cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cinderella Tea on the South Bank?

65 REPLIES 65
blondie

Re: Cinderella Tea on the South Bank?

10 or 11th would suit me - still packing too!

Blondie

dippykate

yet again, my post has gone missing!!! I don't understand it was here this morning but gone now!!!!
I thought maybe going for the 10th or 11th June at 2pm at the Festival Hall unless someone can come up with a better venue!!!
Worn out - had to get stuff for youngest's birthday party on sunday and go to theme park tomorrow with him and friend. Doctor thinks twin daughter who has SATS next week probably has glandular fever so will probably have to do SATS at home!!!!
Then had to help son pack for scout competition this weekend.
Kate

blondie

Well I can do 9th, 10th, 11th June but wb 16th I have treatment on Tueday 17th (so that means that Dawn (DM1968) will have too) and will be recovering 18th but I could probably manage the Thursday 18th. Other than the food, was the venue suitable for a meet? Would you recommend that we meet there again? How about a 2.00 pm, that would give people time to get there, be after the lunch crowd and we could escape before the rush.

I am off to Barbados on Saturday so I will catch up with you all on my return.

Blondie

EamesK

Yes we had a great day blessed with good weather and great company. It was lovely to see everyone and finally put a face to some familiar names. I agree that an earlier time would be good as we had to dash off to meet up with a friend I had promised to meet, so had to leave earlier than I wanted.
We (me and sis Mary) managed to avoid the worst of the rush getting back to Covent Garden to see the Lion King.
It was good but more dancy than singing. The actors wre brilliant, especially the younger ones.

Let me know if there are any other meets planned as I am more than happy to travel to suit others, Jacksy will mail you a copy of my photos, but I only have two.

Kate 🙂

Kay123

Really glad to hear you had such a lovely time - would have loved to have been able to join you. Maybe next time?Thursdays are the best day for me (I work the other days and can't always rearrange things).

Love to all

Kay x

manon

We couldn't have done better for the weather - I don't get to that part of London often and it was lovely to overlook the river and chat. I haven't checked my scan yet to see where the fibroids are - if I can locate them I'll see if I can see the haemorroids too.
Yes thanks, had a very nice evening out eating sushi at a restaurant quite close to where we met. I paid of course - but hey, that's what mums are for. I'm definitely up for another meet. I can never be 100% sure of making it because of work commitments but I'll do my best whenever I can.

love to all
Barbara

Jacksy

Hi All,
Yes it was a beautiful day for sitting by the river. We had a slightly anxious moment finding each other - Kate (dippy) and I found each other first, in the gift shop, then spent a couple of minutes eyeing up likely looking women who were also waiting around outside. Most of them turned out to be with men tho, so that ruled them out! Then Kate and her Sis arrived, after a morning of shoe-shopping in Oxford St. Manon joined us, then we went outside and found a shady table. The cakes were definitely interesting (garlic pesto and spinach muffin, rhubarb muffin, arty honey and nut tart with a selection of beautifully-arranged nuts on). We chatted long and hard about everything from kids and jobs through to what they can see on your CT scan (fibroids seem to be a popular one - can they see our haemorrhoids?!!).
We dispersed about 5.30. I don't know about the others but the journey home was a nightmare of 'sardines' - completely crammed in under someone's armpit and nowhere to move to, let alone look for a seat.
Lovely to meet you girls, and I hope Kate and (Mary? sorry, forgotten) had a great evening at Lion King, and Manon with your Son. Photos will be coming - I've just got to recharge the camera before I can get to them...
love Jacquie

dippykate

Yes, Manon, Chemical Kate ( and her sister) and Jaksey and myself were there. We sat outside overlooking the river. Interesting arty cakes!!!! It was good to put faces to names. It was good to be able to meet evryone and again it was noticeable that the thing that annoys us secondaries folk a lot is that we all look so well!!!! It was good to meet and exchange email addresses and chat about how we all are and what is happening.
For me for the next meet, an ealrlier time would be better as it meant returning home in the rush hour - not that much earlier or you hit the rush hour in the morning - prob late lunch time 130 - 2pm.
For me the best days are tues - thur except I hve chemo some thursdays but can do mondays. Would prefer not a friday. I suppose a date in June would be best or else you start to hit summer holiday time. Let's hope not so many are ill next time. I've still got a chest infection and that's seems to have hit everyone round here regardless of age or health.
Let's keep the momentume going. The week beginning of 9th or 16th June?
Any preferences?
Kate

blondie

Hi all
Did any of you get to meet at the South Bank? You couldn't have asked for better weather and the riverside must have been beautiful. Lets hope that the next Cinders Day gets wonderful weather, and lots of takers. Any ideas for a new date anyone?

Blondie

Jacksy

Oh Girls, That's too bad. What's going on, with everyone getting sick?
Such a shame we won't see you, but even worse that you are poorly.
Take good care all of you and use the rest (and holiday) to get your strength back.
We will be thinking of you tomorrow, and arrange another meet soon, to hopefully scoop up those of you who can't make it.
Love Jacquie

ForumMember

Feel awful in having to say this but can't now come either as I'm up at the hospital. The others won't be going either I'm afraid as one of them was admitted to hospital on Friday as she's got a fracture in her hip and my friend from Dorset is now working that day.

Sorry not to be there.

blondie

So sorry to hear you are poorly - glad you have a holiday to look forward to, that should work wonders. We can always arrange another Cinderella Day and maybe I can get to that one too.

Blondie

AnneS

Hi all,
Unfortunately I am now laid up at home with a chest infection which came on very suddenly with a high temp. yesterday. After waiting for over 5 hours at the hospital where I felt I was handled very badly, (my temp was up to 37.9 and I had to just sit around with everyone else just waiting in a normal assessment unit), they decided it was a chest infection and let me go with antibiotics. I had my 8th taxol on Wednesday and had been doing so well throughout - still - after rest and antibiotics I'm sure I'll pick up again but travelling to London from South Wales on Tuesday will be out! I've got the next 3 weeks off chemo and we're going to France for a much-needed holiday a week on Tuesday so I need to get myself better.
I really hope to meet you ladies another time and hope you all have a great time.

Anne

angee

I just wanted to say I hope you all have a fantastic time. I am so sorry i cannot join you as i am recovering from CSF leak malarkey but I am sure there will be other times.

Angee x

blondie

I appear to have left HUMPHR10 off the list (apologies) please drop a line if you are coming. Perhaps now is the time to remind anyone joining this thread lately that this Cinderella Day is open to anyone with secondaries that can make the venue and wants to meet up with people possibly with post chemo hair, carrying strange bags and waving at complete strangers who may, or may not, be wearing pink.... or red...or ?? Anyway I am sure it will be fun and just good to meet up with people who are all in the same boat and can enjoy a laugh together.

Blondie

manon

So all I need to look out for is 2 5'8 women and 2 small women and it should be fine! I'm incapable of deciding what to wear that far in advance - it sort of depends on what has made it out of the wash. Still, I, sure there won't be too many throngs of women hanging around. I'm 5'6 by the way with grey hair (but only until the end of May!!!)

Barbara

EamesK

Sister and me - both small and will be looking lost and probably be wearing red jacket - short dark post chemo hair. Someone wave to me and I'll know im in the right place 🙂 Cant wait to see you all! Kate

Jacksy

This is the updated list, I think:
ChemicalKate + big sister – Confirmed
Jacksy – Confirmed
AnneS - Confirmed
dippykate-confirmed
pinkdove (plus 3 and a friend from Dorset)
manon
JulsRis
fayjay69 (will confirm nearer the time)
That's thirteen of us. Please can others who are not confirmed drop us a line?
I don't know what I'll be wearing or which of my bags I'll be carrying - I'll still be deciding 2 mins before I leave the house! (Bags are a bit of a passion). I'm 5ft 8 as well, with short curly post-chemo hair, a browny plum colour.

Really looking forward to seeing you all.
love Jacquie

dippykate

Well I can come still but getting my maths confused to how many there are!!!
I don't fancy all wearing the same colour but think we would probably recognise others.
I'm 46 and will have my blue flowery walking stick with me, a John Lewis Jute Bag and a brown VW transporter Haynes Manual handbag with me - (rather an eclectic collection) and I'm 5 ft 8 so not easily missable!!!

dm1968

Hi Me again,

Sorry just seen you had Allie4 down too. She will not be attending as far as I know, as unfortunately last we heard from her husband she was not very well at all, and in hospital, waiting to go to a local hospice. Really really sad news, as Allie is a lovely lady, completely mad with a wicked sense of humour.

Take care all
Dawn
xxx

dm1968

Hi

Sorry not coming, leaving my Herceptin day as is, as moved back by a week last one due to my hols, so don't wanna mess around with this one. Apologies. Hopefully next time.

Regards
Dawn

wendycrackers

Sorry, I can't come either

Kay123

Hi Blondie

Unfortunately I can't now make this date - am back at work and have a meeting I need to go to.

Hope everyone who does go though has a wonderful time.

Lots of love

Kay xx

manon

I'll be there - look forward to meeting you all. I have a pink jumper if that helps...

Barbara

blondie

Hi fellow Cinders

I think that we need a roll call so that so we know who is attending - I have updated the list of those who showed an interest, and it looks like this:

ChemicalKate + big sister – Confirmed
Jacksy – Confirmed
AnneS - Confirmed
dippykate
wendycrackers
Kay123
allei4
manon
JulsRis
Mrsblue - can't come
Jennywren - can't come
Angee - can't come
dm1968 (like me - is having Herceptin)

Can those who have not commented recently just confirm that they are going to be there and I can compile a ‘will be there’ list.

Arrangements for meeting are as previously stated:

The Royal Festival Hall, Riverside Terrace Cafe, 3.00pm Tuesday 6 May for our first meet. Meet by the Shop on the 'Blue side' of the venue (there is only one Gift Shop).
Any ideas about identifying yourselves? Failing carrying a poster, you could all carry a rolled up magazine in your left hands and wear something pink – just a thought!

Blondie

mrsblue

The day is getting nearer... unfortunately I won't be joining you after all. Hope it goes really well.

angee

Hi everyone,

I am going to give this Cinders Day a miss as I have been unwell recently and am only out of hospital a week so am taking things easy at the moment and building up my strength gradually. I think with the travelling, at the moment the day will be too long and tirign for me but i am very keen to meet up with you all at a later date (if I haven't met you through my photography project in the meantime).

Have a great afternoon,

Angee xx

AnneS

Hi All,

Am now very much hoping to make it on the 6th as I've now got a friend to travel with who will do her own thing when we meet for the tea. I'm very much looking forward to meeting you all. Are the meeting arrangements still to meet at 3pm by the Gift shop on the blue side of Festival hall centre? I definitely will be there barring any medical mishaps beforehand!

Looking forward to it.

Anne x

dm1968

Hi all

Can't make 6th, as leaving my Herceptin date as it is, as just got back from hols and had my herceptin after 4 weeks, as had to delay for a week due to hols, and don't really wanna mess the dates again so soon. Hope you all understand. But count me in next time hopefully.

Take care and wanna hear all about it.

Thanks
Dawn
xx

Jennywren

It is sod's law isn't it?

My partner has started a course on Tuesday evenings and my son has begun Cubs on Tuesday evenings so it looks unlikely I will be able to go as I will have my daughter to deal with too. I am so cross as it is not as though I go out and do very much these days...

Jenny.

Kay123

Hi all

Not sure I can make this date now as I am back at work and have something on that day that I can't really rearrange. Hope it is a huge success though and you all enjoy getting together - and I'll try to be at the next one!

Thanks also from me, Blondie, for taking on the organisation, particularly as you won't be there either!!

Kay xx

Jacksy

Yippee. Not sure I can wait another whole month! I'm so looking forward to seeing/meeting you all.
Thanks so much blondie for all your hard work - such a sodding shame you can't be there.
love Jacquie

EamesK

Hi All,

Me and my sis can still make it as we have our train tickets for London booked and will be ariving the previous day. Looking forward to seeing all of you.

Blondie thank you for the organisation especially as you can no longer make it.

Kate

Jennywren

I'm still hoping to make it.

Jenny.

mrsblue

Hi Blondie, venue is good, I'm set to come but may need to leave after an hour or so, (will check train times nearer the date) - to get back for steel band practice that evening !
Lindsey.

annamarie

good luck with this it sounds fantastic, maybe you should all have a secret password as well!!!!! if you are looking for a truely stunning venue for your big cinderella setting how about the orangery at blenhiem palace! i used to work there and it really does have a wow factor
Anna

HUMPHR10

Ladies... can I join you? Very handy location for me too. Blondie, well done for persevering with the organisation. Hopefully we can make this a regular feature so everyone will have a chance to meet up.

AnneS

I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to be there either as I now have a PET scan in London on 9th May and not sure if I'll be up to 2 day-trips to London from South Wales in one week with Avastin to fit in in between! Please can I play it by ear and let people know for definite a couple of days before? It's so difficult to know I'm going to be as I'm on weekly Taxol - been doing well up to now but another 4 weeks is bound to take it's toll!

If not this one I'd certainly like to come on a future one.

Anne x

manon

Royal Festival Hall, Riverside Terrace Cafe, 3.00pm Tuesday 6 May ?
Just checking the date and time.

See yoi all there

x Barbara

dippykate

Oh what a shame you can't be there. Hope to meet you at some future time and tthanks for being the co-ordinator.
i am in email or Pm contact with quite a few of the above so if it be would make it easierand the others are in agreement, instead of sending an individual one email, I could send those your messager. Just whisper back and I'll tell you the ones I have contact with, if they are in agreement.
Kate

blondie

Hi All
It looks as if I can't make the Cinderella Day - it was always contingent on being able to move both my Herceptin and my Consultant's appointment (both scheduled for the 6th) but it isn't going to be as straightforward as I thought and I have to bow out, this time. The Cinders Day can still go on as the venue will still be there and the following have shown an interest:

Angee (if her back is OK)
dippykate
wendycrackers
Kay123
allei4
dm1968 (if her Herceptin date can be moved)
AnneS
Jennywren
ChemicalKate + big sister
manon
JulsRis
Mrsblue
Jacksy

That is a possible 20 people and well worth going ahead with a meet. I am prepared to be the link and contact people by email nearer the time if you all wish, I just won't be able to be there on the day.

Any ideas on the next Cinderella Day date?

Blondie

blondie

Hi Chemical Kate

Royal Festival Hall, Belvedere Road SE1 8XX, it is on the South Bank next to Waterloo Station, between Waterloo Bridge and the Rail Bridge into Charing Cross. If you have a look at Google Maps you can flick between the map version and the satellite view and see the London Eye etc. The South Bank Centre web page has a 'Visiting Us' section giving transport details and has a section on 'Eating and Drinking' with the Riverside Terrace Cafe shown.

We can give specific details nearer the time but perhaps that will whet you appetite until we all meet - I still have to get my oncologist appointment and treatment day moved!!

Blondie

EamesK

Where roughly is festival hall as i will be in London on 6th May and can make it at 3pm. I'll be the one with the dodgy haircut. Be good to see everyon and i will have my big sister in tow.

Cheers
Kate xx

dippykate

hope tto make it. 3pm sounds a good time and venue easy for me. i'll wait to hear final instructions then!!!!
thanks for organising it
kate

ForumMember

Unfortunately I can't make it ...... have a great time, it all sounds like a good plan. Well done for being determined for getting it up and running. Good luck!
Lou x

Jacksy

If it's not till 3pm I can probably get there - yippee! I'm working in the morning but will hop on a fast train.
Count me in.
Thanks so much for organising it,
jacquie x

blondie

Hi All
Sunday was dreadful weather (very wet and windy) and I just couldn't ask Mum to run up and down the river bank checking out venues so (unless anyone else can suggest something from local knowledge) I suggest the Royal Festival Hall, Riverside Terrace Cafe, 3.00pm Tuesday 6 May for our first meet. We could meet by the Shop on the 'Blue side' of the venue (there is only one Gift Shop) and then find enough seats to get together as we can take our drinks/food anywhere on the ground level (level 2) or even outside by the river it the weather is kind.

I think that there could be about 20 of us and, not knowing how many are going to turn up or who anyone is (or how busy the venues are going to be) - I think that picking somewhere with movable seating and a big meeting area would be best. I am sure I could be more specific re meeting place etc nearer the time and we could all wear a red carnation and carry a rolled newspaper, spy-style, or something equally corny as an identifier. If we can agree on a date, place and time then I am sure that we can finalise the meeting details nearer the time.

What do you all think?

Blondie

fayjay69

Hi everyone,

6th may sounds good but will have to email you nearer the time to reconfirm.

Fay 🐵

mrsblue

Hi Blondie & folks

Seems that the London meet is still on?? If thinking about the Royal Festival Hall complex, there are several smaller venues within the Southbank Centre.

wendycrackers

I've been getting confused with all the seperate meeting arrangements so I'm not sure where my name has been put down! Please count me in on this one, i think the other South East meet in Guildford is a bit too far for me to travel