cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chemo at home v gp surgery v hospital

13 REPLIES 13
Pegglass

Re: Chemo at home v gp surgery v hospital

I had all my chemo at home (given by Healthcare at Home) - I don't regret it at all. I didn't have to worry about travelling to a hospital, and delays didn't matter. I put music on for the first dose - but after that I just chatted with the nurses and browsed the web on my laptop with my free arm. It was nice that, once chemo had been given, I could immediately rest, without having to make my way home.
It suppose it helped that I had no major SEs - had I been vomiting and feeling awful maybe I'd have preferred not to be in my living room.
tired1

Wow! So many comments already - thank you. Please keep adding. I've got my first meeting with the research team next week.

Butterfly_61

Hi All,

I didn't have that option of having chemo or Herceptin at home but, as others have said, I wouldn't want to associate treatment with relaxing at home, although if you live in a rural area that may be a better option for you. When having Herceptin I built up quite a rapport with the other ladies there at the same time and it was quite a social occasion with tea/coffee and biscuits which I would have missed if it was done at home.

I had treatment at the Beatson in the west end of Glasgow but they also do chemo in various other hospitals in the surrounding area to save people travelling too far.

I think health care professionals underestimate how valuable the support from others plays in our recovery.

Take care all, Liz.

Amber_D

I went for the option to have chemo at home. I've found it to be a godsend otherwise I would have a 3 hr round trip. The Healthcare at home nurses are lovely and the atmosphere is relaxed, I always have someone there with me for support and of course coffee making duties. The nurses are really friendly and I have built up a great relationship with my chemo nurse.
Sandytoes

I also had a problem with my port. The nurse was putting saline through it and it just felt odd. She was adamant it was fine but my oncologist was on the ward and sent me downstairs for a quick X-ray - and then a CT scan when they realised there was a problem. The tubing had detached itself and was in my neck and heart so I had to have an emergency op. if I'd been at home and had believed the nurse i don't know what would have happened once they'd started infusing the chemo.

Sandytoes

I'm with Gingerlaces. I was offered the option of chemo at home but turned it down as I didn't want to associate my home with medical procedures - I wanted it to be my safe, cosy place. I hadn't thougt about the possibility of allergic reactions etc but with hindsight I got additional benefits of having treatment in hospital such as them upping my anti-sickness medicine on the day and prescribing drugs to help with various side effects. I also met some fellow patients and we supported each other through treatment. I also developed a bit of a chemo association with clothes I wore, perfume I wore, food I ate and my chemo unit. They all makgene feel really sick now! And I'd hate to have that association with my sofa etc.

Sandytoes

I'm with Gingerlaces. I was offered the option of chemo at home but turned it down as I didn't want to associate my home with medical procedures - I wanted it to be my safe, cosy place. I hadn't thougt about the possibility of allergic reactions etc but with hindsight I got additional benefits of having treatment in hospital such as them upping my anti-sickness medicine on the day and prescribing drugs to help with various side effects. I also met some fellow patients and we supported each other through treatment. I also developed a bit of a chemo association with clothes I wore, perfume I wore, food I ate and my chemo unit. They all makgene feel really sick now! And I'd hate to have that association with my sofa etc.

GingerLaces

Hi I was offered chemo at home and at first thought this may be good idea . After careful consideration I decided not to as did not want to associate my home with the awful treatment to follow. I also think it is lot safer to be in hospital in case of reactions etc. also on one of my fusions my port did not want to play and I was immediately sent for scan in case it had moved. Personally I feel hospital is better choice as could leave that part of my treatment there and not be constantly reminded. Home was home . Just my opinion!!!

faj123

Hi. Like caroline I had Healthcare at Home for my chemo and it was excellent. It was very relaxed and the nurses were brilliant. My sister stayed with me all the time I was having it and was on the coffee duty!!. i felt totally relaxed and although I was hospitalised between 3rd and 4th cycle due to an infection, i would recommend the service to anyone. As well as the chemo, they also visited weekly to flush line , it was nice to see a friendly face when I was feeling crap!!

Frances.
carolihne

I had chemo at our local hospital and heceptin at home. There are advantages and disadvantages to both but i would def opt for first session of chemo in hospital in case of allergic reaction. I also had first heceptin loading dose in hospital and stayed ovenight - bit scarey as there were some very sick people on the ward. I was then fortunate enough to have 'Healthcare at home' do my heceptin. The nurses were all lovely, I felt more relaxed at home and family and friends poped in and out while i was having it done making tea for us. Not what everyone would like but it suited me. I did have one session where i felt very ill afterwards and rang the healthcare nurse in the middle of the night - again she was brilliant and took my call with no problem.
The healthcare at home nurses were all very experienced and i felt totally safe in their hands (no I don't work for them!)
cheers
Caroline

horsie5050

Squeeky Mouse - I so agree!!! However, I have had 3 different types of chemo given to me in hospital as an outpatient, this latest round of Eribulin is not avaliable on the NHS in wales so we have had to fund it, which means as a private patient the nurse comes to my home to do it. It's bliss, sheer bliss... No longer playing hunt the parking space at hte hospital, no delays.. I just drink a coffee and we chat whilst I get it, I can't think of a better way of recieving it! The nurses are highly trained and if you have an allergic reaction to itn , they have epi-pens and all the medical stuff needed to sort you out. Ther nurses even come to my house to take my bloods and also change my dressing and flush out my PICC line - love it!!!

squeakymouse

I had chemo in hospital but am having Herceptin at home. Having experienced both i would have preferred to have chemo at home too because there have been far fewer delays and mix-ups than there were at the hospital, and if the visiting nurse is running a bit late at least you can do something useful while you wait! Also it would be good if more GP surgery nurses were trained to do PICC line care and were allowed to use PICC line to take bloods.

Lola65

I am currently receiving chemo with Herceptin in a small unit attached to the hospital. I feel safe there should I have an allergic reaction, and also from a point of view of infection. If I were to be offered to have it at home I would refuse, although local mobile units would be a good idea. Like you, I wouldn't want to have to spring clean the house every 3 weeks, it's bad enough having the District Nurses calling to do my bloods and Neulasta jab every 3 weeks in that respect.
My unit is 14 miles away from home, which can be a bind, but I know of many ladies that have much further to travel. Many small towns like mine have Community Hospitals, which might be a thought for a part time unit.
tired1

Chemo at home v gp surgery v hospital

I have been asked to comment on some research being done into whether there should be an increase of patients receiving chemo at home or in local gp surgeries or mobile units. There are many considerations but I would be interested to get people's views on this. I had chemo in an outpatient unit in hospital, followed by herceptin at home, so I have a little experience of both but if I could take forward others views and suggestions that would be good. Also, if you have any experience of chemo for other cancers or young people, etc that might also be useful.
I think that my own preference would be for chemo in hospital in case of SEs that need emergency treatment - I had a massive panic attack in the first session and thought that I was dying - awful. Having Herceptin at home was more convenient but now I associate what was my favourite room with treatment. I also didn't like my children or visitors to the door to see me wired up to a drip for a couple of hours - and having to make sure the house was clean enough for the visiting nurse, and polite conversation, etc!