cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chemo decision today and I'm wavering

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted

Re: Chemo decision today and I'm wavering

Why is it weird to want to feel safe in the knowledge that I was doing all I could to get rid of my squatter? I've suffered worse things than BC. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sjorgren's Syndrome, Bronchiectasis with Pseudomonas colonies in my lungs, Hypertension, Osteopenia, Nodular Prurigo (15 months of constant, intense itching) Lichen Simplex, and now to add to my list, Rheumatoid Vasculitis. At least 3 of those conditions could be fatal (RA, RV and Hypertension) am I weird for knowing that all the treatments are in place to keep these things under control? I don't think so.

Highlighted

poemsgalore -

How can you say you loved having chemo what a weird thing to say

You all seem so strong and possitive, the chemo road is long and scary but I am so impressed by everyones strength.

Cold cap or not to cold cap, at the moment I am going to give it a go, if it doesn't suit me I can at least say I tried.  Went for a stress and relaxation class today a Macmillan and met a lovely lady who had just had her second round of fec-t last week and she looked lovely and can I say she was sporting a really lovely wig.  This made me feel more possitive although I am still quite attached to my own hair.

Hope everyone has a good day tomorrow or should I say today, one step closer to beating this x

Highlighted

Yes ......it's a tough decision but if it's offered..........go for it...............

You won't regret it...............

Highlighted

Hi Mel,

It's a very tough decision. I hope you make the right one for you and you are comfortable with your choice.

I have personally found each of my decisions very hard in this journey. My journey has not been straightforward, from the day I had the initial mammogram to the pathology results of my WLE. I baffled the medical team they told me. Anyway, I too was "advised" to have chemotherapy and told that it would give me an extra 15%. I was very confused to be honest. Did it mean a lot or not? I just didn't know what to think at the time. I was diagnosed with a rare type of breast cancer (medullary) and I had read many recent studies suggesting that because of its specific morphological characteristics, medullary BC has a better prognosis than ductal carcinomas and didn't really benefit from chemotherapy. On the other end, being triple negative meant that there is no other adjuvant treatment for me either. I really really struggled. I even seeked a second medical opinion privately. In the end I did choose to have chemotherapy. I have had two FEC treatments and so far it's been ok. It's taken me 6 days on each, to recover fully, which I think, from what I am gathering from other ladies, is probably quite good. I have also used the cold cap on both occasions. I have to admit finding that really hard but I still have a head full of hair - despite intense shedding before the 2nd one, so much so, I thought it may not have worked ... Of course I am not counting my chickens yet and I do have a wig ready in case.
I wish you all the best.
Much love.

Kate
Highlighted

Hi Mel

I've had 3 rounds of TC&H and have worn the cold cap each time. I still have a full head of hair. It appears everybody is different and every concoction of treatment results in different side effects.

My advice is take one day at a time, deal with the SE's (if and when they come) - before you know it it's coming to an end.

Best of luck. Ruby
Highlighted

Thank you for the advice and good luck with the radiotherapy.

There are so many decisions to make and any advice given from you lovely ladies is appreciated. To be honest my husband will not be back from work till 14 days after my first chemo and I would really like to greet him at the airport with my own hair, at least if it goes after that he will be there for the big shave Woman Sad

Highlighted

I did try the cold cap but my hair has still fallen out anyway although it was about 2 weeks after my 2nd lot of FEC when I really noticed it. However I am really pleased with my wig and have got quite used to it now. I just have radiotherapy to go now and see my oncologist tomorrow to start planning it. 

Good luck with the chemoMel67.

PS if you get the choice of having a pic line or porta cath go for the porta cath. I have one and it is brilliant as it is completely under the skin and offers no risk of infection and you can shower normally. 

Highlighted

Hi

Was told by the onc i will need six rounds of fec-t starting on the 1st October, will not need radiotherapy but will have 18 shots of heceptin.

Just spoke to the breast care nurse and she has arranged an appointment for the 30th September to go for a wig.  Yesterday I was sure I was going to wait for my hair to start to fall out and then get it all shaved off but today I am considering the cold cap and quite fancy getting it cut like Meg Ryan (not that I will ever look like her - I wish) this will mean i dont need to touch it with the straightners  x

Highlighted

I had chemo before surgery so not really in the same position as you. However I am glad I had it as was told by my consultant I would definitely have to have a mastectomy and removal of lymph nodes. After my FEC-T my tumour had shrunk so much I only needed a WLE and node clearance. I really feel chemo is worth having and not as scary as I thought it would be. Hope that helps.

Highlighted

Hi mel67

I like you had a breast removed and all lymph nodes 4 weeks ago and am waiting to see the oncologist on the 25th re chemo and radio-theraphy.  I have already been told it will be 6 sessions.  How many sessions do you need?  I am a little daunted about it all and losing my hair etc but I guess after what we have already been through it is small compared and hopefully once I have had it all explained next week it will be easier.  Try and keep positive.

x

Highlighted

I loved having chemo, it made me feel so safe. Remember, it's YOUR body, nobody elses. Good luck, whatever decision you make. xx

Highlighted

Hi

I had my onc appointment yesterday and they didnt give me a decission it was a case of your having chemo, I get where your coming from about having to decide I dont know how I would have coped.  I feel like I have been put on a rollercoster and they wont let me off.

Life at the moment is not good but we have to be strong and you need to do what is best for you as you have the rest of your life in front of you Smiley Happy

Highlighted

If it helps, I have just had chemo 7 of 8, I didn't get given a choice but I can honestly say its not been all THAT bad, yes there are rough weeks but it can be done, its a short 6 months of your life to be done and imagine how you might feel if you didn't and you had a reoccurrence

Also, if you really suffer then you could stop, and at least a bit would be done and you can know in your heart of hears that you tried!!.

Good luck with whatever you go with!
Highlighted

Hi Murphy

Sorry to hear you're in such a predicament, not knowing what to do for the best.  Please do give our helpline team a ring and talk through your thoughts/feelings with them.  It's often good to talk to someone independant from family and friends as you get unbiased answers to your questions.  Lines are open now, and until 5pm tonight.  0808 800 6000

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Highlighted

Chemo decision today and I'm wavering

Go to onc with my decision today whether to have chemo. Decided on fri I was going to do it. I've just heard through my daughters partner than my daughter doesn't think it's worth doing it due to the percentages I was quoted using the predict tool (2% advantage). I'm wavering now, she was at the meeting last week with me when chemo was being discussed. The onc and BCN wouldn't tell me either way what they would do, only that some women do it and others choose not to. Why is this so bloody difficult, my head is going to combust, my stomach is doing summersaults. Would be so much easier to just get told you are having this, although I appreciate totally that would mean I wasn't as fortunate as some ladies. Sorry, rant over xxxxxx