cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chemo Mouth

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Chemo Mouth

Hi all,
thanks very much for sharing your tips- there have been time when I felt I would pass out from hunger and this is the aspect of taxotere that has really got to me.
Here is my list of what I have been virtually living on.
Dole pineapple in jelly - sainburys
cornish ice cream
home made soup
polish chicken noodle soup (come in a sachet- add water and boil) sainsburys
complan
cup a soup
weetabix/ready brek
guava/mango/lychee juice
*batchelors super noodles- boiled with extra water til quite slimey! sorry these have virtually kep me alive, god bless whoever invented them 🙂

Taxotere definitely gave me the worst chemo mouth - truly dreadful

The best things for me were fizzy water (some people have rinsed their mouth with bicarb in water and that helped) and melon.

I found pineapple made my mouth sore. Strong cheese was good, and sweet pickled gherkins. I couldn't stand tea or coffee but horlicks was good. Wine was like battery acid but ginger wine was OK

Jane xxx

I'm 5 years post chemo and I can remember the worst for me being Taxotere (all of my side effects from this were at the extreme end of the scale). I couldn't taste anything, I was even eating foods I don't like just to stop being ravenous. My poor OH has a veg and salad garden and he kept bringing nice things in for me to eat, I felt really sorry for him. Even when I had the energy to cook my OH would say it tated lovely and I couldn't tell. It really is one of the worst aspects as it starts getting you down a bit.
I did find that what got me through at one point was a diet of herbal fruit teas and ginger nuts, the more gingery the better. I also had a bit of a sore mouth at that point, it was like a type of thrush and the hospital used to give me a 7 day course of tablets to take after each Tax cycle, plus Difflam to rinse my mouth with. My dentist also advised they could help with the sore mouth aspect if needed.

Oh, and Ready Brek, warm not hot, with sugar. Fairly bland, soft, fills you up, not too much effort to make...

Hi

Big Tom Tomato Juice. Its a spicy one and I drank bottles of it - also organic so full of lots of goodness.

Couldn't bear water, tea or coffee fo about 10 days each time but the Big Tom was okay.

Am now 4 weeks after last chemo and tast is returning to normal.

I found alcohol free Corsodyl mouthwash the best for keeping mouth ulcers at bay.

Good luck with it

Pixie xx

Hi.....I finished chemo over 6 weeks ago and my tastebuds returned to normal about 3 weeks ago, so there is hope Everything does taste awful on FEC/TAX in my experience, TAX being worse and for me, lasted up to 16 days
Not a lot I can offer as TBH not a lot is pleasant to eat or drink! Even spicy or vinegary food just left a 'hot' taste in my mouth!
Drinks.....I've found stronger tasting ones bearable, and more hot/warm over cold....stuff I'd usually never go near like Bovril, Horlicks, cream soda, warm Ribena, fruit tea with manuka honey, redbush tea (takes away that awful tannin taste if you love your tea) mackeson (good for red blood cells), Cobra 0% lager topped up with lime, tomato juice with Worcester sauce, green tea, pineapple juice and milkshakes.
Food that I can mildly taste and doesn't feel like chewing cardboard......ice cream, rice pudding, jelly, tinned fruit in juice, crushed or fresh pineapple, watermelon, chicken with skin on, hard boiled eggs with turmeric, mushrooms stuffed with shallots, garlic, cream cheese....porridge with banana, baked fish with tomatoes and lots of herbs, stir fry noodles with sweetcorn and soy sauce.....any home made soup (I make batches of them using the same colour veg!) with garlic, shallots and herbs or mild spices, cornish wafers with marmite, rolos, solero, TIC TACs and rich tea biscuits!!
Such a varied diet lol.......bread, potatoes, rice, red meat, salad, most vegetables (unless in soup), cake or biscuits tastes vile!! Bland food = even more bland tasting; spicy food = heat, so I try to maintain the middle ground!
Tip is not to eat your 'favourite' foods as you may get put off them post chemo! I can't look at a can of ginger beer, fish in sauce and have only just been able to face rice and cheese again!
Worked on the principle that I needed to mildly nourish my body to deal with chemo and returned to my usual, balanced, healthy diet in July .

Hope this helps in a small way,would stress that it's just my personal experience, and I'm sure others will be different.
Good luck..x

Hello all
The things I found still tasted normal and enjoyable were strawberry milkshakes, ice lollies, melon, fruit fools and jelly (which contain gelatine which helps your fingernails) and I had a major craving for chips and gravy. Ginger and pineapple didn't do anything for me.
Brushing your teeth after each meal also helps reduce the dreadful ulcers.
Best of luck with the rest of your treatment.
X

Hi Zoe, i had my first DoceTax last week and already cannot bear the horrible taste, it has put me off most foods and am struggling to find something pleasant to eat or drink, my appetite is nil at the moment , the only thing I have found to help is Mr. Men Jelly lollies, they do give relief for a short time, I have tried mango (which I do love) mint tea and various other things but up to now its the jelly lollies that have helped me. If you find anything new to help, please post on here I think we all would love to know.
good luck and gentle hugs, Pam

Oh yes, it is awful! Apparently there's something in pineapple that helps, I certainly found the taste to be quite nice in a world of everything else tasting nasty. Brushing your teeth more often can help, and if you can bear it get one of those tongue brushes too, or a very soft baby brush, and VERY gently brush your tongue. And the mouthwash left a masking flavour which disguised it for a bit (I used Oraldene)
Have you tried chewing mint gum, or fruit sweets like fruitella...sometimes they disguised it long enough to give me a break.
My chemo finished in may but oh boy do I remember this SE!!!

Just think though, it's blasting that cancer to smithereens...

Ps your food list sounds like mine Zoe, so maybe try mango too? And orange juice with lime in it. Hang on in there Hun, it ends.... X

Its horrible isnt it Zoe?
I had my 5th docetaxol/carboplatin on Weds. and I can feel my tongue turning numb.
I think its very much trial and error and what works for one of us wont work for another. The one thing that helped me was drinking fizzy water and elderflower cordial. I just dont drink tap water for about 2 weeks and for the first week dont eat anything cooked in water- except mashed potato! This made a big improvement. Some people swear by mint tea, or ginger. This didnt help me.
Hope this helps! Rattles x

Chemo Mouth

Hi Everyone,
I haven't posted here before but really could do with some advice. I know that having a metallic taste is quite normal, but I simply cannot bare it any longer, it's putting me off my food, nothing tastes as it should, the only thing I have found that taste as they should are Pink Lady Apples, salted crisp, tomatoes (although they still leave a metallic taste).

Is there anything that maybe you have tried or been recommended that has worked to either get rid of the taste or tastes as it should????

Help

Zoe
x