cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clips in my scar after WLE

5 REPLIES 5
libby_2010

Re: Clips in my scar after WLE

Hi Karen I Posted a similar query about 18mnths ago. Rev Cat replied in a similar vein as above.Baically I had a chest x-ray ( not BC related) for an injury( a year after treatment) which was found to be a fractured sternum which was how I found that there were clips 'proximal to the Rt axilla'. My GP managed to 'fudge' the answer to my query about why there were clips shown on the x-ray. I couldn't feel them.I have been told that they were put in during my 1st WLE for guidance in rads planning.My BCN, BS and PS have all confirmed this. They are titanium so don't set off alarms at the airport. They are not removed as they become embedded within the healing tissue. They are there forever.
Perhaps you could ask your BCN for clarification on this. You seem to have been left a bit in limbo about this and need some porper explanation from your team
Hugs J xx

KB0

Hi, thanks for your replys ladies. Well i can feel them a little which is why the oncologust checked my records. He was one i havent seen before. He said that my scar was a bit lumpy. But once he'd seen my most recent mammo he said that the lumps are clips? does this mean i'll have them in for life? I have had radiotherapy so why would they need them jow? i was told that its also a baseline for mammograms..what ever that means..

Karen xx

Maryland

Hi Karen....as RevCat rightly says they are titanium clips put in during WLE to guide radiotherapy. I have several, which are quite deep as tumour was close to chest wall....they showed up on mammo on Jan. Radiographer explained they were harmless......if you can feel yours or they are bothering you, probably safest to contact your team to check out....take care

RevCat

Hi KB they put clips where they took away the tumour so that there are markers that will help when they are doing the rads planning - they show up on X-ray or CT. I think they are a bit like staples. Other than that I can't answer your questions as my surgery was different. Try not to worry too much, I'm sur esomeone will be along soon with more relevant klnowledge/experience.
Lucy_BCC

Bumping into latest posts for Karen

KB0

Clips in my scar after WLE

Hi all, i had WLE surgery May 2012, my scar is still a little tender and a bit lumpy.I have had a clear mammogram since but i have only just recently discovered that i have clips in my breast. Please could any one tell me what these are and is there anyone who are in the same boat? i can feel them in my scar. The oncologist wasnt concerned when i was examined by him last week, but i am paramoid it's recurrance....are the clips hard and do they cause lumpyness?
Many thanks
Karen xx