Chemo, phlebitis and lymphodema

Hi everyone,

My mum had a a full mastectomy on her left breast and then had a further op to remove her lymph glands. As a result of the last op, she is aware of the risk of getting lymphodema in her left arm.
She has had 3 cycles of FEC75 and is about to have her 4th, but has developed phlebitis in her right hand, where she has normally had the cannula for her chemo.
She has had conflicting info from her breast consultant and the oncology department regarding whether it is safe for her to have her chemo given through her left hand ( incase of lymphodema flaring up), but has also been told she shouldn’t continue to have it through her right hand which has phlebitis.
Poor Mum is totally confused and very concerned. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks in advance

Lisa

Hi there

It’s so difficult when you get conflicting advice and it’s unfortunate that this does happen. Would be good if whoever thinks she shouldn’t have it in her left arm would communicate with whoever is saying it’s okay!

Ideally the chemo should not be given through the left hand. There are other options such as a portacath or central line. I developed blood clots in my right arm and because of lymphodema risk in the left I had a portacath fitted. Not all hospitals do this. It wouldn’t hurt to ask though and they should be able to do some sort of other option.
The best thing would be to ring the helpline and find out exactly what other methods there are.

I think the thing is that this is potentially life saving treatment so it is weighing up lymphodema risk with this.
I did go on to develop lymphodema even though I’d had a portacath so there are no guarantees anyway.

I’m quite new to lymphodema so someone with more knowledge may be able to say more about the risk.

take care, Elinda

Thank you so much for your response, Elinda. I have passed on your advice to my Mum. Have a great Christmas xxxx Love Lisa