cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cold cap - I didn't lose my hair

Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Cold cap - I didn't lose my hair

Hi Sandytoes & Gill13m thank you very much for the helpful replies.

i've got my wig, head scarves, hats etc all ready and waiting but i really don't want to have to use them. i hate my curly hair (more the way i look with it, much prefer the me with straight hair) but would obviously much rather have that than none. i don't mind my wig for a change but gosh i don't want to have to rely on it.

i've got simple shampoo, gonna wash my hair for the first time since last Friday (13th) today so we will see how that goes.

i'm wondering if i should have a hair cut to keep it light and try keep it as healthy as possible. what do you guys think? did any one else have cuts during treatment?

thank you so much for all the help ladies, you are all invaluable angels xxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi laydeez

Just wanted to say that i did loose my hair , the cold cap didnt work for me and had so much hair loss at chemo 1 plus 14 days that my chemo nurse refused to let me use it for my second chemo hit. I was distraught...my hair had been long, curly and dark and i was convinced that it would only thin, not loose it.

BUT i have to say that if you DO loose it, its not the end of the world that i thought at first. I have a wig that hasnt even been on my head ( i am a big girl so made me feel like a drag act ) and i have been wearing bright, animal print headscarves. It was actually really a relief not to be on constant hair-loss-watch : i had been obsessed my how much was on my collar/ pillowcase/ plug hole etc and now that its comoing back ( like Sinead O Connot at mo ) its really exciting to check the return each night when the headscarf comes off !!

Dont get me wrong, i would have LOVED to have kept my hair but just wanted to re-assure any ladies out there constantly watching the plughole that there IS life after hair loss and it was actually rather liberating to just get the clippers on the wispy bits .

Was never brave enough to "commando" without the headscarf and totally admire the ladies who do.....also cant wait to be able to dye my grey fuzz !!

M X

gill13

Hi Lynzi

i've now had 4 chemos TCH, and to be honest i don't think using products on your hair really makes much difference.

At my unit, nobody said anything about putting on condition and leaving it on before using CC, i just turned up, they sprayed my hair and cap went on. To beginning with i was totally obsessed with whether or not it was working and also started shedding at around 10 days, and had a sore head, this is the same after each chemo.

i use simple shampoo, and to begin with just once a week, i bought the dry shampoo for inbetween washes (not really used it) and i have used a wash in wash out hair colour.

I did cut my shoulder (ish) length hair into a short easier to manage style, so that i could put the straighteners away, but i do use hair dryer, on a cold setting.

Personally i think if its going to work, it will. i'm glad i used it but i did have a wig ready just incase

Good luck with it, and your Chemo

Gill x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Lynzi,

I also have curly wurls and did use a bit of serum at the start and used my GHDs every now and then...! I had the first big sheddage about 3 weeks (maybe 25 days...) after my first chemo. My scalp was really sore and LOADS came out (it was quite freaky actually!) but when I looked in the mirror I still had lots left. I came straight on here to ask if I should just give up. Lots of ladies told me to persevere which I did. After that big moulting session I lost a small amount of hair everyday and ended up clipping my hair up or wearing mini headscarves and headbands so that I wasn't losing hair all over the house and in the cooking etc. I don't know if everyone experiences that - but my chemo was really harsh, had 8 cycles and my onc said there was no way the cold cap would work. So by that point I used the Simple conditioner as a serum to control my curls and clipped it up.

I left the conditioner for 48 hours after each cold cap and washed 1-2 times a week.

My hair did thin ALOT but grew back over the course of my treatment and by the end of it I had a full head of hair and cut it into a short bob and retrieved my GHDs from the drawer! So, basically, I can't say I had good hair days all the way through chemo - but I am glad I used it as if I hadn't I'd have had 4 months of wearing wigs/scarves anyway, but wouldn't have been able to have a hairstyle immediately after. And curly hair has the benefit of not looking greasy and you can just clip it up in a messy, curly manor!

I was on 4xAC and 4xTAX by the way - so the same drugs - just at different times.

That was my experience, but I know other ladies who didn't have to clip their hair down and sported a hairstyle all the way through.

I don't see why mousse would "react" as there's no chemical reactions or anything going on - just the follicles being chilled. But you can always call Paxman and ask them. They're really helpful.

If you have any questions at any point PM me.

Wishing you luck with the cold cap and hope the chemo goes OK with minimal side effects.

x

Guest user
Not applicable

hi everyone,

i'm currently on day 8 after my first TAC (minus the C) chemo cycle on Tuesday, 10th Jan.

i used the cold cap, didn't find it to be a problem apart from slight irritation on the top of my forehead so the nurse just packed it out and it was fine just a bit red. think i had it on for about 5 hours in the end but still it didn't really bother me.

hair seems ok at the moment but i've only washed it once since on Friday in Simple shampoo. luckily for me my hair is naturally curly so i just put a bit of mousse on it (naughty but it'll be a wild frizzy mess without) and it's been fine since.

i'm quite not sure when to expect the start of loss. i'm thinking i should probably wash it again soon but am scared eeek!!! last time i washed it was Friday (13th). reading through this topic though i'm wondering if it's gonna have much effect as i didn't feel it to be tight enough to the back of my head. i kept pushing it closer and i think that's when the irritation started as i must have been pushing it forward onto my skin without realising. it was certainly stuck to the crown as she sprayed it with water before putting it on and they pulled a strap down over my chin to secure it but i wasn't confident it was tightly sealed on the whole of my head?? it was the smallest one there too so i'm guessing i'll just have to hope for the best.

am i right in thinking we should leave conditioner in for a while? i didn't think and just washed it out ??

just to get it straight in my head, all you ladies that have had success do you wash & condition/rinse 24 hours before then leave to dry using no products atall?? (i would like to use mousse but not if it'll react badly, i can just wear a hat)

then wash your hair 48 hours after in a gentle shampoo such as simple and leave conditioner in? then once or twice a week until the next cycle?

i have a terrible habit of rubbing the baby hair around my hair line, i'm not sure why i do it but i wear the hair away and snap it off. i know i really need to stop but i find myself doing it all the time without realising eeek!!!

i'm starting to miss my GHD's now but just think myself lucky i have the option of curly hair so it's not a complete mess throughout treatment.

Lynzi xxx

Giddy

Mary - thank you and good luck to you too 🙂

It's so good reading all your tips- like the satin pillow, conditioners etc 🙂

gill13

my hair is still doing ok, and i used the wash in wash out dye on it again this morning, its the 3rd time i've done it and hasn't affected the amount of hair i've shedded. (not yet anyway)

I've had 4 tax now, hair had been looking a bit drab, and dry, but i have run out of the leave in conditioner and keep forgetting to buy some more!!

Gill x

Guest user
Not applicable

Good luck ladies!

Forgot to say that I had my hair cut into a bob so that the hair did not drag and pull.

I used a satin type of pillow, so no pulling of hair in bed.

My hair did look rubbish all the time on chemo but now I have finished the shine has come back.

I did lose hair each FEC but a lot stayed and nobody is any wiser about just how much I lost!! So, stick with it even if you lose hair!!

Coll xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ali,

It's obviously up to you as you might prefer your hair longer. I cut mine shorter (chin length bob) while using the cold cap as it made it more manageable and it looked thicker. I think I'll keep it shorter while I'm waiting for the shorter bits to catch up.

My hair was also quite frizzy. It's naturally curly and frizzy, but I think the chemo made it even more so, but I used serum on it and now that I've finished chemo and am back to using normal products again, the texture has improved alot.

X

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ali good to hear some positivity about cold cap. As long as you stil have your hair even if it is messy to you! Starting my 1st fec tomorrow just need to get it over with. Sorry not sure about answer to your q tho.
Giddy good luck with your appt you'll feel better once your treatment plan is in place.
Caroline it is gr8 to hear you're happy with your hair. X

Giddy

Thanks so much for all the advice 🙂 I'm probably going to try the cold cap. I've already had my long hair cut, as the MacMillan nurse advised me to. I've got my onc appointment next week so I'll find out more then 🙂

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi, I am 3 FEC down, with 3 to go. I am using the cold cap and have lost hair around day 20 of each cycle. Although I feel I have lost loads, I still have a good head of hair left, and I am incredibly grateful that I did it.

I need to have what I do have left cutting. It looks straggly, frizzy and basically even on the day I wash it, a mess. When would be best or should I just wait?

Thanks
Ali

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Caroline!

Was wondering how you were doing. Congrats for finishing chemo - and so glad you are happy with your hair. When's your op...? Must be soon...?

X

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ladies,

A agree 100% with sandytoes - I was terribly sick after my 1st chemo and not being a sick person was in a bit of a panic but I made the nurses aware and they upped my anti-sickness drugs and I was fine after that. They don't know something's wrong unless you tell them so don't be shy!

I'm now a month after my last chemo and my hair's doing amazing, the bits that had gone bald are now really thick and even my hairdresser's amazed. I'm so grateful for the cold cap, if it hadn't been for that I would be months behind on my re-growth. It was so worth the extra time and 10 minutes of a sore head...

Hope you're all doing ok xx

gill13

i was warned that the cold cap possibly wouldn't work, so was prepared with a wig, some hats and scarves, and I certainly don't think its being vain not wanting to loose your hair.
I also cut mine quite short after my 1st Chemo, purely because it would be easier to manage with not washing very often and no starighteners
i have saved a fortune on shampoo, the bottle of simple shampoo i bought at start of chemo is still going

Good luck everyone xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Gals,

Just wanted to say that I am 2 weeks post last FEC and still have my hair after using the cold cap.

Washed hair day before chemo date.
Sprayed hair with water and Simple conditioner before cap on.
Had it on for 1/2 hr before chemo and 2hrs afterwards.
Washed hair once a week using Simple shampoo and COOL WATER, no massaging of head etc.
Cool setting to cold if using a hairdryer. Keep those follicles closed!!
Use wide toothed comb, try not to comb hair.
Use clips to keep hair to your head, stops hair popping out when you lean forward.

Think that's about it, worked for me but might not for everyone. BC nurses were not convinced it would work but I was stubborn!!!

Good Luck, go for it!!

Collette x

filosofie

Hi all and thanks to Sandytoes for the encouragement to carry on. I had my 3rd epirubicin on 30th and seem to be losing more hair than I did with the 2nd. I think it might be to do with the amount of conditioner - I really piled it on for the 2nd. Hair still looks very good. I had intended to give up the cold cap after the 1st couple but I think I might try to carry on for the other 6 sessions. Three reasons. I spoke to my Onc and she reassured me that the cc doesn't stop the chemo getting to the scalp completely but slows it down. I've been reading the research literature and it seems that chemo isn't that effective for lobular BC anyway. Putting some gauze under the cap on my forehead has really made a difference to how comfortable it is and even though it is a bit miserable sitting there for hours in the great scheme of things it's not much of a sacrifice in the company of my Kindle.

Good luck everyone and here's to a better new year.

Guest user
Not applicable

Snap! I've thrown up twice in my life and get really scared when I feel sick and have panic attacks. I thought chemo would be months of being sick. My BCN told me that nowadays nobody should be sick, but if you were sick after the first chemo they'd up your antisickness. At this I begged for the good stuff from the start and explained that I was worried that if I was really sick the first time that I wouldn't be able to have the remaining 7 treatments. So I got the good stuff and never felt more than slightly queasy.

I know you feel a bit funny worrying about hair and a little bit of sick when faced with a life threatening disease BUT if there are solutions out there to make it easier we might as well take them!!

Hope it goes well.

X

Guest user
Not applicable

sandytoes

thankyou - I'll be asking them for the strongest of everything!
sadly for me my phobia is sickness - im crapping myself
I cant even watch it on tv without having a hissy fit so god knows what im going to do if it gets me!

I just want to say that I think you ladies are wicked! xx and thankyou for sharing your experiences. xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ladies I am so grateful for each and everyone of u who has posted on here, your posts have given me hope!! i'm due to start my FEC regime on 10 Jan a week today I am so scared, I am 30 married with 2 kids aged 4 and 1. worst part for me is thought of losing my hair, and their reaction. I am definitely giving the cold cap a go will post again soon. Don't get a chance to come on here as often as i'd like but thanks again for making me feel I'm not just vain because of the way I feel. x x x

Guest user
Not applicable

Wineoclock (love the name), if you're not that bothered about the hair you might think it's a bit of a fuss as you have to spend longer on the ward, but I was terrified of losing my hair and having everyone know I was ill. That, combined with the length of time it takes to grow back afterwards, made me stick with it. Good luck with the chemo. Just remember that there's loads they can do if you do feel poorly. I demanded the best antisickness from the start and never felt more than a little queasy (never enough to stop me eating, mind!). It is no way near as bad as you are probably imagining it is.

Teecass - so glad it's working so well for you as you sounded like me at the start - wanting to keep some privacy and not having the telltale baldness. You're on FEC75 aren't you? A lady got in touch with me on that regimine to ask about the cold cap. Can I put her in touch with you? Also, I saw your news!! Many, many congratulations!!!

TeeCass

I have my hair too and returned to work today and colleagues none the wiser!
I would not have had the confidence to do that if i had not kept my hair.
Bit bald behind the ears but SOOOOO glad i persevered.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi

Ive just got to post, and all I can say is wow!!

Ive had all my hair chopped off in prep for starting chemo on 10th jan.
Have had it in my head not to bother with the cold cap but reading your posts now im wondering( that is if its available to me)
Ive bought two wigs already and i kind of love them :))

Im more concerned about feeling poorly than loosing my hair at the moment but maybe that will change?
Today ive had hair cut no 2 into a v short crop lol, like halle berrys( pretty short)
You guys have definately made me think

xx

gill13

And its still working for me too, i have No 4 comiing up on thursday, and like Sandytoes i've had a few PM's from people who had been watching my posts about how well my hair was hanging in.

I seem to shed after each session and after no 3, i was convinced that it was all coming out, but again like Sandytoes by now it seems to be growing back in the thin patches

Good old cold cap 🙂

Gill x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello,

This photo is 3 months past my final chemo. It makes me cringe as I have put on so much weight that I look really wobbly round the old chops! But I will be getting rid of that in 2012! It's also a bit fluffy as I've been out in the rain.

Anyway - I just wanted to remotivate coldcappers out there as a few have PMed me as I obviously keep raving about the cold cap! I had 4xAC and 4XTAX. About 25 days after my first AC my scalp was REALLY sore and lots and lots of hair fell out in handfuls. I was convinced I was going to be bald by the time I looked in the mirror - but had just thinned. Another girl I met on was having the exact same regimin as me - but 2 days earlier than me - and all of her fell out at the same time. She wasn't using the cold cap, so I used her as a good gauge that the cold cap was working for me. However, I came on here in a panic to ask if I should give it up and just cut it all off and some past coldcappers came along and told me to persevere. I had to wear mini headscarves or clip my hair up as bits of hair would just fall out, and I had mini-sheds each time I washed it after each chemo infusion but the hair that I lost at the beginning grew back during the rest of my chemo meaning I am now 3 months past chemo - but have the equivalent of 6 months growth and some of my original hair and have a proper hairstyle. I have also been naughty and have had it dyed 3 times! But nothing happened - it just looked healthier and shinier (and less grey!).

x

gill13

just thought i'd share, about 10 days following chemo no3 head was sore and tender. it lasted for a couple of days but doesn't really seem to have made me loose anymore hair.

i was just wondering if this will happen after each session? xx

impatiens

HI everyone,

Thanks for the tip Gill - I think I may give it a go. My roots are now really staring to show although my hair growth has slowed down. Usually after almost three months the line between my grey and my dyed colour would have been much lower down my head. But I'm now really conscious of my grey roots so I must do something.

I ordered some spray on hair colour which has none of the chemicals that are supposed to damage your hair but it hasn't arrived yet. But I may go to Superdrug and find that hair dye!

Have third session on Friday and dreading it. Although now seem to have developed peripheral neuropathy - pins and needles - in my hand so I have something else to think about now!

Alison x

gill13

i've looked now, and there no obvious name on it?? so i'm guessing its Superdrug own brand, and it's in a shampoo style bottle, let us know how you get on

Gill x

TeeCass

LOL, no worries, i know exxactly how you feel!
Will check out superdrug.x

gill13

well the hair dye i used, has had no adverse effect to my hair. it's the same as it was before, quite a bit of hair did come out when i was washing the dye out but has not made a noticable difference, my scalp is a bit of a mahogany colour though as didn't want to rub it too much
i'm glad i did it, its made me feel better.
the dye i bought was from Superdrug and it was a little bottle enough for 3 applications, can't remember what make it was, and i'm too lazy at the moment to go upstairs to check, sorry 🙂

Gillx

TeeCass

Thanx Gill, yeh please let us know how you get on and what you used as my roots are looking bad now. I am same as you and no hair underneath but not noticeable, just wont be wearing ponytails for a few years !!! Still, so very lucky and thank ful.xx

gill13

just thought i'd share what i'd done today...i used a wash in wash out hair dye, i was feeling a wreck and i also looked a wreck, with terrible re-growth. i left it on for probably not even 5 mins, but it sorted out the roots and has made me feel better in myself

My hair has been thinning, and it seems to be in 1 particular area, to the side on one side only, and its the side i lie on to sleep (used to be other side until mx) At the moment it's underneath so not obvious at all

i shall let you know if the hairdye has any effect to the rest of my head

Gill x

impatiens

Hi everyone,

Well I persevered through cold cap through 3 sessions now, and although it's the most unpleasant thing I think I've ever had dne to me, including ops, i do still have most of my hair. A couple of you were horrified that I washed the conditioner out immediately after chemo, I know you're not supposed to butthe nurse told me I could and actually I don't thinkn I'd have been able to stand having it in for a couple of days, and I'm so COLD afterwards I have to dive into the shower as soon as I'm home. Luckily i live moments from the unit...so I'm in the shower bout ten minutes after the treatment! I'm losing more hair than usual I think but I hardly brush it and wash my har about twice a week. Well I say wash, I actualy I squeeze shampoo onto my head and press it in a bit, then shove conditioner on and thats it...I can't wait to really scrub my scalp...

Thanks for the tip abou the coloured conditioner....I'm going to try and get it online....too tired after last chemo to go out yet, but should be better in a couple of days...

Love to you all

Xxx

filosofie

Thanks Caroline, very useful.

CMF is simply the C and F from FEC with extra added methotrexate (whatever that is). I'm just have the E (epirubicin) on its own first, but I think this may be the active hair loss ingredient for FEC as some informations sheets about it state baldly (!) you will lose your hair. So I could just use the cold cap for the first doses then give it up when I go onto Tax. However then I might acquire a rather odd look if my own undyed and rather nice hair thins and new hair comes through looking like a brillo pad and/or sheepskin.

I've been lucky to keep my hair colour into my mid 50s but fear it will come back grey. If it the cc will only stop some hair loss, then I'm still in a quandary. Aargh horrible disease, horrible treatment.

Guest user
Not applicable

Mujum - I had 2 x FEC and 4 x Docetaxel. Most of my hair loss was with the FEC and re-growth started whilst on Tax.

filosofie - I've never heard of CMF so I'm not really sure but your BCN should have an idea of how it would be with the CC. As far as I know FEC is the worst for hairloss. A lady I started chemo with has managed to use no cover up for her hair althoUgh it's a lot thinner than it was - I think because she's blonde it's not so noticable with her.

filosofie

I'd be interested in the answer to Mujum's question too. I'm on a similar regimen but starting with E and then having CMF after the Tax, I started 2 weeks ago and used a cold cap because I wanted to keep my hair till mid December and then deal with it over Christmas. It seems to have worked pretty well; I'm losing slightly more hair than usual but then I'm not brushing it as much as usual. If I really thought it would leave me with a decent head of hair in 6 months time I would be tempted to keep up this horrible experience. However if I'm going to be left with 50% of my hair in patches and just delaying using my (very expensive European hair) wig then I think I should ditch the cold cap for the next session. Has anybody had such a good experience with the cc that they were happy to go out with no sort of cover up?

Guest user
Not applicable

I will be starting chemo to try to shrink the tumour on 23 December. It will be EC to begin with (6x) then 2x Docetaxel. Has anyone used the cold cap successfully with this regime?

Guest user
Not applicable

Oh Nicola dont lol I seem to have quite a few grey roots just now! One of my friends was laughing at my surprise to have them and she kindly pointed out that I'd had grey hairs for a while and that was the reason for me dying my hair so what colour was I expecting to come in? Good point! Not to worry, better having grey roots than no roots 🙂

That's a shame your blood wasn't strong enough, have you not been feeling good?

We had sleet up here today! This week's been a bit wild with flooding and high winds, the joys of Scotland lol!

Caroline x

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning All

Sandytoes, yes I'm being treated in Brighton. Feels almost like a second home, I seem to be there so often.

I was due for FEC X 4 on Wednesday, took my paracetamol, but it turned out that my blood was no good, so going back on Tuesday to try again.

Lovely day here but the bright sun really shows up those grey roots!

Nicola X

Guest user
Not applicable

I used Herbatint. But have roots again now and have booked in on Monday to have a proper dye put in - this is 3 months post chemo.

Guest user
Not applicable

Oh gill that's lovely, it's nice being able to pass on good experiences wit people and give them a bit of confidence. And well done on #2 🙂 yey!

Nicola yes it does feel good, I've still surgery and rads to get but once chemo's done I know all hair should be coming back and I can get back to how I used to look.

Nicola that's real bad luck, the one place you want it to go, it stays!

Sandytoes I'll be following your footsteps I think hehe. Although I thought it was only on to use a vegetable dye? Or was that just when you were getting chemo?

Xx

gill13

i've just had a look at directions for this conditioner, sorry but its not actually a leave in, you do have to wash it out, after 10mins, the name of it is "Fudge" and its a colour conditioning treatment
chemo 2 down, hair still there 🙂 and there was a lady on ward yesterday for her 1st chemo, she was going to try the cold cap, but she was very apprehensive and after putting her hand in it, decided not to use it as she didn't think she'd be able to stand the cold. After me saying it wasn't too bad she changed her mind and at the end of session she agreed to had been do-able, i was quite pleased that hearing it from me and not just the nurses that she felt confident to try it.
i have bought a nice new hat from Debenhans today, just in case, 30% off all hats at the mo. Bargain 🙂

Gill x

Guest user
Not applicable

Why, thank you Nicola! 😉 No, it's important to hear good stories - otherwise all you hear is doom and gloom. I had ladies motivating me along and answering my cold cap questions and I stuck it out - and I'm sure you'll be doing the same soon.

The official line is no dying for something like 6 months! I was a bit naughty after I finished chemo. A combination of impatience and having stuck the cold cap out but still wearing mini headscarves to cover the 3 inches of grey made me reach for the dye after 5/6 weeks.... Since then I've been straightening and using normal shampoo. The hair I had left after chemo was drier than normal - but I haven't had any repercussions of dying it yet - and the hair that I lost is coming back and padding out the thin bits - that happens quite quickly. Both Paxman and my BCN said that new hair that you lose will also grow back quickly if you persevere with the cold cap as you've protected the follicles more than if you didn't use it...

Obviously this is my experience - would feel awful if you did the same and your hair promptly fell out!! 😮

Are you being treated down in Brighton? I am.

x

TeeCass

Is it really for 2 months after??
ARRGGGHHHHHHHH

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies

Thanks Caroline, it's very reassuring to know that it does work! Only one to go! That must feel good.

Gill, I've found that it gets rid of all the hair in some areas (LG) but none at all in others. My arms are still covered in dark hair. It was the only place I was looking forward to losing the hair! I'm going to ask my hairdresser about the coloured conditioner, great idea, thanks.

TeeCass, I'm a minger too. Can't wait to jump in a hot shower and wash my hair normally again. I think we have to carry on being careful for quite a while after chemo finishes. Is it 2 months? Does anyone know?

Sanytoes, thank you. Huge admiration to you for getting through 8 sessions and still being able to motivate!

Nicola X

Guest user
Not applicable

Gill that's a great tip - thanks! I seem to have a lot of grey bits coming through where my hair's growing back so it would be good to disguise it until I can do a proper dye. Good luck for tomorrow, another one closer to the end of it 🙂

Teecass there's nothing wrong with being a minger I was exactly the same. I used to tell myself that if it's normal to lose 50-100 hairs a day but I'm not brushing/washing hair as normal then what's coming out in the shower probably isn't too bad.

Nijawhi it's worth persevering with the cold cap, at the end of the day we have nothing to lose do we - well apart from our hair 😉 I nearly stopped and am so glad now with only one to go that I kept it going.

Caroline x

Guest user
Not applicable

Gill that's a great tip - thanks! I seem to have a lot of grey bits coming through where my hair's growing back so it would be good to disguise it until I can do a proper dye. Good luck for tomorrow, another one closer to the end of it 🙂

Teecass there's nothing wrong with being a minger I was exactly the same. I used to tell myself that if it's normal to lose 50-100 hairs a day but I'm not brushing/washing hair as normal then what's coming out in the shower probably isn't too bad.

Nijawhi it's worth persevering with the cold cap, at the end of the day we have nothing to lose do we - well apart from our hair 😉 I nearly stopped and am so glad now with only one to go that I kept it going.

Caroline x

gill13

i'm having my 2nd chemo tomorrow, and so far the head hair is hanging in there, teecass and nicola, i've always lost hair as i washed it, and don't seem to be loosing anymore than before. LG seems to be a bit slow going, i really thought it would have all gone by now, so maybe i'm just kidding myself about head hair.

a tip for the grey roots, i had my hair cut day after 1st chemo and told hair dresser about the cold cap and grey roots concerns. She stocks a coloured leave in conditioner, it comes in a sachet, but has a little screw lid, and she reckons it could be about 3 applications. i've not tried it yet, but i think it may be needed soon! 🙂

Gill x

TeeCass

Nicola, Sandytoes,
Thanks so much you have made my day.
Nicola, please will you keep me up to date as to how to how you are going as i am day 9 after FEC 3 and still so apprehensive, just want someone to say yes you ll be ok right though to no 6!!
( I know that aint gonna happen as everyone is different!!)
But you have both given me so much hope.
Like you Nicola i lose loads after each wash which is why after being a manic every day washer, i now manage a wash once every 10 days! Never thought i would be such a minger!
I am very bald behind ears and nape of neck where the cap didnt reach and boy does that get cold!
Sandytoes, how do i find the pic of the lady on the June one?
Thanks again.xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Motivational boost from me again!! There were a couple of times I almost gave up as I felt it had thinned too much by chemo numbers 7 and 8 - but I persevered and am so happy with the results now. Another lady on the June chemo thread just posted a photo of her hair post cold cap - it looks great.