Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chemotherapy and running

55 REPLIES 55
Sar41

Re: Chemotherapy and running

Hi

How are we all doing? Dark evenings and cold make me want to hibernate not exercise!

I've not done a thing. Got a chest infection just before my last chemo, luckily chemo went ahead so that's done but it really wiped me out so not run for 2 weeks.

Planning on seeing what I can do on the treadmill tomorrow, need to get back into it before I start Tamoxifen and the dreaded weight gain. 

Have even bought a nice new running top to see if that encourages me to get back out there lol! x

bravescholar

How are we all doing? Was knackered yesterday but forced myself to get on my exercise bike for an hour and ended up having the best night's sleep I'd had in weeks! Five chemo sessions down, three to go then mastectomy, lymph node removal and reconstruction so am aware need to make most of time left. x

Sar41

Times like this I wish the posts it had a 'like' button!

Have a great weekend ladies xx

bravescholar

I agree. I think we should all be proud of the fact we're doing anything at all. I've been continuing to play the odd game of tennis and I walked up the Sugar Loaf hill in south Wales last week when I was up there visiting friends. It was 1hr 50 mins there and back and while it was tough going, it felt brilliant to have done it. I'm half way through chemo now and move on to Taxol/paclitaxel on Wednesday, Keep smiling ladies! x

diane10

sar41 - 12 chemo sessions is brutal and to manage 2 runs is bloomin awesome. I went to parkrun and only managed 1 of the 2 loops but felt great to be out and doing something in the fresh air and seeing friends.
As soon as this chemo is over back to training proper !! Can't wait 🙂

Everyone is just doing so well !
Sar41

Diane, that's a shame but sounds like it's time to concentrate on you now.

I've done 10 out of 12 chemos now and 2 very ploddy 4k runs this week.

Plan is have my last cycle and then do my first ever Parkrun that weekend - as long as I'm not last I'll be happy!

Keep going ladies - you're an inspiration xx

diane10

Dac, that is all amazing.
I have had to give up work, the side effects have been too bad. Unlucky I guess. But this is the third week in the cycle and I have a bit more energy. Meeting some friends at parkrun tomorrow so going to give it a go. Have only managed some walking the last couple of days.
Going to go swimming on Monday as they have special session for ladies with breast cancer.
Am hoping now I'm not working I will have more energy to do walking and Pilates etc again which is much more beneficial to recovery than sitting at a desk falling asleep !
Feel much more positive again.

You ladies are fabulous !
Dacula

How is everyone???

Busy with work so been quiet trying to fit everything in! Exercise wise - running, gym, yoga and skating for me. Third chemo today so halfway. Feels good to get to this point!

Always a bit foggy with chemo put wired with the steroids post-chemo, put planning on roller disco Saturday with my daughter, run and skat on Sunday 🙂 

I really think some exercise and fresh air helps....

Do post and share what you are up to....

dac

bravescholar

10ks and open water swims - despite all the challenges of this illness. You go girls!

diane10

Sar41 - well done for signing up to your 10k and sorry about peripheral neuropathy. definitely good to have a goal - I signed up for my first open water swim. Something wanted to do for ages but never been brave enough, but if we can all get through this we can do anything !!
Very grim 2nd round so poorly was back in hospital last night. Sent me home again but warned that the cumulative effect will make worse next time. Will be glad to finish the FEC. Had to pull out cross country league this afternoon.

Sorry a bit of a negative post from me this week after I had a great week physically after last week !
Sar41

You're amazing ladies. It's freezing here so tennis outside would not be my idea of fun!

After a week sulking and doing not a lot, (was feeling sorry for myself as chemo deferred for week due to peripheral neuropathy), I'm back on it with some little runs.

Also been told that I shouldn't go back to work until 2 months after rads which makes it February so have registered for the CRUK Winter Wonderland 10k at the end of Feb.

Gives me something to aim for and may as well put those 2 months to good use x

bravescholar

How's everyone doing? I have a couple of sets of tennis planned for later this afternoon. Still hanging on in there. Am approaching the fourth and final round of the first lot of chemo (next Wednesday) then I move on to four sessions of paciltxel.

diane10

Vic 55 - you should be chuffed with hyourself to do a gym session after 5 rounds of chemo. I have found when I am super tired, then just a little bit of fresh air/exercise really helps rejuvenate me even for just an hour or so. Definitely good therapy. It saddens me that most people I speak to even some medical people think that life has to stop during chemo. Of course there will always be people for whom such things are not possible as they are too badly affected but I wish there was more encouragement of exercise/normal life (with modifications of course) during treatment. Much better for you mentally I am sure.
diane10

Bravescholar - that is amazing on the tennis and super jealous about your davis cup trip to Glasgow - I had to settle for watching on tv and it was amazing - am a keen tennis watcher but hopeless with a racquet in my hand - have zero hand/eye coordination. Everyone is doing so well and I get a lot of motivation from hearing what everyone is up to. I managed 5k runs on Saturday and Sunday, although my recovery does not seem to be as quick even on the short distances and Sunday was a struggle - but I managed it. Rest now (apart from some Pilates) ready for the cross country league on Saturday. Second chemo this Friday.... I was speaking to one of the nurses last week and she didn't seem to think there was a huge problem with Swimming.....these seems contrary to what I have heard, but a ray of hope ???
bravescholar

Well done, Vic. You should be chuffed. Anything is good. When you're used to exericising in normal life you know how good it makes you feel, don't you? And then this happens, and your whole life changes from one minute to the next. Speaking for myself, making an effort to play tennis or to cycle from A to B instead of driving is my way of trying to maintain some kind of control in all of this chaos.

Have a good weekend!

vic55

Ladies you are all so impressive! Got final chemo next wed. Been missing swimming so much, tons of walking done. Managed little gym session this morning. Stupidly chuffed with myself! Struggling with tiredness generally, but doing something helps so much!
bravescholar

Everyone seems to be keeping active; good to hear. The day before my third round of chemo on Wednesday this week, I managed a three-set singles match against my lovely double partners and won the third set on a tie-break! 

I'm feeling ok after that third round so am taking the train tomorrow from London up to Glasgow to stay with my parents for a few days. And guess what, I managed to get tickets for the final day of the Davis Cup semi-final in Glasgow on Sunday. GB vs Australia... will get to see Andy Murray play! 

diane10

wow, super active !!
Most of my head hair gone after 2 weeks ! Nausea now eased off thank goodness. Terrible heartburn but oncologist given me something for that so feeling much better. Have a couple of running events this weekend do very excited and also gone back to Pilates and loving it. So tired but feeling more determined and less defeated then last week.

Love getting everyone's updates really helps motivate me xx
Dacula

Hi all!

2nd chemo today and been exercising this week - runs, gym, yoga and roller skating so far! 

I am hoping this round of chemo similarly goes okay. Hair thinning on top but will take that side effect compared to other horrible ones!

Diane  - sorry to hear about your nausea 😞 Have you tried ginger green tea this works well for me when feeling a bit sicky. Also, slices of fresh ginger in hot water (with lime too if you like).

Bravescholar - good to hear from you too!

Roller disco with my daughter hopefully tomorrow! Taking it a bit easy today as feeling a bit spacey!

Will check in again soon to find out what you are all up to 🙂

dac

diane10

Yes that one, domperidone and also tried cyclizine (I think it is). Seeing oncologist Thursday so he may be able to suggest something else. Otherwise I am sure I will just get used to it.
bravescholar

Re the nausea, are you getting an anti-nausea drug called Emend/aprepitant? Impressed you managed the parksrun. Don't be too hard on yourself.

diane10

Hi, been a tough week. Still very nauseous and being sick in the night may just be something I have to put up with. Not much running apart from club couch 25k this week as trying to work full time means I am done for in the evening but walk twice a day to get some fresh air and did parkrun this morning.

Well done on the tennis. Partner concerned about me running while feeling so sick but there is a need not to 'lose' all of who I am over next few months.

Brave scholar well done on the tennis and hope the tiredness is improving.
bravescholar

How is everyone? We've all gone a bit quiet. I managed a set of tennis last Wednesday then could hardly get off the couch I was so knackered the following day. But I think it was chemo-related fatigue rather than tennis-related fatigue, as I realised I'd felt exactly the same at the same point after the first cycle. So, two cycles in and the patterns are emerging, which is good cos I really thought on Thursday I can't take many days like this. 

Diane, I hope you finally got the nausea under control. Sounds grim. Impressed you're helping with coaching.

diane10

Well done on keeping going ! Amazing. Day 1 post chemo was not great at all but day 2 despite nausea I managed to do the 5l fun run and support my running club which I was delighted with. Really helped illeviate the nausea for a while too. Day 3 managed to go out for a couple of hours but floored for the rest of the day. Food a real struggle and can't control nausea. Fortunately I can work from home so should be good to continue. Going to help with coaching the new beginners at club tonight so should give me a bit of a lift again.
Dacula

Hi all - Yup still doing okay post-9 days. Been running, biking and gym as normal (but taking it a bit easy) really. Start my normal Autumn yoga class Tueday too. Working as normal too.

Bravescholar nice to hear about the tennis game after round 2! Diane long walks with the dog sound fab!

Will let you know how the yoga goes - at mo more concerned about mx than chemo! dac

diane10

Brave scholar thank you. Went ahead and went ok. Feel like I have a bit of a hangover but otherwise well. Had to have some time off running this week but been walking 3-4 miles a day with the dog to try and keep a little bit active. Will see how next few days go xx
bravescholar

Dacula, hope you're still feeling ok after your first round. Diane, hope you're ok for chemo tomorrow and if so that it goes ok.

I had my second round of chemo y'day. Feeling ok. Played one set of tennis today. I won, but only because my opponent (who is also my lovely doubles partner) fell apart when our coach turned up at 4-4 and started jokingly commenting from the sidelines!

Best wishes to all.

Dacula

Hi Diane - totally get your need to run - I feel caged up and really scattered if I don't run or swim! Basically I would not be me if I stopped. Even a few days post-mx I went on long-ish walks with my drains in a little bag! 

Sorry to hear about your infection - healing thoughts your way! I hope your first chemo goes okay too. So far okay for me, though early days (1st just yesterday). dac

diane10

This is all inspiring stuff. I had managed to train to where I needed to be to do 10k tomorrow and elated but ended up in hospital last night. Infection and with first chemo due on Friday need to be careful to get fit enough for that so out the race tomorrow. Feeling a bit defeated today but determined to bounce back so thank you for the positive posts. No one else get my need to keep on running (apart from my club buddies who have been awesom)
bravescholar

Thanks, Clem. Great to meet a fellow tennis enthusiast! I too played 2-3 times a week but I've pulled out of the club leagues and have given up my place on the Ladies 3rd team while I fight this thing. I do plan to keep playing through chemo as much as I can, though. I played one set earlier this week, one week after my my round of chemo. Lost badly, but can't say that was down to the chemo! 

Your post was really helpful and it's really encouraging you're able to do so much. It might not seem that way to you but I'm really impressed!. Just two months off the courts after node clearance seems amazing to me. I was thinking much longer than that. Good luck to you too! 

Dacula

Hello chemo runners!

I had first chemo yesterday (1/6 EC). I am totally planning to keep running during the treatment. Not a marathon runner yet, but like 5/10k distances. I was thinking of registering for a 10k race after Christmas as an incentive to keep running as I tend to be a bit of a fair weather runner!

I had left mx and anc at beginning of July and was running within four weeks, swimming within three. Gutted swimming out for the chemo journey but am looking forward to doing more cycling. I intend to run (outside and dreadmill), do yoga and some weights during too!

Nurses, Physio and Drs yes all advised me simply to 'listen to my body', tailoring stuff as necessary. Also, going to be a bit more careful around 7-14 days of cycle when immunity hits rock bottom. So will take it easier then and avoid more public spaces. 

So for me today 10-20km bike ride, 7k run tomorrow! 

Will bookmark this thread  -- Diane and everyone  keep posting about your running and exercise plans as I am sure we can all do it, we will feel better for it and also likely to help the treatment (mitigating some side affects and helping it through the system)!

dac

clem

Hi bravescholar - you mentioned tennis and as this is my passion I thought I'd reply!  I'm having a different treatment programme to you, had lumpectomy with clearance of nodes and just had 3 cycles of FEC.  Tax next.  I usually play tennis - not terribly well I hasten to add, but I enjoy it! - 2-3 times a week and have a couple of sessions in the gym each week to keep fit enough to play.  The node clearance kept me off the courts for two months - especially as it was my right arm.  I did my physio and was able to get back on the court then, and I can manage an hour or so in the gym or on the courts in the 'good' two weeks.  I'm putting on weight which I hate but eating is the only way to effectively relieve my type of nausea (exactly the same when I was pregnant).  I am trying to shave off the weight when I can, and just accept it will be yet another challenge when I get through the chemo.  So, as others as saying, I exercise when I can, and don't when I feel rough.  In the bad post-chemo week I still walk each day but it isn't far, just enough to get out and feel I've done something.  30-45 mins or so. What I've learnt is that everyone is different, and we all react differently to these chemo drugs - so there's a bit of 'wait and see' involved!  Good luck!

Sar41

Ladies, I've had 3 cycles of EC and had my second weekly Paclitaxel yesterday. I'm not super fit by any means but like to do a bit and have done all the way through. Managed a (hard) BLT class on Monday and a little 1.5 mile jog this morning, not bad for 24 hours after chemo.

Do what you feel. For me even if I've managed half an hour psychologically it's a massive boost and not to be too grim but I find it quite satisfying to think I'm sweating those chemo toxins out.

Anything that gets the endorphins going has got to be a good thing x

bravescholar

First session, of AC, was last Wednesday. Other than v slight headache for couple of days, no side effects at all. I know it will be much, much worse as sessions progress but for the moment I'm thankful.
diane10

Well done ! When was your first chemo and how have you felt ?
bravescholar

Inspired by you lovely ladies, I have just been out for a 20 minute run (well jog, really).I seem to have got off lightly with my first round of chemo so I reckoned I owed it to myself to get out there. Keep up the fight.

diane10

I have decided to listen to the oncologist but not take it as gospel. After my run yesterday felt so much better even though felt shattered when left the house. I think if you are determined to not let it completely rule your life then that is half the battle. Thank you so much ladies - I left my oncologists office feeling completely defeated.
RoadRunner

Vic55 - I went to my first rads session, and mentioned to the staff there that I was keen to get back to swimming.  They told me I was OK to swim, but would have to stop when my skin started to get sore as the chlorine wouldn't do it any good.  My skin never got sore so I never stopped.  My onc was pretty useless so I had long given up asking him things anyway.  He was very old school and just wanted to tell me what my treatment was but wouldn't engage with me in a discussion on anything. When swimming I wore a swim hat to cover the fact that I had no hair.

Diane10 - the things oncologists say! Just google Jane Tomlinson to see what can be achieved on chemo.  My husband's cousin rang me in a panic last year - her onc had categorically told her she would put on weight on tamoxifen, and she was seriously considering not taking it due to this alone. I am still taking tamoxifen, having started in 2007, and have not put on any weight.  Goodluck in the 10k!

vic55

Diane 3 miles is fab. Honestly really impressive. Will grit teeth and wait on swimming if I have to.
diane10

I was told to avoid swimming through radiotherapy. Was dog tired this afternoon even after a snooze but went for a run. Only 3 miles but did feel better. Not saying it was easy - from running half marathons most weekends to this I find hard mentally but a little is better than nothing.

Thanks to everyone commenting on this. Thanks roadrunner - my oncologist said I wouldn't be able to run during chemo. Feeling more confident now.
vic55

Road runner on the swimming did you get the ok from the onc to swim during rads? Am really missing it. If have enough hair post chemo I really want to start soon!
bravescholar

Good luck with that 10k, Diane!

bravescholar

Am definitely going out for bike ride or a run tomorrow if I feel as well as I do today! Will take it easy and stay close to home. Oncologist said instead of going out from A to B and back, to imagine the house as the centre of a flower and to run round the petals, ie out for a short distance then back close to house, then back out in another direction for a short distance, and so on. That way you should always be able to get back home if you suddenly find you run out of energy. Cleverl, eh? Will keep you posted.

RoadRunner

Hi Ladies

As my name implies, I am a runner.  I am delighted every time I see a thread like this.  I ran all through treatment (ages ago - back in 2007, herceptin in 2008) and it definitely helped me cope with it.  Tax was pretty awful as far as the running went, plus the cumulative effect of herceptin was bad too, but I never stopped.  I am sure it helped with recovery/energy levels, and always gave me something else to focus on.  There's something very different about tiredness from exercise rather than tiredness from chemo.  No matter how bad I felt, I always felt better after a run.

As for swimming - I was back to that as soon as chemo was over.  I swam all through rads, as I never had a problem with my skin (due to the aloe vera gel, or just good luck?  no idea).

diane10

I don't think it makes too much difference which way round - it is tough either way and we all react differently and each stage poses its own challenges. Good luck and keep going 🙂
bravescholar

Yes, got to keep trying. I guess I'm lucky (?) in that I have chemo first and may be able to keep things going until surgery. Will see how it goes.

diane10

It is all rubbish. I have managed to do a couple of runs - park run on Saturday and then another 1.5 miles on Sunday. It wasn't pretty, was slow and it hurt but worth it. I have 2 weeks before chemo starts - attempting a 10k race next weekend. Have no idea how I'll cope with chemo ... Gonna try and keep going.
bravescholar

Hi. I started neoadjuvant chemo yesterday and the plan is have a mastectomy and full lymph node removal in December or January. It's silly, but the thought of not being able to play tennis or go on long-distance bike rides (which I'd just got into pre-diagnosis) for a long time is one of the worse things about this whole thing. I will aim to keep fit through chemo as best I can. It's pretty rubbish, isn't it?

evs_71

I used to run too and did at the start of my breast cancer treatment - initially chemo then surgery, but FEC chemo abandoned after 2 rounds and surgery brought forward.  Haven't managed any runs since my op as restarted chemo 5 weeks later.  Now I'm restarted chemo, on Taxotere for 6 rounds (had 3 so far) and just don't have the energy I had before, even for walks, although I try my best and keep as active as I can.  I'm getting quite frustrated at the no swimming thing and the reduced energy levels.  I feel you should just go with what you are able to do, you're body will let you know if you've done too much!  Good Luck xx

diane10

Thanks, had a chat today with oncology team about this and they said the same. If you can do it, is good but don't expect too much and that running may be challenging. Walking has been put forward as an alternative. Have entered a short distance duathlon for mid way through treatment as a short term goal and to give me some focus. If I have to pull out then so be it.
In the meantime my dog will be very happy !