Chemo first to shrink my Cancer

I was told i had breast cancer last week. I had to go back today to stort out my treatment plan.
What they are going to do with me is shrink my cancer first. Then do the lumpectomy much later. Because my cancer is quite big. So chemo for six months then around june time the lumpectomy.
Its all back to front has any one else had it done this way.
I will have surgery to remove my first and second glands ( lyphm nodes) on the 4th of dec with hopefully chemo starting around the 17th dec.
I forgot to ask what stage and grade ect. There is so much to take in.
I am trying to stay posotive.
I am really scared of the chemo, of being poorly, lossing my hair ect how do you cope with it.
Thank you for reading.
Sharon Xx

I don’t post often now but your post struck a chord with me. When I was dx in Nov 2010 I was told that because the lump was large (45mm) and aggressive and HEr2+ I would have to have chemo first before surgery. Basically it was no choice, this is what we are going to do etc. Was told that they would have to do mx then, followed by rads and 12 months Herceptin.
I had 8 sessions of chemo (4 x AC and 4 x Paclitaxol) and I won’t lie, it was horrible. I had it 2 weeks apart which is quite unusual, you will more than likely have it 3 weeks apart which is a bit more gentle. My onc followed the US dose dense programme and because I was private I had bone marrow building injections inbetween.
But for me I will be forever grateful as it was so successful at shrinking the lump, it disappeared so from going from a definite mx, I had a WLE and also had a SNB which showed clear nodes. I then went on to have rads and Herceptin and finished that in February this year.
I personally wasn’t bothered about the hair, but if this bothers you, you could try the cold cap, my fear was feeling sick, but again I voiced my fears to my onc and she gave me enough anti-sickness so I didn’t feel sick.
The main thing is anything you are worried about mention to your drs. Don’t suffer in silence, there is a lot of help to get you through it. And you will get through it. I have just had my 2 year check up and so far so good.
You are at the worst part at the moment, you are still dealing with your dx and trying to be positive etc etc. Once you get into your treatment you will find you just go from one appt to another and the time passes.
It is becoming more common to do it this way now, rather than the old fashioned way of cut it out first and then worry later. Remember, everyone is different, just like every side effect is different, but the main thing is not to suffer in silence.
Take care.
Sam

Hi Shaz,
I was the same when I was dx in March 2011 (I started on 6 x FEC-T, but after one cycle, when the MUGA heart scan results came in showed I had very minor weakness in muscle of my heart, it was changed to 4 x TC, which was not pleasant, but nowhere near as bad as I expected).
Like Sam, the treatment was so successful, that the lump disappeared completely, just requiring a lumpectomy to remove tissue where the lump had been for analysis, which came back all clear. I had my lymph nodes removed at the same time as the lumpectomy. My treatment was NHS
I would say give the cold cap a go, I did for one cycle, but never persevered as my hair was falling out anyway, and I couldnt cope with not being allowed to style my very unruly hair (used to use straighteners every day). Lots of people have good results with it.
Good luck on the 4th, let us know how you are getting on.
****HUGS****

Hi Sharon Judy here I thought I would look for you.I don’t think they can tell you the grade until they have at least looked at the lymph nodes At least that was what I was told they think it it low grade but can’t tell me for sure until after the op. I think you will find the more questions you ask on here the more reassured you will become. Take care Judy x

I had bilateral WLE after 8 months of letrozole to shrink the cancers - it worked a treat and prevented double mastectomy RESULT!! In fact one lump shrunk so small they couldn’t see it at first on the scan. Letrozole is ‘gentler’ than chemo and was suitable for me only because my cancers were 100% oestrogen positive: clearly your’s is different hence the chemo regime. I had the sentinel nodes out with the WLE, and as one had cancer cells in it, a few more were taken out 2 weeks later. All of this was do-able, not much pain etc, altho’ letrozole produced instant menopause,even that has settled down now. Then it was rads a few months later, and that was do-able if tiring - it was a 160mile round trip every day for 3 weeks. Didn’t need any chemo, just continue with letrozole (now changed to anstrozole) for 5 years, so can’t offer any info about chemo - sorry.
Golden Rule - take a notebook to appts and write everything down, then you can think it through at home and ring your nurse if you need clarification/more info. Someone to do the writing for you at appts could be very helpful if you know you’re not taking it all in at the time. And don’t feel embarassed to ring up your clinic any time to ask questions - they really are very good, and they are used to us needing telling everything at least 3 times!!!

hope this helps
grumpy

Shaz, please don’t worry. I am also having chemo first (my lump was 2cm). I have had two lots of chemo so far. I have felt mildly nauseated, but I can still eat normally and I have not actually been sick. I am still doing 10-mile walks. I am still working full-time (I work in an office). I have been using the coldcap and my hair is only falling out slowly, if at all. I have had odd days of tiredness. I have had mouth ulcers, but they did not stop me eating and, as I tend to get mouth ulcers anyway when run-down, I have not worried about them. The main side-effect for me has been that my veins became inflamed after the second treatment. You will be OK.