Chemo Flash Backs

This time last year I was just starting my first of 6 FEC and was feeling strong but nervous. I had a pretty torrid time but got through it. I had 5 cycles in the end as me SEs were pretty bad and I spent 5 days in hospital in the middle. I had 3 weeks of Radiotherapy in January, followed by an infection and Lymphodema. I am now on Tamoxifen for 5 years! Despite all this I was starting to get back on my feet and have a head of curly locks that are coming on nicely. I have spoken to a brilliant plastic surgeon about reconstruction and am looking forward to moving forward again. I had to have a CT scan as part of the preparation process and went on my own - used to it all by now. However, the minute I went into the hospital I felt all weird. The smells, the lights the sounds etc - just reminded me of everything I have been through and I felt a bit overwhelmed. I didn’t say anything and just had my line put in and waited calmly. In the Scan I felt a bit overwhelmed and when the dye went in and I could feel it going around and could taste it I felt like jumping up and pulling the line out or screaming or something. Just typing this makes me feel a bit sick. Since then whenever I smell certain things or taste something that reminds me of it I feel nauseous. It is horrid - anyone else had this or am I going mad?

Hello CoachK

Whilst waiting for replies maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Hi CoachK - no you’re not going mad!! I finished my chemo about this time last year and still have “chemo flash backs” - my first 2 sessions I used the cold cap and they put that aussie conditioner in my hair and to this day I cannot use it and doubt whether I ever will again - just can’t stand the smell. And the other day I was sorting out some paperwork and came across all my BC papers and letters from the surgeon, oncologist etc. It really unnerved me but I guess in the grand scheme of things its still early days for us. I just try and stay positive in that the cancer is gone after MX and chemo so lets just get on with it! A large glass of wine helps on those dark days too!
Take care! x

Hi CoachK
no you are not going mad. I finished chemo a year ago & still have flashbacks. I suffered terrible sickness with FEC & had drunk Morrocan Mint tea after my 1st chemo to try & settle my stomach, if I as much as sniff mint tea now I baulk. Even typing this is maki g me feel sick. so glad it wasn’t anything I really loved!!!

s x

Yes i agree with all being said and it’s been 3 years since I finshed chemo.
I have never been able to eat paninis since having one during a chemo session and being so ill for days after it - it was the chemo not the panini which made me ill but the associiation is still there!!
I can still freak out at the noise my shower makes - it’s the noise the machine I was hooked up to having chemo made.
Really strange isn’t it how these things stay with us.

Jude

x

Thank you so much Ladies. Isn’t it amazing how just knowing others are going through the same or similar really helps. Tarragon Chicken and peach squash for me. I think I just need to come to terms with with this being part if who I am. Considering counselling I think. Maybe. Thank you all again for the replies and stay strong Ladies.