Chemotherapy and Medicines

Hi there
I am into my 3rd week of Chemotherapy - I have breast cancer for the 2nd time but this is my 1st time on Chemotherapy. I have been okay up to now but have developed a bad cold and sore throat in the last couple of days. It is stopping me from sleeping so I was wondering whether I would be able to take Night/Day nurse to give me a bit of a boost ? If not, have you any suggestions?

Thanks.

Carol

Hi Carol,

Before taking anything that is unprescribed please give your chemo team a ring and check with them.

Take care,
Jo, Facilitator

Thanks Jo, I have rung them about something else but they never got back to me so I thought I’d give you guys a try. Will ring them and see what they say. Thanks for your speedy response to my question.

Carol

Hi Carol You need to let your Onc/chemo team that you have an infection too. Have you got a raised temperature? Sorry this is not the answer to your question but you need to check meds with the team too.?Do you have an out of hours Dr service they will see you if you cannot get hold of the team. Were you given a number to ring if any probs Why do these things happen at the w/e? Hope you are feeling better soon. Jackie xx

Most cold remedies contain aspirin or paracetamol which can affect your temperature, by lowering it, your temperature is an important sign of serious infection. I had a cold for about a week with sore throat etc, then my temp went up (it was the time my White cells were lowest) and I ended up in hospital for 3 days. Do ring the onc ward, or whichever number you have if your temp is over 38, or over 37.5 twice one hour apart.
It’s not worth risking a sepsis episode which can be very serious.
Pat