Chemo FEC 75 as to FEC 100

Hi all,
I’m a newbie to this site I was diagnosed in Nov 2014 had WLE 22nd Dec had to go back in for clear margins 6th Jan I have been told it’s a grade 2, stage 2A , ER &PR Positive HER 0 negative, SLN with tiny 0.7 of a fraction involvement micro mets? No spread. oncologist is still saying there not sure if it has cells or even a proper node?? Search me!! But anyway they still left me with the decision but benefit risks is to have chemo so I will to give it that blast ! Said they would put me on FEC 75 just wanted to know if anyone is on this version & what’s it like due to start next week so scared as I don’t do sick very well & the unknown!!! Normally a confident person but this whole thing has knocked me for six
Appreciate any comments x

Hi Simone, I was diagnosed 3 years ago with a small grade 2 IDC, stage 2a 0.4mm micromet on one node, ER/PR+, I was 43. I was advised to have chemo due to my age, but would have done anyway for peace of mind, my treatment was 6 x FEC75, I was told this was the standard treatment, not a lower one and was appropriate for my diagnosis. You will naturally be nervous about starting chemo, but for the majority of people it’s nowhere near as bad as they expect. I cope well with chemo, continued to work, run a home and look after my 4 year old daughter. I was very sick after my first one but my onc changed my anti sickness meds and I was never sick again, make sure you speak to your onc or BCN if if affects you too badly, you shouldn’t suffer and they will do their best to ensure you don’t. Once you have the first one under your belt you’ll know what to expect - and then you’ll only have another 5 to go! Take care and let us know how you get on. CC x

Hi

I’m on FEC 75. I started on 19th Dec and am going for my 3rd cycle tomorrow. I can only tell you about how I am finding it, but everybody is different.
The first one wasn’t too bad, not physically anyway. I started to feel nauseated about 6 hours later but honestly I found that it would come and go, and I was never actually sick. I noticed pretty quickly that everything tasted like glue, and after a week or so I developed mouth ulcers, but I used gel clair sachets which really helped, they don’t taste nasty like some of the mouthwashes you can get (corsadyl or difflam) and they really were effective in soothing my sore mouth. I was warned that my hair would start coming out after about two weeks, and this was pretty much spot on. It started coming out on New Year’s Day and by Jan 5th I had so little hair left that I knew it would be better and a relief to just get the rest shaved, and I felt better after that because I have always had long hair and I was absolutely dreading losing it, but you know what - after it happened, the dread was gone and now I am just looking forward to growing it back once I have finished with all this.
I did find the 2nd cycle harder, I felt nauseated for longer (still wasn’t sick though) and more tired. Everything still tastes like glue. More mouth ulcers but I’d got the gel Clair so used that again. I cut my hand and had a lot of problems getting it to heal, but it was ok in the end, I’m still on antibiotics for that. Oh and my daughter got chicken pox so I had to take an antiviral drug for protection for myself, so felt like I was taking a million tablets all of a sudden, but it’s whatever you have to do, right?
Basically I’m doing ok I think and have managed to keep working. I only just started posting on here too. My best advice to you is to try and remain positive and take things one day or one step at a time. Oh and be careful not to cut your hand! I did mine washing up a glass, I’ve now told my daughter that the oncologist has said I must NOT wash up until chemo is over - it’s way too dangerous. You never know, it might work, but then again she’s a teenager so who am I kidding!

Good luck and best wishes

J x

Thank you both for encouraging words & support.
At the moment I’m not sleeping well and eating properly but I will certainly try to conquer the eating before I start.
J , you made me laugh with regards to washing up, I will try that!!! (But not cut my hand)…
Best wishes to you both and I will keep you updated on how it’s going .
All the best x
Simone

Hi Simone and welcome to the BCC forums

Along with the support you have here please feel free to call our helpliners for further practical and emotional support, lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays on 0808 800 6000, please see the following link for further information and support services from BCC which I hope you will find helpful:

breastcancercare.org.uk/treatment

Here’s a link to the February chemo thread which you may find helpful to join as others here will be going through shared experiences with you:

forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chemotherapy-monthly-threads/Hello-is-anyone-starting-chemo-in-February-2015/m-p/920960#U920960

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi 

I’m on FEC75 which I believe is FEC-T without the T :slight_smile:

I found the first 2 cycles a bit difficult so now they have reduced the epirubicin dose and things are much better. I guess the important thing to remember is that if you do find that you are struggling with anything you need to say something to your team - everyone reacts differently to the drugs and they can always tailor things to help you.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Emxx

Thank you for your advice Emily.
All the best with the rest of yours.
Simone x

Hello,
I’m a newbie too. I’m 35 with 2 boys of 3and 5. I was diagnosed in Nov 2014, had a mastectomy with reconstruction in December and on Friday I star chemio Fec 75.
I’m so scared! I try to be positive but when I read about the side effects I get so nervous. I’m will use a cooling cap. Thanks for your support. This forum is great. Xxx

Hi al,
I start my chemo on Friday like you Fralan I’m getting nervous now as the day approaches.i will also will try the cold cap
Good luck & best wishes I will keep you posted.
Simone x

Hi Simone67, you will be in my thoughts on Friday!

Hi Fralan and welcome to the BCC forums, it’s great that you are finding the forums so helpful and it may help for you to join the monthly chemo thread for February starters as they are all going through similar experiences to you on here at the moment, here’s the link:

forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chemotherapy-monthly-threads/Hello-is-anyone-starting-chemo-in-February-2015/m-p/923423#U923423

You may also find our younger women’s information and support pages helpful and you and these here:

breastcancercare.org.uk/younger-women

Take care
Lucy BCC