Chemical smells - intolerance

Hi - I am on day 6 of AC chemo regime and have just started feeling like my normal self again - its not been the best but onwards and upwards! Just wondering if anyone else cannot bear the smell of chemicals around them - things like reed diffusers, kitchen and bathroom cleaners - anything like that has just been a nightmare - makes me nauseous and head-achy - they’ve all been banished to the garage for now! Maybe its just chemical overload?

Jan
X

I developed what my husband called a “wolf” nose - my sense of smell was so heightened that most things smelt awful especial chemical smells. Fabric conditioner? Forget it! I was nearly sick in a supermarket after taking the top off a bottle to smell the “new” fragrance!

That made me laugh! And last week before I used the cold cap they sprayed an Aussie conditioner onto my damp hair - in fact I used that before all this business - but now I can’t even look at the bottle let alone use it - the smell is horrific! Anyone got any ideas of what other shampoos/conditioners I can use - maybe just baby shampoo or Pears or something?

Can’t say I can remember any chemical smells being a problem but I could smell the fresh bread in the house from upstairs and couldn’t stand it! I locked it away inside the bread tin & then inside the Larder to get rid of the smell.
Karen

Yes, my sense of smell got really acute during chemo. That was a double-whammy, as my rear end produced the most noxious stenches that ever exuded from a human body, and I could neither get away from the farts or ignore them as my nose was so sensitive!

Isn’t that funny - now fresh bread smell I could handle! Oh dear Choccie - if only - but I’m still blocked up!!

wo ho … sense of smell during chemo changes so abruptly that some time good fragrance start irritating you so badly.

Hi Jan
I remember it well, my sense of smell went into overdrive, just as it had when I was pregnant all those years before! I had forgotten how awful that is. It wasn’t just chemical smells either it was everything and you certainly get to know the smells that you can cope with and those you can’t. Luckily for me it only lasted each time whilst I was feeling cr@p after the chemo itself so maybe it was one of the many drugs they give you for SE’s. I knew I was feeling better once I could face the smell and taste of my early morning cuppa :slight_smile: The weirdest thing was, in our area, I had to boil the tap water for drinking, especially for cold drinks. So I did my early morning boil the kettle, fill up my bottles and let them cool for later. I really couldn’t stand the smell of boiled water as it cooled, yuk. Ask anyone else and they would tell you it doesn’t have a smell, well, yes it does!
Nicky

Just wanted to agree with everyone else. My sense of smell is so acute I can,t even stand the smell of my OH! Bread, tea, coffee, chocolate, toast, anything chemical especially fabric conditioner, my dog, hand cream , all yuck. It does fade a bit on week three but not that much. In fact , the only thing I don,t notice is fresh air and my 5 year old. In fact had her sniffing the fabric conditioner in the supermarket the other day to see which one was ok, got some strange looks!
Funny, you would think it would go like your taste buds, and why don,t they tell you, it seems quite common
Herbi x

Oh yes, sense of smell was so heightened during chemo and for me beyond. I’m now 2 years post chemo and still have it although not quite to the same degree.

I mentioned it to a chemo nurse who said to make sure you don’t use any of your favourite things like perfume, or essential oils or even soap during chemo as you don’t want to be put off them - it was good advice.
I remember the absolutely worst smell for me during chemo was the alcohol hand rubs and I used to feel sick the minute I smelt them.

I like the idea of a ‘wolf’ nose. It did though feel almost supernatural if you know what I mean - really extraordinary.
Elinda x

Yes me too.
My sense of smell is so heightened, especially weeks 1 &2. It usually gets better in week 3 but still hate the smell of most liquid hand wash.
Debbie

Yeah I’ve noticed the smell thing too, can smell this horrible docetaxal going in now, I hate it x

Thats good advice Elinda - not using your favourite perfumes, candles etc as you wouldn’t want to use them ever again! As i said I banished stuff to the garage but now when I go in there I can still smell stuff so the reed diffuser is in the bin now - can’t ever imagine wanting to smell that again!!

Jan
X

I couldn’t stand the smell of washing powder. On the plus side, got me out of doing the washing :slight_smile:

Pat x

Hi ladies

Comforting to know its not just me with smells. Fabric softener is a big one but the worst for me is when my husband does a cooked breakfast on a sunday! I used to really enjoy it but now everyone sits shivering eating their breakfast as i have to open all windows and doors otherwise i would heave, at least i feel healthier sitting with my cereal. We have a couple of family functions coming up and staying in a Premier Inn and i’m dreading breakfast time, wonder if they would do room service?

Best wishes…Trish x

I hate the smell of washing powders and fabric conditioners as for the antiseptic hand gels UGH. I still hate them all three months after my last chemo. I thought I was the only odd one.

So glad I happened onto this thread! I thought it was me, poor hubby is a care worker and has to get shower and stick clothes in to wash after Sunday if he has cooked lunch in work! The smell of grease makes me quite ill! Another one for fabric softener ughhhh!!! Can’t bear it, I can almost taste it am I nuts? As for soap powder isle in supermarket A NIGHTMARE! Scary as I am a year down the road from chemo and though it’s a bit better it’s still there. Em x

when I had chemo 4 years ago, I could not stand the dishwasher. Opening it made me retch. Even if it was cleaned it was awful. The chemicals for the dishwasher made me heave.

R xx