Chemo starts Wednesday

Well this is the week it all starts. I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago and am starting with Chemo. Last week I was distraught, at the moment I am ok…ish but also angry. I’ve just read the annoying things people say and it is so funny. I think people have no idea what to say so come out with what they think is best. The best comment I’ve had was from my now ex partner…‘oh, you’ll look ugly with no hair’.

Good that there is so much good advice on here as I really have no idea what to expect. I know I won’t feel well, sick, sore mouth etc. I’ll know soon enough though.

One thing I have is good family and friends who have really helped out and surprisingly have not come out with a lot of the annoying stuff people say.

Julie

Hi Julie and welcome to the forums

I am posting to the BCC newly diagnosed resource pack which you may find helpful, you can order a copy via this link:

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early-breast-cancer-bcc145

Our helpliners are here to offer you further support and information on 0808 800 6000, the lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 9-2

Take care
Lucy

Hi Julie,

Your ex’s comment might explain why he’s your ex! It did make me laugh though …

I’ve done 2 chemo cycles now, and no it’s not great, but it’s do able. There are threads on this site, starting chemo in October and starting chemo in November and perhaps if you joined in the nov one youd find it helpful. It’s very nice to be able to moan/ask advice/laugh with other women who are going through it at the same time.

I wish you the very best of luck.

X Alison

Hi Julie I post on the “Start Chemo in November” thread I started my chemo on 10 Nov, I think you might find it useful posting with people who are on their 1st and 2nd sessions they are a great bunch and very supportive.

Everyone on the forum is but good to talk to people going through same as you at the same time, there are also people further on who post to support us through too.

Good luck for Wednesday.

Jean x

Hi Julie

The anticipation of chemo is worse than its reality - yes there are side effects but not everyone has them. I’m on FEC chemo and my only se so far has been a 3 day extreme tiredness and slight dizziness. The last couple of days I’ve had sore and swollen lips but I think it may be down to the antibiotic they have started me on from day 8

I’m in the November chemo group with jean so like she says come and feel free to join us…you will be most welcome and we will support you through it.

Thanks everyone. I’ll get onto the November thread x