Checkups on the NHS for patients with primary BC and 9 years on

I will probably be returning to the NHS next year after having PHI as it has become so expensive even with a large excess.
I was diagnosed nearly 10 years ago, and after 5 years of Tamoxifen now year 4 of Letrozole which will finish next year.
Will I get a checkup or only when I have symptons?

Thanks
Hazel

Hi Hazel,
I think it depends on where you live. Each hospital seems to do its own thing. I am treated in Leicester and my final checkup is later this month, six years on. I finished tamoxifen last October - if I was still having treatment I am guessing the checkups would go on till it was finished. After that I will need to go to my GP if I get any symptoms.

Echo what’s said above. It depends on the policy in your local area. Some hospitals discharge patients as soon as ‘active’ treatment is complete, some do routine check-ups for a few years afterwards.

Probably worth a phone call to the BCN team at your local NHS hospital to see what the policy is in your area.

Being realistic, I think a programme of ongoing regular check-ups on the NHS 10 years post-diagnosis is very unlikely unless you have symptoms which give rise to concern. However, I stand to be corrected if people have different experiences.