I was on oncs cut off, as I had a grade 2 but v large tumour ,8cm. But his words resonated with me, if you take all options ( chemo, rads, hormone treatment)we have excellent chance of getting anything that might be in your skin left from mx or any cells that slipped by the nodes. If you come back to me in 2 years time with secondaries we can treat you but can't cure you. No brainer on my part. I'd only kick myself, even if it does return, I feel I've given it my best shot.
Not sure that helps but it gave me food for thought.
Hope all goes well with you. Just had FEC5 and while not always fun and there will be times when you feel like giving up ( look out for no3 FEC), you will do it, partly cos you have to.
Luvvie,good on you,if i hadnt been so sick i would have carried on but it didnt seem worth it for me,there are lots of ladies who do get on quite well with chemo and i hope you are one of these,if not they can always change your antisickness drugs as neccessary,
Having slept on it I know I'm doing the right thing for me.
Im quite a 'sicky' person in as much as I suffer travel sickness, cannot go in lots of fairground rides etc etc. My oncologist did put a big asterisked note on his pad when I mentioned this! Being sick is my biggest fear.
I feel for you Di, having made a choice to be terribly I'll is horrid. I guess the good thing is that if that happens I also have the choice to stop. I hadn't really considered that!
Like you I too was borderline for chemo, my lump was grade 2 19mm, with a micro met on one lymph node, i'm 44. When I was first diagnosed with BC I was terrified of having chemo but as the weeks progressed I came to terms with the possibility of having to have it and by the time I was I was told it was my choice I almost embraced it! I also wanted to ensure i'd done absolutely everything within my power to get rid of it once and for all and never wanted to be in the position of thinking if only I'd had chemo. I've just finished 6 FEC and have been reasonably well throughout, I carried on working until 3 weeks ago but now feel ready for a rest, my hair is already growing back and I now have more hair than scalp. Good luck with your treatment.
Love Lydia x
Hi,i too was given the choice in aug 2010,2cm lump no nodes involved.I asked them to make the decision,they are the experts afterall.they said it was my choice but they couldnt guarentee it would be beneficial.i decided to go ahead with it as an added precaution but i was so ill after the 1st chemo i rang my bc nurse and asked her what she would do.she suggested that as long as i had the radiotherapy stopping the chemo wasnt an issue.When i did stop the chemo she said,"i wouldnt have had it anyway in your postion,now lets get on with radiotherapy" so I hope you make the decision which suits you best,hopefully if you go ahead you be one of those people who cope well with it,its a horrible choice to have to make.Good luck to you,
Hi there Luvvie,
I found out about the oncotype test via my sister in law who lives in California. She had it paid for on insurance. When I was diagnosed in December last year I was more worried about the chemo than the surgery. I had MX with an expander and go for my last fluid fill today.
So, I paid the money- used those precious rainy day savings. My sister in law's result came back on about 7, if I can remember rightly. They said that having the chemo presented more risk to her health than the cancer. Statistically.
My result came back at 40, which is in the definitely chemo range. To be honest, I was disappointed that it was so high, but it did help me come to terms with treatment. It just gave me more information. Inhindsight, with my lump having been 3cm Grade 3, perhaps I could have saved the money. But I was hoping that the fact that only one node was affected ( and that came out with the SNB, and the MX getting rid of the whole breast,) I was hoping that the stats would be favourable.
Hey ho,that seems like years ago now, but felt really important at the time. Ithink the oncotype test should be available over here ( maybe with some contribution) and my surgeon knew a lot about it. Felt verystrange paying out such a huge cheque in the Nuffield Hospital. But the oncotype test made my decision to go for chemo much more straightforward.
I started chemo in April ( see the April thread here) and have my last FEC next week. It has been tough, but the support on this forum has been a lifeline, so do start a thread or join one. Best of luck with it all. You are lucky to be part of the trial: it is really good that they are doing it!
Hi, just read your post with interest, and wondered what area do you live as I have also been offered the same trial, but was asked if I would pay £2500 as our Health authority would not fund it. I declined as consultant said the result would only be 50-50 chance of chemo being beneficial or not, hardly seems worth paying all that money for an even chance! also being a pensioner (67) could not afford it either. I am now still waiting for a date for my chemo and will see onc. next week. Pam
I had my WLE and SNB on 11th July, results last Thursday
I know I need radiotherapy and tamoxifen, but was 'borderline' for Chemo. I was told I had a choice!
I guess I should feel lucky that I have a choice as lots of ladies don't, but what a choice to have to make.
I've also been asked if I want to take part in a trial for Oncotype DX - its a test used in America which tests your tissue sample against 21 different factors and then asseses how beneficial chemo would be to you. The trial is to establish whether the patient finds the test useful in the decision making process as opposed to whether it is accurate in it's prediction etc (that's already been confirmed in USA)
I posted on here at the end of last week and then spent the entire weekend fretting and worrying. I've been reading up on the side effects of chemo (long and short term), trawling old posts to find out how people have coped with chemo and if anyone else has been in the unenviable position of having to make a 'choice'. I was really grateful to the advice I was given from the ladies on this site:-)
I met with the oncologist today to discuss it all.
Long and the short of it, the 2 factors which place me in the borderline category are 1) the size of my lump - it was just over the 2cm threshold, at 2.1cm and 2) my age, I'm considered young at 45.
Chemo does add benefit to my prognisis over the longer term - statistically anyway.
My gut feel is that I want to throw everything at this I can and don't want to be sat here in X years time, with a reoccurance and thinking that chemo might have made the difference.
I've made my decision to go with it and I will start on FEC at some point in August, irrespective of the Oncotype results - my lovely consultant said I didn't even need to know what they were if I didn't want to.
He finished the meeting by saying that if he was in my position he would be doing the same as me.
Strange - I've dreaded chemo since the moment I discovered my 'lump', and tonight for the first time in weeks, I feel calm..................................