Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choices of Reconstuction surgery

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted

Re: Choices of Reconstuction surgery

Hi,

I've only just read your post, but was struck by the "how do they get enough fat". I had my DIEP 4 years ago and to recreate my 32E, they did a "double DIEP" which was using all the tissue and piggy backing one lot on top of the other and put also put a small implant in to the side to make up the difference. Two years later, I had a prophylactic mastectomy on the other side and had an IGAP reconstruction, which is using the underside of my buttock. This ended up being quite a bit smaller than my DIEP side, so I had a tidy up op which entailed removing the implant and liposuctioning the fat from my DIEP boob and putting it into my IGAP side.

I now have a great cleavage and I'm very glad I had it all done; I really think your own tissue gives the best result. I'm also very happy not having an implant and the fact that my smaller boobs are pretty much like the ones I had in my 20s - I'm now a B cup and all my bras have nice little straps!!

All the best with your surgery,

Sally x

Highlighted

Thanks for the advice. I am going to go for the implant for now and then consider the Diep at a later stage perhaps.

Snowie

Highlighted

Thank you Sozza123 I am dreading it, but it's great to hear it went well for you. It does help.
X

Highlighted

Joc
You will be absolutley fine. I had the same on 20th August and it was fine.
xxx

Highlighted

Lol Angie!
My surgeon took one look at my tum and said that he could easily reconstruct another E cup!

Highlighted

I am having a Mx and DIEP in 3 weeks so can left you know what it is like as I go through it if you like?

Highlighted

I am having delayed recon and my surgeon is very keen for me to have the LD flap with a permanent expander implant .. I have a couple of months to think about it ... I don't have big boobs and am very active and he thinks this is the best choice for me ... I did ask for the tummy flap but he's not keen and doesn't think I have enough tummy.. I do!!!

Highlighted

Hi Snowie,

I am having a delayed DIEP reconstruction - but am having implants in the interim. I have met with a few different surgeons and plastic surgeons (have the luxury of this as am having chemo prior to surgery so it bides some time).

All of the surgeons and plastic surgeons I have met say DIEP gives the best long term results - and I have met 3 girls who've had it done and were happy to share - and they looked fab - like proper boobs. The first lady hadn't had her nipples or anything done - so with her scars it looked a bit strange as my first "viewing" but the others had nipples and nipple tatoos and looked fab.

My last plastic surgeon explained that the implants aren't the same as implants that the celebs etc have as they have an implant that pushes forward the breast tissue. If you have a mastectomy you don't have any breast tissue left - so it's litereally just plastic that they say feels very cold and plasticy. They also need to be replaced over the years unlike the DIEP - although the DIEP involves longer and more surgery at the beginning.

Your BCN should be able to show you some implants and you could have a good feel. Maybe you could go for implants first and if you're not keen, swap to DIEP at a later date...?

Highlighted

Hi Snowie,
I agree with Sozza123, Dont fear the DEIP Flap op. My PS said its the '4 star' best results, and its over and done with. Implants can leak and eventually need replacing but of course it is entirely upon the individual what choice you eventually make. I'm small too, infact my PS said I could have done with putting on weight! He still managed to harvest enough tissue to do the recon (last October) and I'm so pleased with the result. I took a little longer to fully recover, no complications but just different patients react in different ways. There is a thread for DEIP Flap, type it in and you can read the comments from the other ladies.
Hope this helps
Hugs Chrissyx

Highlighted

Hi Snowie
Firstly do not fear the op, it is fine and not too painful.
I had a recon in Aug, taken from fat from my tum which is a DIEP.
My plastic surgeon says that this gives the best result.
They say 8 weeks recovery but to be honest I'm fine now 3 weeks later.
AND I now have a very pert boob and a flat tummy.
I hope that this helps.
xxxx

Highlighted

Choices of Reconstuction surgery

Hi
I was told yesterday I need a mastectomy and they have offered me an implant or DIEP and wondered if anyone had any strong views on good and bad of either. My instinct is telling me to go for the implant due to it being so much easier and it feels like less can go wrong, but is this the impatient option?!
Should I look at the longer term view of what the breast will look like for longer? I have fairly small breasts and don't really show them off much so them looking amazing isn't that big a deal and I don't have a very big tummy so how do they get enough fat!

Any thoughts?

Thanks