Choice of surgeon

My Breast care nurse has indicated that I can request a particular surgeon for my mastectomy and ax clearance planned for late March/ early April. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how one chooses a surgeon? I have tried to look for statistics from the hospital website and Dr Foster but to no avail so far. Did anyone else have a choice of surgeon or request a particular surgeon?
Thanks in anticipation of help
Sue

I would speak to other patients and your breast care nurse as to which surgeon they have had / recommend and also ask to see pictures of other mastectomies he has carried out . In my case I had a choice of surgeon ( although at the same hospital ) In my decision making I saw the neatness of his scars ( they were glued rather than sutured for neatness and to give a thin almost invisible scar ) I also chose a surgeon who did Sentinel node biopsy ( not all do ) and this can prevent having to have all the nodes removed and full axillary clearance if the sentinel node is found to be clear .I also think you have to have some trust and rapport with you’re surgeon so a good bedside manner is important and you feel you can talk to him .Another factor is how long is their waiting lists this might also be a factor if you want to get it over and done with sooner rather than later.Ask about follow -up care/scans etc and how often you will be seen and checked afterwards ( as some have different approaches ) Hope this helps in some way to help you make you’re choice xx and good luck with the op .

Hi Sue,
I agree with everything Julie says. When I was given an appointment for my diagnosis with a consultant/surgeon at King’s (he also works at the PRUH)I rang a GP friend to hear her view. She said if she were in my position he would be her first choice,he was a perfectionist and her patients that he had treated all had very neat scars.I also googled him and found positive recommendations from women who had had breast reductions/enlargements done by him privately.
My scars, after a lumpectomy, are very neat and well positioned. In fact, it becomes a little embarrassing as every time I’ve had to reveal them to a doctor or nurse, they’ve stood back to get a better look and made admiring comments!
I know we can’t put doctors names on here, but if you’re interested, you could pm me.
Good luck.
Annette

Hi Sue

You’re lucky to have a choice. I’ve been told by a professor at the Marsden that every BC surgeon has their own lymphodema risk stats, and also recurrence stats. I was told I’d have to ask the surgeon directly for those figures. I’d definitely include those in my decision-making.

xx Jane

I didn’t even meet my surgeon until an hour before I had my mx! My original consultant, fab lady, was going away and didn’t want me to have to wait, so I got put on another list… However, I can’t fault the surgeon, she was brilliant, very easy to talk to, and has left me with a neat scar. She also warned me about dog ears, but said that plastic surgeons were always delighted to see them if they occur (but I haven’t got any), and about the lump of fat on the side, under your armpit that would stick out strangely because it’s normally hidden by breast tissue - she was right about that! She said I needed to know in case I thought she was leaving breast tissue behind, but that it was just normal fat :frowning:

Still, even though I’m delighted with the job she did (inasmuch as you can be thrilled by losing a breast), it would have been nice to have had time to do some research. Still, at that point, I just wanted it GONE.

Sophie

Thanks all for the advice, this is much appreciated.
All through chemo I have been putting off thinking about it but as the surgery is now imminent I definitely would like to make the right choice, since this has been offered. There are three consultant surgeons on the Guys and StT’s website. I will be having an implant when I have the mx and a tram flap after rads so I there is the plastic surgeon to consider as well. I will definitely ask about lymphodema statistics.
Thanks again!
Sue

I’m having treatment at guys and st Thomas… And would certainly recommend my surgeon. Do DM me if you’d like more details…

Thank you, I have sent you a message.
Sue

Hi Sue
I had my mx, recon at Guys, St T’s a couple of years ago-very pleased with both the breast and plastic surgeon, do PM me if you’d like to. I know lots of women who have had breast surgery/recon there with the same and other surgeons and heard lots of positive comments about the surgical team generally.
C

C,
Thanks for your message. I will send you a message.
Sue