Checking your breast

Checking your breast

Checking your breast Hi Everybody

I had an operation at the beginning of April this year and finished all my treatment at the end of October.

I find it difficult to check my breast, that I have had a lumpectomy in, for new lumps. This is due to the fact that this breast feels so different from my other one and is full of really quite solid bits in it.

I was getting a bit paranoid about a month ago and the a registrar at the hospital checked it out and said everything seemed normal.

Does anyone else feel that it is very difficult to check this breast for more lumps on account that it doesn’t feel like your breast in the first place?

hi diane,

yes I do.
I had WLE Oct and wanted to check if lump had gone but theres so many lumps on the scar I dont know if theres lumps there or not.
Dont know how we are supposed to check now
Love kay
xxx

Ask the Nurse Service Hi Diane

Sorry to hear of your concerns regarding breast examination following surgery.

Often with this very specific sort of enquiry you may find you get more information by contacting our Ask the Nurse email service. Our experts working in this service should be able to advise you regarding self examination and will be able to point you towards sources of help.

If you would like to contact the service, you can correspond by email by going to:

breastcancercare.org.uk/content.php?page_id=119

on the site.

Kind regards.

Online Host
Breast Cancer Care

Hi Diane,

I have the same problem. I had a WLE in Jan, followed by Chemo and Rads. Last week I found a lump in the affected breast: I could feel it sometimes when lying down and checking ‘properly’ but could find it more consistently sitting up. I rang my BCN, and she got me an appointment at the clinic. I was examined, and the surgeon was quite dismissive, saying I should never check myself like that. He did at least send me for a mammo and ultrasound, and nothing was found. He thinks it’s just changes due to radio. So at least I know my lumpy breast is OK. For now. But I’ve no idea how I will spot new lumps. Any changes, I’m just going to go back to the clinic and carry on pestering them.

Bweeps

new lumps Hi all

I inadvertantly touched my bare skin the other night next to the wound site and found a hard largish lump…I was demented and couldnt sleep for worry. The next day I saw the practice sister who said these lumps were tissue/pockets of inflammation still/trauma from the op and post op problems. She said that I needed to refamiliarise myself with the whole breast to see for myself these changes.

I so agree that I dont know how to check now for “proper” lumps that shouldnt be there and knowing me, I will be finding them on a regular basis and be in a constant state of panic. If - as the bc nurse warned - these understandable changes will be there for a year or so, I will be worried that the real culprits will go undetected.

Love Laine

Glad its not just me!! Hi Diane

Yes you are absolutely right …im paranoid about checking my breasts, sometimes I think I can feel lumps all over the place!!..my right breast is ever so hard and lumpy due to lumpectomy and radiotherapy in 2004!..I wish we could be checked every six months or something. xx

Me Too!!! Hi Diane

I had my op in 2004 and was told all my lumpy tissue was due to rads. Its painful to get mammogram however its worth going through a bit of pain to give you piece of mind. My breast is also deformed and looks like it could fit into a conical bra!! Keep your chin up and if there is anything that you are not sure about, just pester them for answers, thats what I did.

Good luck and happy new year

Elizabeth xxx

Hi Diane I don’t know if this helps, but my BC nurse told me not to check my breast until I finish treatment and I have recovered from the radiotherapy. Check with your BC nurse or consultant. I was also told to check them in the bath or mirror, can’t remember why, and to stand in front of a mirror with arms raised and look for any abnormalities.

best wished

Saffire xx

Tbanks Hi

Thanks to eveybody for replying, I have an appointment with the oncologist on the 16th January and will discuss it with her then.

Hope everyone has a great New Year.

Diane

appointment with oncologist Hi everyone

I had my appointment today and my oncologist checked my breast and reassured me it was down to the radiotherapy. I get my yearly check up in April and will get a mammogram then and possibly a MRI scan as well.

Hope everyone is well

Diane