Chemotherapy, ovaries and testosterone!

Hi everyone. When I was diagnosed with BC a year ago I had some scans to exclude secondaries. An incidental finding at that time was a large (over 5 cm) ovarian cyst. It was never mentioned and when I saw my surgeon again a couple of weeks ago I asked if we should do something about it. He expected it to be gone (I last had a period in January because of the chemo). However, it’s still there, and still the same. I’ve seen a gynae who says it should be removed (doesn’t seem worried that it might be malignant), and that my ovary will be removed at the same time. He says it would also be usual to remove the other ovary. Can’t say that I am thrilled at all to be facing more surgery. I would just say take them both out - however, have read that ovaries continue to produce testosterone for up to 30 years after the menopause, and that removing the ovaries makes this fall by 50 per cent. Also that testosterone deficiency can result in loss of concentration, libido, self confidence etc etc. Could do without that! Does having chemotherapy affect testosterone production? In my case I couldn’t have testosterone patches as they can only be given with oestrogen, which I can’t have. Has anyone else faced a similar situation. “It’s up to you” is a bit hard without having all the facts. The reason to remove the unaffected ovary would be to prevent ovarian cancer in the future (which I understand is more likely if you have had breast cancer). Any pearls of wisdom greatly appreciated! And hello to anyone who remembers me - it’s a few months since I posted, but I had fabulous support here as I went through treatment. Thanks a lot. Sarah

hi not sure im in the right place but i just wanted some advice. like most ladies i was diagnoised in 06 with BC that had spread to my armpit neck and chest. had 2 different lots of chemo over 6 lots and went on to have herceptin. then had a mastectomy and lymph clearence. was told i would have to wait for a recon 4 a yr. my yr is up and now im being told that i cant have a recon due to the worry of my cancer showing up again. im still on herceptin for another 6mths. they say that putting myself through surgery to reconstruct is dangeress. but i have just had a full hysterectomy because of problems with bleeding heavy and a small syst.i now have a big hole in my scar that they think is infected. wont find out for 3 to 4 days. feeling very let down by the doctors i saw when i had my mastectomy in janthis yr and now very low about my hyserectomy scar. but my family just think that im moanin. not sure what to believe any more. just need to know if any one else has been told they cant have a recon for this reason too. poppet39

Hi Seabird and Poppet39

Seabird I wonder if the fact that the ovarian cyst hasn’t changed even after chemotherapy is a good sign? I think there are a few of us who are told we have various lumps and bumps or collection of blood vessels which show up in the scans but actually turn out to be harmless. Sounds like your gynae is not worried that it’s malignant in this case. I can’t help you with the testosterone question though but just wanted to give you a reply as you don’t seem to have had any yet and I thought this may reassure you about the cyst.

Poppet - yes I was told I couldn’t have reconstruction for about 2 years after the mastectomy just in case anything should come back. Sorry to hear you’re having problems with your scar - something that you don’t expect and don’t need to be happening. I also had 2 different chemos (6 in total) and just finished a year of herceptin. I have got used to not having a breast - know it sounds odd - but really I have and at some point maybe I’ll go for reconstruction but we’ll see. By the way - I think you meant to start another thread for your conversation. If you check out how to start your own discussion you can do it there.

Best wishes to both of you
Ruby

Hi Sarah

Can’t offer any words of advice I’m afraid but just wanted to say that it’s good to see you posting again as I have been thinking about you from time to time.

Have not long found out that I have the BRCA2 gene which means there’s an increased risk of ovarian cancer but because I have secondaries my oncologist isn’t that concerned about the ovarian risk.

Hope you get the answers you need soon.

C
xxx

Thanks for your answers.

Poppet, I am so sorry to read that you are going through such a distressing time. I do hope that you can link up with someone in a similar situation. You might like to try posting again in the “undergoing treatment” section. The heading I gave my post was rather specific and many people probably wouldn’t read it! I do hope that you get the support you need.

Thanks for your reply Ruby. Yes, you are right, the fact that the cyst is the same size as a year ago is good news, and that’s why the gynaecologist is happy to wait until next year. The risk of malignancy is totally minimal. although you only know for sure when the histology is done. I feel that it’s going to be benign, so let’s hope so!

And C, how lovely to hear from you, and I think of you as well, you are so inspirational and helpful to so many people, both here, and with your support group and the issues that you are involved with. Are there other family members that it will affect now that you know you have the BRCA2 gene? Hope that generally you are keeping on an even keel, and thanks for all the support you gave me.

If any one else does know about the testosterone issue I’d love to hear from you!
Thanks a lot
Sarah

hi ruby
thanks for replying was’nt sure if i was the only one that could’nt have recon done. looks like i have to get use to the idea.you think that your over one thing then something else pops up. had nurses out today they cleaned my scar up and will be coming back on friday again to change the dressing. not sure how to start a new discussion never done it before. poppet39

Hi Poppet if you go to the top of your computer screens to the left hand side, you’ll see a button that says discussions, if you look just under that, there is a button which says start a new discussion and when you click on this, you will see a drop down menu from which you can chose which category you’d like to put your discussion in as Sarah above has said and then people will reply to you. I think in some ways it gives you longer to think about what type of reconstruction you’d like as at the beginning of my treatment I had no idea about the options and now I feel pretty knowledgable.

Sarah - pleased to hear that the cyst hasn’t changed and your oncologist is happy to wait until next year.

Best wishes
Ruby xx

Hi ladies
I was Dx in 07, i had previously had a full hysterectomy in 93 for 10 years had implant of HRT+ Testosterone felt fantastic! But this contributed to my BC. So now going through menopause and have all the symptoms that go with it. Recently saw Onc who said my testosterone level was below what it should be, and perscribed me the patches which i have now been using for 6 weeks. At the moment not feeling to bad always been quite confident, libido was at zero but slight improvment but not how it was. Hope this maybe of help.
Jo