Cold Cap - lost 50% with 1st chemo treatment. Has this happened to anyone else?

Hi Everyone,

I started by first treatment of Taxotere Cytoxan about 3 weeks ago.  I used Dignicap and I lost more than 50% of my hair on Saturday.  I do have a TON of hair so now I feel that I still have more hair than the average woman.  I am just wondering if anyone has advice about if it is working or not.  I do not have any bald spots and most of the hair loss was from the underneath of my hair.  I wonder if the hair loss will slow down a lot with other treatments.  Dignicap says that usually the first is the most but I wondered if any of you have any idea about this.

Thank you!

Amy

Hello Amy. I used a Paxman plug in cold caps for 12 weekly sessions of Taxol and have luckily still got a full head of hair. Am not sure about the system you are using but mine had to stay on for 45 mins prior, an hour during treatment and an hour after, my hair loss was minimal and from all over ( I also have thick hair like you) so no bald patches just a bit if thinning all over which is not noticeable to anyone else. I would persevere and see how it progresses as some weeks you may lose a bit more than others.  Good luck and best wishes to you. Jo. X

Thank you for he encouragement Jo!

Hello. I’m due for 2nd chemo later today, I cold capped & will do again. My hair was very thick & wavy & if it was straight would be well past my waist, I’ve not dyed for over 6 yrs & tend to use organic shampoo & wash about every 5 days & use no chemicals as I suffer with allergies. All seemed to be going well after chemo then a week ago it started shredding then coming out in clumps although no bald patches just huge thinning. My hair was everywhere on the floor, all over my clothes, in food, down my back, in my knickers, in the crease of my breast…  I had it cut yesterday above shoulders, its now so thin & fine, although very soft -)) & parting is obviously very much wider.

When I saw Onc 2 days ago, I asked how long cold cap should be left on after, for my type of chemo, he said 2 hours. It was left on for half an hour, my seat was needed for another chemo patient.  I’m so upset by this. Loosing my hair like this, has affected me far more than loosing my breast.   I went straight to Chemo dept to make sure sure this time cold cap will be left on for 2 hours & I will be timing it too…

Ali pink and Amy I completely understand where you are coming from - this was me 2 years ago, I used paxman, it was on for about half an hour before and a couple of hours after treatment, 3xFEC plus 12xTaxol. It’s important to use the correct timings for each drug. Also very important to ensure the cap is tightly fitted all over your scalp with no air pockets.

I lost about 50% of my hair after the first fec then nothing noticeable for the rest of my treatment. In fact by the time I finished in April 15 I had approx 2 inches of new growth all over. I kept my hair in a shortish bob tidied back in a ponytail which successfully hid the thinness.

Keep persevering and be insistent about fit and timing x