cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chemotherapy infection risk

6 REPLIES 6
Swirly

Re: Chemotherapy infection risk

Hi Zelda, a good way to remember is you'll be taking some antibiotics and antifungal tablets during your lowest point and you'll notice that you don't bounce back quite as much as you get to the end of you treatment so it becomes even more important. Your own hygiene and food prep are the most important, I found those disposable antibacterial wipes really useful around the house for door handles, taps etc. I also used aquesous cream every time I washed my hands as the hand washing can be very drying, particularly as it seemed like I was washing them a hundred times in a day! I also changed the hand towels and dish cloths more regularly. It's worth the effort. Good luck x

Zelda

Hi Maryland , Thank you that is very useful advice The Chemo I shall have is the Fec first and then the Doxetaxol I am going shopping today so I will buy those items you mentioned
Maryland

Hi Zelda.....it depends what type of chemo you are having...the rule of thumb is below, which I hope you will find helpful. I had to be very rigorous as I worked throughout chemo, over 2 years ago, as a school business manager, with the full support of my Onc.

Due to my working environment, she was very strict about the days I didn't go into work, the 'nadir' or low white blood cell count days. For FEC it was days 10-14, although I was extra careful and used loads of anti-bac hand sanitiser(!) on days 8 and 9 as two of the FEC (can't remember which ones) have a very slightly earlier 'nadir' start date. For 'T' (Docetaxol, Taxotere) then the 'nadir' days are a little earlier on 5-9. The advice she gave me was that we are more at risk from ourselves than others during these low periods, so to follow a 'pregnancy' type diet; wear gloves when gardening, cleaning etc. to avoid cuts and grazes; drink plenty (cranberry, barley drinks) to help prevent urinary type infections, and keep mouth scrupulously clean as mouth ulcers can quickly become infected (particularly if masked by oral thrush). I did tend to avoid very crowded places but as germs can live on most surfaces for many hours anti-bac became my best friend! Hope that helps, and all the best......take care x

Zelda

Thanks Fiona I know when to be most careful
Fiona00

But overall, the risk of infection for the whole time u having chemo treatment more higher that others not having chemo
Fiona00

The immune system will reach its lowest point in the second week and will go up in third week, so the second week will be more risky
Zelda

Chemotherapy infection risk

Hi everyone, Due to start Chemotherapy next week. Does the risk of infection apply to certain weeks of treatment or during the whole process of chemotherapy ?