1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking out your surgeon

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Checking out your surgeon

Thank you all so much for your advice. I had a look at Dr Fosters and the data on there is 5 years out of date for the surgeon in question so I'm not too sure that it's relevant. My Onc indicated that I should have surgery quickly; she decided that the SE's from Tax were outweighing any benefits. so I need to get this sorted. She wouldn't comment on the local surgeons.
Having seen your comments I decided to to ask someone who'd had surgery locally. Unknown to me she also volunteers at a support group so could pass on what other people have said. Turns out I'm not the only one to be uncomfortable with this surgeon's bedside manner. My BCN is very professional, and wouldn't push me one way or another, but has given me another name to investigate. I will try to see both.
Lemongrove, you are spot on with your comment, and thank you for giving me some good questions to ask. Likewise Caroline, another good question, I don't want to do this again either!
Best wishes all,
Toni

Thank you all so much for your advice. I had a look at Dr Fosters and the data on there is 5 years out of date for the surgeon in question so I'm not too sure that it's relevant. My Onc indicated that I should have surgery quickly; she decided that the SE's from Tax were outweighing any benefits. so I need to get this sorted. She wouldn't comment on the local surgeons.
Having seen your comments I decided to to ask someone who'd had surgery locally. Unknown to me she also volunteers at a support group so could pass on what other people have said. Turns out I'm not the only one to be uncomfortable with this surgeon's bedside manner. My BCN is very professional, and wouldn't push me one way or another, but has given me another name to investigate. I will try to see both.
Lemongrove, you are spot on with your comment, and thank you for giving me some good questions to ask. Likewise Caroline, another good question, I don't want to do this again either!
Best wishes all,
Toni

I had WLE and asked my surgeon what percentage of his patients got clear margins first time ( I was terified of anasthetic and really didn't want to go through the whole thing twice if possible). He gave me his stats and this made me feel more confident. I also asked my Onc and he said that if it was his wife he would recommend Mr so and so. That was good enough for me - only time will tell if i made the right choice. it's your body and your life so you need to be confident in who you have.
cheers
Caroline

Well it's not just about a surgeon being able to produce a few nice photo's, or asking the BCN to vouch for a surgeon is it? There are other questions that need answering, such as what percentage of a surgeons patients subsequently require corrective surgery/acquire infections/suffer seroma's etc (and how this compares to the national average). Additionally, I would want to know if the surgeon has ever been the subject of a claim in medical negligence, and if so,how many times. I don't think Dr Fosters guide has this information, and doubt a BCN would have it either ( and if they did they probably wouldn't share it - professional etiquette and all that).
I believe the Government were talking about setting up some sort of league table for doctors, but don't know if that has happened yet (astonishing really, because league tales exist for less crucial professions). So the only way I can think of to find answers to these questions is to ask the surgeon directly. If they have nothing to hide they shouldn't object.

Guest user
Not applicable

My BCN was happy to show me photos of ladies treated by my surgeon, who had the same immediate recon as me. I would definitely talk to the BCN and see what photo's might be available (and ask about other surgeons if you are still not happy).

Hi I shoppedabout for mine, wellactually unfortunately I had friend who had been through same and she recommended which one to have. I was booked in with someone else and changed the appointment. I would talk to your BCN as they will know the surgeons well and might be able to recommend or help you get second opinion. Best of luck x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ToniL,

It's your body and your treatment! I didn't like or trust my first surgeon for a number of reasons and also had chemo first and used that time to get second (and third and fourth!) opinions and have ended up with a surgeon I am really happy with who happily showed me lots of pics of her patients (not faces!). If you are having reconstruction you will see your surgeon quite alot over the next year or two - and maybe more if they are the one to do any scans etc if you have any worries - so I, personally, think it's important to trust them and to feel comfortable asking questions like whether you can see pictures etc. It might be that they refer you to the breast care nurse to show you - but you shouldn't be made to feel awkward for asking.

In the long run it is you that will have to live with the results of the surgery - not him! Some women go with the flow. I wanted to take more control. I've got expanders in at the moment and will have DIEP or implants in Dec. I'm still doing lots of research! If I'm not happy with the results, I will feel more comfortable knowing I did alot of research etc rather than feeling as though I was forced into the particular surgeon and was made to feel uncomfortable asking questions etc.

Are you able to continue with chemo? Or is surgery imminent? In which case you wont have long for second opinions etc.

What area of the country are you in?

x

Hi ToniL and welcome to the BCC forums

I am posting a link for you, it's the DrFoster website link where you can search for information about surgeons/hospitals which may help you out, I am sure your fellow users will be along soon with further information soon, I will just point out that we don't allow the naming of health professionals on the site but you may swap details via the private messaging system with other users if you wish:

http://www.drfosterhealth.co.uk/

Your breast care nurse at the hospital is there to talk to you about any concerns you may have, our helpline team can talk to you about this if you feel it would help to call the number is 0808 800 6000, lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2

The following link will take you to the BCC 'Newly diagnosed' section of the website where you will find further support ideas and information which you may find helpful:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/diagnosis

Best wishes

Lucy

Checking out your surgeon

Hello, I'm new to these forums - diagnosed in May, had 3xFEC and 1xT chemo. Just been told that I should now go straight for a mastectomy. When I met the breast surgeon at my diagnosis I really didn't feel comfortable with him, I felt that all he wanted was to tell me what he had decided then get me out of his office. Before I entrust my body to this man I would like to check him out, find out what his success rates are, what his patients look like afterwards. Does anyone know of a way to do this? Friends have suggested asking to see photos, but I don't think that would go down well with him.
Many thanks,
ToniL