68.4K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chubb Club. Who will join me on this new journey ????

107 REPLIES 107
Ali_H

Re: Chubb Club. Who will join me on this new journey ????

Thank you for the carrot tip, I'll try that! Nothing lost, nothing gained...ah well. Has anyone tried the Hairy Dieters/Bikers book? Mentioned on another thread, I'm off to look it up online...
vercors

Down one kilo not done one kilo. So I need to learn to spell as well.

wintersocks

Vercors,
Wow ! you are doing amazingly well! congrats to you.
I ate the cake that i made for my son's birthday (15 on Sun).
Now, i think I must weigh that!!
Whoops,

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi fellow dieters.I have been in Cyprus for the last 4 weeks dog sitting for friends who have gone on holiday.2 more weeks to go.
I have not weighed since I have been here but know I have put weight on even though I have been swimming every day.Too hot to walk!Think its something to do with the alcohol which I know is not good for me.
Well done to all to all of you keep up the good work.xxx
Foxy

Not posted since been on holiday, lots of exercise but also eastern european meat and potatoes diet! I seem to have plateaued. But at least I'm not putting any more on. I KNOW it's the alcohol but a glass (or three) of red wine is so tempting, and starting to put Christmas meals in the diary already. I'll have to volunteer to be the sober driver but in the meantime redouble my efforts. Good luck everyone.

Foxy
xxxxxx

vercors

4kg sofar, another 6 to go. Slowly but surely, I WILL get there

cherub

Oh dear, I was a little piggy at the weekend, Chinese, wine and choc but I'm back to being virtuous again.
Really hard though, because this is OH's bread baking day - we have a wholemeal poppy seed loaf, one with sun dried tomatoes and basil (yum) and 4 small cobble rolls. All done from scratch, no breadmaker as OH says that's cheating! He even bought himself a huge Kenwood Chef mixer for Christmas!
Oh the heavenly smell wafting from the kitchen, I must restrain myself, either that or hit the gym tomorrow

vercors

It is too quiet here. How is everyone doing with their weight loss?
Cherub, well done with the weightloss, keep going.
I lost another 1.5kg this week which means I am over the third of the way. Have a good week everyone.

cherub

Half a pound off this week. That means me and my OH have lost a stone and a half between us.

vercors

Wintersocks, you need to concentrate on getting over the op. Leave it a month before tackling weight issues.
A MX takes an awful lot out of you. Don't feel guilty.
Carmy, I am just slightly lighter than you by less than one kg.
Back to work now!

wintersocks

Cannot face the weight issue this week as less than 1 week post-op for MX. I wil think about it next week. Congrats to all those who have managed to loose.

WSx

Guest user
Not applicable

Woohoo Vercors, that's great! 2kg is a lot!
Thanks for the carrot tip. God luck for this week.
I'm at 75kg now. Let's see how I'm doing at the end of the week.
vercors

2kg lighter, not a bad start. I need to keep focussed.
Ali H, Welcome to the club. Every time I want a snack, I eat a carrot instead and I also have one if I start cooking and I am hungry. This prevents me from cooking too much and tasting the food as I go along...
Good luck Carmy.

Guest user
Not applicable

Cherub, well done for maintaining!
I went on a weekend away, the closest I'll have to some holidays this year, and I put on more weight. I decided to be free those 2 days and eat as I pleased, so I saw it coming. Tomorrow I go back to work and to some sort of routine, so I expect to be able to control myself more. Will keep posting! xxx
cherub

I maintained this week, still, better than putting a pund back on. I;ve signed up to SW online again for another 12 weeks up to near Christmas. Hopefully I can lose another 10lbs. I think if I could get down to something like 10 1/2 stone I'd be happy as I'd be about a size 12 / 14 then. Anything lower would be a bonus, but I'm 51 and not looking to be the skinny size 10 I was in my youth

Ali_H

I would love to lose the half stone that's crept on over chemo, can I join in please?? I'm trying to find a way through the new "what not to feed cancer with" advice (ie cut back /out sugar and dairy) whilst not getting faddy and still eat healthily...basically I'm easily confused....!
My biggest problem is my sweet tooth, and the late afternoon munchies...any suggestions for healthy, weight loss friendly, fill you up till dinner time snacks please....
vercors

When this thread was started, I thought that I ought to join the club. Then I realised I was just about to go on a three weeks hols to France. Wine cheese. Good food, so I thought better wait. I weighed myself on Sunday 76.1 kg ( sorry ladies, I only do metric).
My BMI is 28, so officially overweight. Since I came back from my hols, I have stopped snacking and alcohol and already lost 1.5kg. My brother is also trying to reduce his wasteline, so we will be sending eachother our weekly weight.
If I can't do it on my own, I will be joining weight watchers. i did it 20 years ago, and it really worked for 15 years... Does anyone know if I need my GP to agree to this?
goog luck everyone.

Guest user
Not applicable

Since I last posted here, I've been going for super long walks before rads every morning. Rads is at 10am, so it does me good to exercise before it gets too hot. I don't want to weight myself yet as it's too soon, but I do feel lighter and better, and I have hardly woken up these past nights. It was all sleepless nights with hot sweats the nights before. I'm having a hard time not eating much sugar, as I've got a massive sweet tooth, but I'm slowly accepting it is for the best and something I should change for good. I haven't given up carbs, but reading your posts I feel inspired to do it!
Many strength and healthiness vibes for everyone! We can do this. 🙂
cherub

triphazard99, glad the Dr Briffa book worked for you. Unfortunately it didn't for me. This was the diet I mentioned in an earlier post that I followed rigidly along with my OH for 3 months and beyond the first 2 weeks we had pretty much zero results. We go to the gym 3 mornings a week for an hour before work too, and we do other exercise in between - mine is Swiss ball workouts with weights and a DVD, his is 10 pin bowling in a league.

Another thing I get fed up with, is when I go to my GP she just barks at me to walk more if I want to shift weight - she seems to think 40 mins hard work on a treadmill, recumbent bike, plus resistance exercise doesn't count. I think it's because the NHS is promoting walking. I also get told to dump certain stuff from my diet that I eliminated donkeys years ago, then she gets the diet plate out like I'm a stupid 12 year old. We cook all our meals from fresh and have a garden full of veg, but I'm sure she assumes I devour McD's every day. Hacks me off that I don't get listened to, tshe just assumes anybody overweight heats stuff in the micro every night. I had to insist on getting something done about my high blood pressure at my last visit as well, as I was really fed up of hospital consultants pointing it out to me and GPs pooh poohing it.

Guest user
Not applicable

I'm managing to maintain my weight loss despite having the odd treat and not feeling guilty!
It's hard but now I think I just plan food intake a lot better...
I would love to lose more but I don't seem to be able to so I am feeling glad that maintaining a good weight is keeping me positive. I've lost 9lbs already since my original growth! It's come down very gradually but I still find lunches difficult to plan without bread!
I've been very very busy this summer so I've been taking lots of household/garden extra exercise as well as my usual walking but unfortunately my health hasn't been good so I've been told to give up swimming and gym for the forseeable future.... Feeling very very weary with ill health so it's always a compromise isn't it?
Good luck to everyone for maintaining if not losing weight.

Welsh girl x
Guest user
Not applicable

Mgsm - that's my regime too, and have lost a stone so far, pretty effortlessly. Before anyone else gets mad (!), I am normally the most dreadful person at losing weight, the minute I accept I need to change my eating habits, I instantly obsess about food - and have done all my adult life, so can't blame bc for that! However, I do blame the chemo for the 2 stone I put on in six months during treatment .....

I read a book called 'Escape the Diet Trap' by Dr John Briffa which explains why cutting carbohydrates can break the eating habits of a lifetime, and stop you constantly feeling hungry, then over full, then hungry again. There is a lot of science behind it too - not just some celeb fad thing - and it explains a lot of my diet 'failures' in the past. Cutting carbs out this seriously is not an easy thing to do ... for the first couple of weeks .. although I wasn't in the least hungry, I felt mentally deprived at not being able to gorge on pasta, or cheese and onion crisps .. or even have one chip (even though I don't actually like chips or crisps all that much). Two weeks in though, and I found I was sleeping better, felt more alert, and had lost 8 lbs. I haven't been perfect since then, but I reckon I go carb-free at least 80% of the time, and when I do eat a little pasta or rice I don't feel guilty anymore .. and if there's one thing that bc should teach us it's that life is too short for beating yourself up!!
I do think that tamox, is making the weight loss harder than it would have been in the past, and although my energy levels have increased dramatically since quitting the sugar habit (mostly), they are still not back to pre-bc days, so advice to up exercise etc etc whilst well meaning is not necessarily practical. If I can get through the entire day at work on my feet, hoover and cook when I get home, and walk the dog, I'll take that as active enough, thanks!!!
Hang on in there everyone who is struggling to lose weight. I do not believe there is a one size fits all diet plan, anymore than one size fits all clothing!!!!
cherub

Whoops - should have siad I'm doing online SW! Only half a pound last week, but I was out 2 nights, so had to be a bit flexible.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi girls, I'm ready to join you! I've put on 8.8 lbs since dx. It has all gone down to my hips and bum and not a single of my trousers fits me, so it's all wide summery skirts for me now. I need to lose it if I don't wanna have to buy a whole new winter wardrobe. I also have this wedding in Liverpool at the end of October, and all year to get myself going I've imagined myself at it, happy, without the head scarf already, and with a nice fitting dress. I'm gonna try to fit in a nice dress by then (as opposed to a potato sack)!
We can do this! *\o/* *\o/* *\o/* <--- Those are our weigh loss cheerleaders
cherub

Hi, I did online WW Pro Points last year and gave up on week 10 as I had GAINED about 8lbs on it. It just didn't work for me and their forums were full of people who were questioning whether it worked as they were struggling. I then bought the book "Escape the Diet Trap" by Dr Briffa and me and my OH followed it to the letter for 3 months, cutting out bread, spuds, rice etc and snacking on things like nuts as recommended. Result - nothing, the testimonials in the book are from people who say they lost loads, inches from their waist etc. I then read somewhere it works for men who drink a lot of beer as they have to cut it out, so weight loss for them seems pretty obvious. Sadly neither of us drinks beer lol!

I'm now doing only SW and have lost about 10lb over 10 weeks. I had expected more by now as I set my first target to 12st, but I'm not there yet (3lbs to go). However, I'm enjoying it and think I will sign up again. 10lbs has made a huge difference as I'm getting things done up I haven't had on since before BC. OH is keeping me company and has shed half a stone. I've also been put on mild BP meds recently after finally getting a GP to take my BP and blipping sugar levels seriously (this is a hangover from being on steroids). Thsi seems to have helped as I no longer have swollen feet/ankles.

BC left me post menopausal and weight is not easy to shift once you are there, believe me (although I guess some of you may already know that).

wintersocks

I seem to have gone up to 11.2!! I really don't know why this is happening. I don't feel I am eating loads and have cut out sweet treats except for very occasionally. I am thinking of stopping carbs too. but I have my op next week so maybe not the time to start it.
not doing much exercise either, probably why the weight is piling on. I can't be bothered.
wsx

Jellylegs

hi, just got back from hols and have put 5lbs on! But back to the grind stone now.xx

Guest user
Not applicable

still going down but very gradually.....dont eat carbs!
Have cut out almost all carbs for the last 6 months.....eat bread about twice a week at most .. have tiny amount of sugar in the fruit coulis that I make to eat with fromage frais/yoghourt but sometimes I use honey...depends on the fruit. Ate some couscous today!
But I do eat fats but never with carbs. So no chips, roast potatoes etc. Have butter on my veg but not on bread. Eat cheese but not with biscuits......
Weighed in at the weekend at 68.2 which is just under 11 stone I think....(was 82.7 (13 stone?)when I started the regime)
Have cut back on alcohol too...had my first gin and tonic today in about 9 months ....was good but not that good.
Mary
Guest user
Not applicable

I managed to put 1lb on!! It was all that food at Champneys.Weather was lovely, managed a walk round the grounds, yoga class and swimming.Didnt get to ride bikes to the pub so saved on calories! Yesterday we did a 5 mile walk and had lunch out at the end of it.Wont be too good this week either as we are going to Norfolk for a few days to see both of our sons who live there.Will try to be good! x
wintersocks

10.12lb, but stayed at friends, so used her scales. difficult to get an accurate figure.

Lakeslover

Stayed the same this week.

Foxy

Bumping this up to remind you all to post, 1 lb for me this week. I'm sure you've all done much better!

Foxy
xxxxxx

wintersocks

11. 1lb. So a gain of a lb. Whoops! is going in wrong direction. But is different set of scales from home. Have an unexpected extra chemo to go on Fri, so I will be on steroids again from Thurs. I will be surprised if there is not further gain. I'm not happy at the thought of that.
Foxy, sorry to hear of your upsetting diagnosis, but well done on maintaining the weight.
WSX

Guest user
Not applicable

Keep up the good work Foxy! we will get there, just think of those shorts! Your walking holiday sounds great.
Hope your diagnosis is not too distressing xxx
Foxy

Congratulations Taurus!

I was wondering where everyone was too. I've stayed the same weight this week but had two meals out for birthdays and missed my mid-week walk as I had a hospital appointment (non BC related for once). Got a diagnosis which was a bit upsetting so comfort ate a bit but have just come back from two days with a good female friend in the Peak District which cheered me up so plan to get back on track again. 4 weeks to my next walking holiday and I need to get into those shorts.
See you next week

Foxy
xxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Whats happened to everyone weighing in on Sunday?I was away all day so weighed this morning.lost lb2!! Probably put it back on this week,my daughter is taking me to Champneys for a couple of days on Thursday,food there is lovely,bound to eat to much.
Will do the exersize classes if I am able and will have a bike ride.Only trouble is the bikes have a will of their on and end up at a pub!!Will let you all know how much I gain this week! xx
Zeppa

Ah well, it was a bit misleading to me that you said: Here is the advice of my daughter who hasn't got BC and is young. Apologies for using the word 'the idea' in view of your degree in biological sciences, but you put it over so definitively that I thought I should warn you that losing weight isn't that easy.
Anyway, I see this is in the 'after treatment is over' section so I will come back when my five years are up.

JCJ

You can disagree all you like! It doesn't bother me, as I was only trying to help. I got 'the idea' from the fact I have a degree in Biological Sciences and know what nutrients the body needs to function. The carbs contains wholegrains - if you choose sesible carbs eg wholegrain cereals, wholemeal bread, brown rice etc and avoid over processed white bread. Potaoes, especially with their skins on are very good for you as they have vitamin c as well as fibre and carbs.
Zeppa

Well, I don't agree with you, JCJ, but this is not the place for an argument! I do agree that we shouldn't cut out any food groups. I think that 'piling the weight back on' is a general problem, especially related to the speed you lost weight, not what types of food you ate. But I'm sure we all have our own opinions.

I was actually wondering where you got this idea from, and I see it's the NHS eatwell plate. I had never heard of it. I am not in the UK. It does look better to the food pyramid, but it still has too much potatoes and white bread on it - actually, it says nothing about whole grains - and as I've got prediabetes it wouldn't work for me. I think it is OK if you are not very overweight.

JCJ

A balanced, healthy diet should be made up of 1/3 carbs, 1/3 fruit and veg and the last 1/3 all the rest (proteins, fats, sugars.) Yes, carbs break down to sugar, but SLOWLY so you stay feeling satisfied for longer. Watch out that you don't add fats to your cereals, pasta, bread, spuds etc though! Eating sugery, fatty foods give you an instant sugar rush. The excess glucose is removed by your body so you feel hungry again very quickly. Fruits contain more complex sugars, which again, take time to be converted to glucose.

To get weight off, and keep it off, you need to maintain the balance of food types but just eat less of everything. Cutting out a particular food type is bad for you in the long term, and will just make you pile the weight back on when you stop, if you only do it short term.
Zeppa

Congratulations to your daughter, JCJ and best wishes for her. I know you're trying to help, but I just feel envious. I wish I were pre-menopausal and didn't have to take anti-hormone tablets, and that I had the energy to do more exercise - I do some every day, but I can't go as fast as before chemo.

The advice to fill up on carbs and fruit is a bit confusing because some fruit contains lots of sugar and bread will turn into glucose. I'm not so sure that stops you wanting to nibble. I can't help feeling it's a case where if you're young and fit you can lose weight despite eating too many carbohydrates. Another thing is, if she was eating takeaways before, maybe she is eating more healthily now. My problem is that I have always cooked for myself, but chemo and Tamoxifen/aromatase inhibitors made things radically more difficult.

One thing I hate about these tablets is that not only do they drastically reduce the number of calories I would need to lose weight on, but they also increase my appetite.

JCJ

Just butting in here. I've read so much about the danger of dieting - and seen the results of faddy diets when people pile the weight back on, with interest, after the diet ends.

My daughter lost loads of weight by reducing portion size and vastly increasing her exercise (she was walking an hour each way to work and back every day, and having little money for food. Previously she'd having been a take-away eating sedentary student for several years!!) She went from a size nearly 18 to a size 8 to 10 in 12 months.

Admittedly she is young, in her 20s and has not had BC treatments to contend with, but her advice is do NOT cut out bread etc but fill up on carbohydrates, fruit + veg and lower the fat and sugar content of meals. This stops you wanting to nibble between meals and means you are getting the nutrients your body needs. Obviously 'fill up' doesn't mean 'pig out' - you do need to watch the portion size!
Jellylegs

Hi, I have tried really hard this week and have put 1 lb on, feel at bit down hearted but hey ho worse things could happen. Well done to everyone who lost.xx

Guest user
Not applicable

I find bread bloats me,tho I do like it,its home made veg soup and rivita for me at lunch time.Off for my 3mile walk to Sainsburys now.Just hope I can lose some weight this week x
Guest user
Not applicable

Congratulations to those who've lost a few pounds but after dieting for the first time in my life I found that after weeks/months of sensible eating I never lost anything at all but then suddenly lost about 4 or 5 pounds!
So take heart! It really is a slow business.
I was 10stone 4lbs after BC eventually when life settled down after about two years after surgery....
Then I decided to tackle the weight issue.
I don't drive so have to walk everywhere and I'm a pretty busy sort of person but I decided to take up swimming again and eat even more healthily. I ate healthily but after no weight loss I decided my problem is portion control!!!
Tried to eat less but it is difficult when you're actually hungry!!!
I took up gym membership for the very first time in my life as an NHS prescription, prompted by a visit to NHS dietician and I did all the right things but then I went on three short holidays all with cooked breakfasts!!!
Well I was back to 10st 2lbs after previously dropping 9lbs.
So I'm starting again and hoping that it will gradually drop down again....
However, I am dog sitting so with even more walking I am very very knackered but have lost an extra 2lbs this fortnight. Is this really worth it????
So now at 9st 11lbs I am fantasizing about a chocolate bar after a very late walk with the dog and the thought of a carrot stick or an apple is just not what I want, but because I've confessed here about the Crunchie bar that is calling out to me I will go and cut up the apple!!!

Can you see my halo?

PS I am short at 5foot so need to lose enough to return to 9st 4lbs in order to get into the normal BMI range.
Personally I don't think it is possible to be that weight ever again but I do so want to do everything I can for this BC not to recur. It really is a hard struggle isn't it?
Anybody got any good ideas for lunches. I struggle not to include bread in some form.....
Guest user
Not applicable

please can i post this here...i've lost enough weight to be able to go into the shops here in town and buy something....i live in france where most women are tiny....when i was a size 16/18 i didnt dare try to find anything in the little shops but last week i bought two pairs of linen trousers and a blouse all size 14 . Very pleased. Used to have to wait til I could get to a Marks and Spencers.
wintersocks

10. 5lbs - scales at home. so maintaining, it appears!

Guest user
Not applicable

Another 1lb and a half off, well pleased.
Lakeslover

Also went the wrong way this week and have put on 2lbs as well. It feels like water retention though so fingers crossed it will come off this week. I am on Tamoxifen too, and diabetic which means I am already careful about what I eat.

Guest user
Not applicable

Me too, out for lunch with daughter and OH. disappointed this week despite walking 2/3 miles a day and eating the right things I managed to put on 2lb!! Must have something to do with the alcohol,we go out Tues eves, will try to just have soda water this week.Oh and it was grandaughters sports day Friday so we had lunch out after! More booze! Still blame the tamoxifen!
Good luck everyone, I will do better this week.x
weme

I'm weighing in a bit early today as well as I have a busy day ahead. I'm really pleased after going 1lb the wrong way last week, I've lost 3lb this week so that's 2lb loss from 1st week. Weme