this July. I had 3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere, a mastectomy, 3 weeks of radiotherapy and a year of herceptin which ran over 1 1/2 years due to problems with my blood which seemed to sort itself out. I have recently had a mastectomy and reconstruction of the other unaffected side as preventative surgery and am still due to have reconstruction of the affected side soon.

Life is good - I've just held my first event to raise money for the breast unit who treated me and saved my life. I am back at work part time now - I try and live as stress free a life as possible. It took a while but gradually over time I realised that I wasn't terrified anymore and those moments when I suddenly had a shock and thought maybe something wasn't right have become less and less - I don't think about breast cancer all the time but I do think about it everyday but in a way that it has become a part of my life so that it's not all consuming - not by any means.

I have taken on a role in my head and that role is to make others much more aware of breast cancer than I was. I no longer want to keep it a secret for fear that people would start judging me and men wouldn't be interested, I am proud of who I am, how far I have come and what I've had to deal with.

In fact I don't think I have ever really expressed myself like this so thank you for giving me the opportunity to do so.

Ruby xx

cherub

I will be 4 years post diagnosis in October. Next year I will have my 25th wedding anniversary in March, my 50th birthday in May and, fingers crossed, the end of my 5 years remission in October. 2011 will be a momentous year if all goes well.

sandra4

Hi Linda
Good news for you and for us to hear, Well Done, don't think that dx feeling will ever leave us.
But it is good to read positive posts
Lots of Hugs and Love to you
Sandra xxx
PS Love the picture xxx

Not applicable

Hi Ladies,
Today is a milestone for me as it is 3yrs ago today that i was DX with BC, and what a 3 yrs it has been , i remember every tiny detail about that day , feeling so very scared and frightened that i wondered whether i would be here in 3mths let alone 3yrs,
Well here i am ,and im doing well after surgery ,8 x Chemo ,and 23 sessions of Rads , im still taking the Tamoxifen but i can honestly say that my life is good again. Its been one hell of a rollercoaster and at times very hard mentaly , but i somehow got through, and although not back to the normal i once knew ,im pretty close damm it, and am determined to grab life by the Ba**s and enjoy every single moment.
God willing i will be back posting on here this time next year.
Love and best wishes to everyone
Linda x

lizcat

Hiya Valkyrie,

So glad to hear you're feeling great after 2 yrs - I started a post about being 3 yrs a couple of weeks ago. As you'll see, things are different but I too am feeling really well at the mo.

Liz (from Morecambe!)

Valkyrie

Hi all

Just checking in 2 years post diagnosis. Doing OK so far following SNB, WLE and Radiotherapy April 2008. Taking Tam and had 22 out of 24 Zoladex. Had hysterectomy and oophorectomy March 10 as did'nt want ER/PR running riot after Zoladex ended. Path report showed complex endometrial hyperplasia of the uterus (pre-cancerous changes). The gynae consultant said, based on results,having the operation was a good decision to make.

Still on Tam but no longer on Zoladex. Can honestly say I've never felt better

Leah_BCC

Checking back in: 2-4 years post diagnosis

Some people like to check back in and let people know how they are doing. If you are coming up to an anniversary or milestone, post your update here.