Chosing a wig

I have just had 3 FEC and wore the cold cap. Fab results and although a lot of hair fell out. Didn’t need a wig and as I have very thick hair (but had it cut short ready for chemo) you couldn’t tell. But I am now on Paclitaxel and decided against the cold cap as it would mean 5 hours with it. Hair is now falling out in handfuls but just about getting away without a wig. Made an appointment for Saturday if they have room for me. Dilema. Do I go for style like my own hoping no one will be able to tell. Or go for something completely different like a bob or spikey and people will know it is a wig who know me cos of my hair before. I am still working full time so would have to wear the wig all the time at work (they know about the bc). This is the bit i am dreading cos there are some mickey takers at work who will say something even though I have told them I am sensitve about this part of the treatment. I am not an extrovert at all unless i have had a couple of glasses wine. Now theres a thought…

Hi Mandy

That is exactly my dilemma. Work!
I work in a mainly male environment - and everyone knows.
Im not quite at the stage of chemo yet - just had a mast 2 weeks ago and waiting for path report.
however, it is likely that I will need it.

I dont know whether to have hair cut short and try cold cap, or leave it and let if fall out and get a wig the same…

Choices!
Lisa

I got one almost identical like mine and no one notices so it makes me feel better as no stares at me

Joanne

Try everything on that you can and go with the one that YOU like the look of. You will only wear it if you like it, I listened to other people and the wig never came out of the bag cos I hated it.

One other piece of advice if I can be so bold, tell your work mates to sod off.

AJxxx

Hi Mandy. We all have to deal with this the way we feel most comfortable. My usual hair was a straight bob with a fringe, but there was nothing like that when I tried on wigs. In the end I went for a really short one, as I thought it would be the easiest to wear (all the longer ones seemed as though they would feel scratchy at the back of my neck). Some weeks later I saw another wig that I thought looked almost exactly like my old hair, and I bought it in an instant. Expensive mistake! Just always looked too much like a wig, also you couldn’t tuck it behind your ear, and I had the long droopy look!. Only ever wore it about twice. The short one I can wear all day long (12 hours very often), and have had lots of compliments on it. Personally I am always more than happy to say it’s a wig (have been asked where I get my hair cut!), but that’s a very individual thing. So, try lots on, be open minded, and go for what you feel good in. Very best of luck - Sarah

I got one exactly like my own hair, straight bob brown and had lots of compliments from those who knew it was a wig and those that don’t haven’t even noticed - I am not working through my chemo so don’t have your problem but agree with AJ tell them what to do!..or burst into tears so that they feel really awful. The word will get round and nobody else will dare mention it. I am going for a new wig next week but this time feel and more confident and better about it so am going to go for something really different - maybe short with lots of hilights. Good Luck
XX

Well that is good to know. I wasnt sure that a short wig would be good.
However, if I get my hair cut short similar to a short wig, then could try the cold cap as well.

Oh dear… its a lot to think about!
Lisa

Try a few wigs on (take a good friend with you) and you’ll soon see what you feel comfortable with and what’s “you”.

I’ve always wanted really long hair (normally shoulder length dark blonde hair) and fancied being a brunette - so that’s what I went for with my wig - very brave for me. I felt very self-conscious going out at first thinking everyone must know it’s a wig because it was so different - but no-one had a clue. I even went to a cancer support group and everyone assumed it was my real hair even though I said I was going through chemo!!

I don’t have the work problem either but I think you could make someone who made comments to you feel uncomfortable by telling them bluntly what you’re going through. I found it usually pulls people up short.

You learn to laugh off the comments/feelings about wigs - my 3 yr old daughter told someone I don’t know very well (and who didn’t know that I had bc) that I was wearing a wig. Surprisingly, the other person was more embarrassed than me!

I went for a wig very different than my own hair, i have short messy hair but went or a chin lengh bob. When i showed eveyone at work they all loved it, ( i showed them while i still had hair). Now i have lost my hair i really hate the wig because it is so different.
Do take a really good friend with you
Good luck jo xx

I had my long, brunette hair cut to an chin-length bob just before my first chemo. I chose a wig the same length length but with lovely highlights - which was what I had always wanted in my real hair.

Like you, I was really nervous about wearing my wig for work as there were also some mickey takers there - but they actually said they loved it and so did everyone else, it really boosted my confidence. I even had a cashier in M & S remark on my ‘lovely hair’!

One thing I would say, if you can find one in the style you like, monofilament wigs do look really realistic and have a natural parting, which you can alter to suit yourself.

I have finished chemo now, and my hair is coming back thick and fast - it did come through patchy at first - and I have packed my wig away.

Good luck with your treatment, and I hope you find the perfect wig.

Tracy xxx