cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chemotherapy - Tips and Tricks

Sue H-S
Community Champion

Re: Chemotherapy - Tips and Tricks

Hi again, so here is a quick and easy way to get a tasty dish done - and it should be good - as it has much of what we need - It can - of course be completely made from scratch - but you may sometimes not feel up to it. If cooking from scratch can easily be adjusted for specific dietary needs - i.e. make cheese sauce with rice milk and rennet/lactose free cheese, gluten free pasta, etc Broccoli Pasta cheese bake You need- 1 packet Batchelors Super Pasta 'n' Sauce Cheese and Broccoli (serves 1 or 2 as a main meal depending on appetite) 1 head of fresh broccoli - or bag of broccoli heads - enough to consider whether for 1 or 2 persons Milk Butter - optional grated cheese egg/s Cook the Batchelors pack to instruction - I personally use more milk and less water - and add unsalted butter to make it a little richer. Bring pan of water - with 1/2 teaspoon sea salt to boil, pop in your broccoli heads - bring back to boil - when boiling turn down to simmer for 5 minutes, then drain. By this time your pasta should be ready - Mix the two together, mashing the broccoli heads - then put into a baking dish - sprinkle liberally with your chosen grated cheese and pop into oven preheated at 180 degrees for about 15 mins to melt and crisp the cheese. Serve up on plated and pop poached or fried egg on top. Hey presto! If you don't feel like making in into a back - just pop the broccoli cheese mixture onto your plate and top with egg.
LynnW

Got it not sure how I add a new tip or. Just tag it onto one already there .... Such a techno phobe !! 😄 Xxx
Sue H-S
Community Champion

Hi ladies here is a great tip courtesy of LynnW - to help with constipation - without tablets! 21-05-2016 08:14 AM Chemo & side effects go hand in hand & I had 1st chemo on Monday 16th & have bn feeling a tad bunged up & as I'm always banging on about juicing I have to share this with you all its a MIRACLE !!! It's aptly called the UNBLOCKER. Here's the recipe - 2 golden delicious apples 1 pear conference 1" lemon rind on 3 prunes ready to use pitted are ok 6 ice cubes You will need juicer & blender juice Apple, pear & lemon meanwhile pop prunes & ice in blender & pour in juice & blend until prunes are mixed get can be hard to blend but bits is fine (I just used a spoon) & drink. I did this last night b4 bed & hey presto this morning utter relief no pain all perfectly natural. Far better than using tablets which encourage yr body to be lazy & reliant at least this way it's our own bodies doing the work !! Sorry for banging on but honestly juicing is the way tesco are selling a Phillips juicer £110 for £39 it's fab here is a link for some immune boosting juice recipes http://www.healthline.com/health-slideshow/juice-immune-system-boost#6 Every little helps ❤️ Lots of love xxxx
Sue H-S
Community Champion

Hi, well, my new eyebrows have arrived!

Real hair eyebrows

I shall try them out when my real brows are gone - I got them via Amazon @ £14.00.

Also ordered some Revlon Precision lash adhesive and remover. Revlon products have had brilliant reviews - and should also be waterproof.

The eyebrows get stuck on with it, as of course, the acompanying lashes. The remover will make it easier to re use, as either can be used more than once.

Will post pictures, when the time comes...

x

Sue H-S
Community Champion

Hi Belle, brilliant recipe - thanks for sharing - will try that one. Will be great to nibble whilst 'hanging' in there. xx
Belle

Recipe:

Date & Maple Syrup Flapjacks

Makes quite a soft flapjack so no sharp edges.  Vary dried fruit or add seeds (pumpkin, sesame or sunflower) to taste.  Ideal snack for extra energy and dietry fibre.  Adding seeds is an excellent way to add Vitamin E

Makes 24 small squares

200g unsalted butter

200g Maple Syrup or honey

200g pitted dates

450g porridge oats

50g desiccated coconut

Preheat oven to 180c/gas 4.  Line a baking tin (about 20 x 30cm) with baking parchment.

Put the butter in a saucepan with the maple syrup/honey and dates.  Melt together, smashing the dates into the butter & syrup/honey with the back of a wooden spoon.  Stir in the porridge oats & coconut.

Pile the mixture into the tine and press down firmly.  Bake in the oven for 20-25mins.  Remove from the oven and after a few mins, cut into squares.  Leave to cool in tin until firm then transfer to cooling rack.  Store in an airtight container.

Can be frozen.

Taken from The Royal Marsden Cancer Cookbook.  I've made this and it's really tasty.  Planning to put some in my freezer for quick bites when I fancy them.

Sue H-S
Community Champion

Hi Helen, thanks for joining the thread. Yes, Eyelure have this - most larger Superdrugs have a good selection of brow products from them. x
HelenAquarius

Thanks Sue for starting this thread!
Re the eyebrows.. I have heard about some make up stuff that fills in the gaps with fibres when you have thinning eyebrows. You need to have some hair to cling onto I guess so no good if completely gone.
Anyone tried this who could recommend?
Helen

Sue H-S
Community Champion

Flavoured Water We all need to drink a lot to help us with our relevant chemo regimes. Personally I find just water a bit of a challenge - and at a guess it may taste even more metallic, when chemo starts. I looked at flavoured drinks - and it would cost a fortune to buy enough to drink 2 litres a day. So here is my recipe to make your own lemon or lime or orange or combination of flavoured water. It is so simple and so cheap! Buy and un-waxed lemon/lime/orange and wash well. Slice off a total of 5 slices, of whatever combination you are making. Then put into a 1 l jug of water, weight the slices down by putting a few ice cubes on top - and leave in fridge overnight. Next day - you may wish to add some sugar syrup to sweeten - decant into an empty plastic drinks bottle. And then - start the process again with the same fruit slices - a 'set' of slices lasts for three or four times. Keep water in fridge till required.
Sue H-S
Community Champion

And here is one of my first tips. I know I shall be losing my eyebrows, when I start treatment. Needing to work as long, as possible or even all the way through I found a number of routes to deal with this specific subject. It would be great to hear back, which one you have tried and what your experience is. Option 1: semi permanent tattoo - not for everyone, because of cost, ability to have tattoo because of treatment Option 2: Eye brow wig - Yes, they do exist! I have ordered one and will let you know my thoughts - currently seems the most 'natural' looking alternative. And it may not necessarily be an expensive option. Option 3: Eye brow stencil - fill in with eye shadow or brow shadow to match your natural colour. Or on the other hand, for a more natural look - use an eyebrow pencil to draw on your eyebrows with little strokes to mimic real hair using the stencil. This will take time and practice - again I shall try this and report back. HOWEVER - I have already come across hurdle number 1. I bought some eye brow stencils and they are all far too large for my face - and far larger than my actual brows. If I would have just used them, when my brows are gone - I would have looked simply looked horrible. It is possible to make your own eye brow stencil! And I shall be doing that. - here is a link to how to do it - http://www.makeupfiles.com/2009/10/02/how-to-make-your-own-eyebrow-stencil/
Sue H-S
Community Champion

Chemotherapy - Tips and Tricks

Hi all, I am due to start chemo on Thursday 19th May - and thought I might start a new thread, where we can share tips and tricks about stay looking good and perhaps also share recipes of foods, which are easy to cook and eat, whilst we are going through this. Having looked around the various threads - there is a thread Top Tips to get you through chemo, where we share each others experiences and how we cope with specific challenges. It would be great, if this thread could also become a reference, especially to people like me, who had to research for such a long time, to find relevant and suitable answers for titbits, excuse the pun, which are more important for some, than perhaps for others. Hair, eyebrows, lashes, nails, make up, skincare AND food and drinks which keep us company on our appointment days and afterwards. I hope, that over time this thread will be of help to newcomers, especially once others than me, also post their tips and recipes. Here is to looking good and feeling better than we thought we could - - -