333558posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chemo? Holiday? Work?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Chemo? Holiday? Work?

Had pre op today & had good chat to BC nurse about bilateral MX, got some good info back as to why they won't do it.. She said I would need some counselling to make sure I was OK about it & that would push my op date back, however I was told because my type of cancer doesn't show up well on mammograms I can have an elective MX of the other boob at reconstruction time..

as for chemo I will find that out post op when I'm passed over to oncology team, but I kind of got the impression that I would be, she talked about cold caps etc

I am going to see about returning to work for a few weeks post op & pre  "chemo". I won't actually be able to do my job, but they can find me something to keep me busy :-)

Hi - I had bilateral Mx in January then chemo started in March finished start of July and am going to start phased return next week.  So on my timescales you might be pushing the Christmas ski trip - but if they decided that you dont need chemo, you are probably looking at about 3 months for good healing to a bilateral mx I could NOT have worked through chemotherapy and it has left me very exhausted but not everyone suffers like this so it is a case of taking things day at a time x Good luck with your operation - I hope that they listen to your concerns x 

Oh and keep at them for a bilateral if that's what you want. Wishing you loads of luck with that one!! Ann x x

I do think a little bit of stubbornness can get you a long way through chemo. I found that keeping my life as normal as possible really worked for me. Some mornings I just wanted to lie in bed, but made myself get up, and the more I did, the better I felt. Bit like a hangover really! 😊 (Although I did have the odd duvet day) Sure you'll be whizzing down those ski slopes come holiday time. Ann x x

Hi Ann,

thanks for your reply, I decided that if I had to have mastectomy, I would ask for a bilateral one as I hate the idea of being uneven & having to try running with only one boob & all that messing around with bras & prostheses etc, was told it was a knee jerk reaction.  But I know it's what I would prefer & my husband will back me all the way. Think I will ask again at my pre op ,appt, won't hold my breath though..

pas for the chemo I think it's going to be a wait & see :-(.. Have already cancelled my summer holiday at end of month so fingers crossed I can go skiing, I can be quite stubborn so hoping this will see me through

Susie x

Hi Trumpet,

I also had lobular cancer and was told I would only need  a lumpectomy and rads. However once the tumour was removed it was bigger than expected, and when my numbers were crushed by oncologists I had an 12% benefit from having rads and tamoxifen along with chemo as opposed to a 7% benefit of rads and tamoxifen only. I was left to decide whether I would go through chemo and when I asked my oncologist his opinion, he said that if I were a member of his family he would recommend I went for it, so I did.

I tolerated the chemo well and managed to work through all of it, but nor sure I could've done a skiing holiday!! Saying that, I did train for and complete the moonwalk in Edinburgh half way through treatment and found that the more I walked, the better I felt. The chemo did make me feel quite nauseous and incredibly tired, but that was just my experience and every individual is different. Two friends I made while going through chemo were more affected by it, while a colleague who'd been through it a couple of years earlier only suffered slight fatigue.

I would def have the mastectomy if I were you, and I would also push for a bilateral since there's statistically more chance of lobular cancer occuring in your "good" boob. I had WLE x 2 to obtain clear margins and am now on a waiting list for an elective bilateral mastectomy with immediate DIEP reconstruction. I had wanted a mastectomy from the off, but my surgical team managed to convince me that I only required WLE. Once through treatment, I've not managed to get over the mastectomy issue, and my surgical team have been listened to my worries and agree that for me, mastectomy is the only way I can move forward. As my surgeon said, there's no point in treating just your body if you're mentally unable to recover. 

Sorry for going on a bit and hopefully you won't need to go through chemo at all. Rads for me was really easy compared to chemo, but again, I might have been really fortunate in how my body reacted.

Whatever treatment you require, I wish you every success with it. Take care. Ann x x 

Highlighted

Hi Trumpet

Welcome to the BCC Forum.  While you are waiting for some replies I've attached a link to one of our publications "Understanding your pathology report"  as I thought it might be helpful.

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/sites/default/files/publications/pdf/bcc161_understanding_your_p...

You might also find it helpful to call our Helpline for information and support.  They are open from 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays.  The number is 0808 800 6000

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Chemo? Holiday? Work?

hello, 2 Wks ago I was diagnosed with lobular BC. Was told at 1st visit that I would probably only need lumpectomy & radio therapy, 2nd visit was told ultrasound was showing more tumour than the mammogram, MRI shows tumour is approx 5cm with some sort of tendrils coming off it... So now I'm to have a mastectomy.

my question (finally) is does this now mean I will have chemo therapy?? Or is it possible I would just get radio therapy?

is it possible to work whilst having chemo?.  (If I have chemo)  Will I be able to go skiing at Xmas?

i know I'm probably being a bit naive about all this, I only get 6mths full pay, so will need to get back to work if even just for a while.

feeling more pee'd off thinking I might miss my ski holiday than my breast or possible loss of hair!!!

i did ask for bilateral mastectomy as I thought I could get back to my running & Dog walking a bit quicker, but alas they said no... Rant over!! 

Spoiler