Cold cap - a couple of questions

I plan to use the cold cap, my chemo starts Monday and I understand that you use it before the drugs and after. But why not during and why not at any other times? I am having chemo at home so was wondering whether I could just use it every day or so if that gives me any better chance (please note I am yet to experience this and may well not last more than one session).
thanks
Ali

Hello Ali

You do use it during the treatment. I think what they mean is that they put it on before and leave it on for a time after you have finished.

Best wishes

Anthi x

H small,

I used the cold cap for my first treatment a week ago and I have to say it was really horrible! I was prepared because a woman in the unit had told me that it’s really horrible for the first ten to fifteen mintues and then it gets better. But its a real shock to the system. Also take a scarf you can put around you, some arm socks and take the warm blanket they bring one. But it would be good to have a hot water bottle as well- I’m taking one next time. I got realy cold and had a hot shower when I got back to warm me up. But I haven’t lost any hair yet - but it is only a week ago!

Good luck and best wishes

X

Hi small,

You wear the cap for a time before treatment to get the scalp cold before you start, during the treatment and for a time after the treatment has ended. Mine is 30 mins before and 1 1/2 to 2 hours after they have finished the erubicin injection. They do that one first so that some of my after time is taken up with putting the other drugs in. Make sure they wet and condition your hair and the cap is nice and snug, touching all parts of the scalp.

I don’t think it helpto use it in between treatments, it’s just while the drugs are being administered.

As impatiens said, the first 15 minutes are horrible but after that it is much more bearable.

I had second FEC a week ago and still have my hair so am hopeful.

Good luck

Jules
X

Had 2 sessions FEC chemo with cold cap. Was told that people tend to lose hair about 3 to 4 weeks after 1st treatment and the friday before my second treatment (just short of 3 weeks) started to lose some hair. Had my shoulder length hair cut short. Hair thinned week after 2nd treatment but then settled down. About to have 3rd treatment. I feel cold cap it is worth using as long as you don’t find too uncomfortable though you are a little longer in the hospitable on your chemo day. I know my hair thinned but don’t think anyone else particularly can tell.

Good Luck

I finished chemo last year but had the cold cap. It went on before the treatment and stayed on until about 15 mins after the infusion was finished. Its not exactly a fun experience but was certainly tolerable and I didn’t lose my hair. Sure it thinned and went very soft but no-one would have known I was on chemo so for me it was worth it. Good luck all with chemo - I know you will get through it but dont hesitate to ask your BCN for help and support coz it does get tedious.

Many thanks, I had been wondering why it was only used at the time of treatment.
I still think I will give it a go, I would still prefer to try.
Thanks agai
Ali

Hi, there is another thread called

Cold cap - i didn’t loose my hair (hope this link works)

share.breastcancercare.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=34161

i’ve got my 1st chemo on thursday and will be trying the cold cap, there are quite a few hints and comments on this thread

Gill x

Hello!

The first chemo nurse I had thought that you only wore it before and after and was going to turn it off for during. Thank goodness I had read lots about it and asked questions on here as I quickly corrected her and kept it on for the full duration.

Oh my word Sandytoes, sometimes they make u wonder don’t they. I’m sure my cap didn’t fit properly, the nurse just plonked one on my head & left me. I kick myself for not checking it as im sure it wasn’t tight enough hence my hair fell out after 2 weeks. She also forgot to put conditioner on the lady next to me so i should have guessed she wasn’t exactly with it that day. Thankfully u did question it, good for u.x

Hi Ali

The aim of the cold cap is to restrict the blood flow to the hair follicles while you have the highest concentrations of chemo circulating through your system. So you start about 30 min before chemo and keep going with it until at least 40 min after - longer if you can bear it.

I had chemo at home too and so had to use a different sort of cold cap than they use in hosp. In hosp, it’s a cap that has cold fluid pumping through it all the time. I had gell filled swimming hat type caps that I had to keep in my freezer. These had to be changed every 30 min or so. These aren’t as effective as the hosp ones, but still worth a go and, while I did end up losing quite a lot of hair, I think it gave me an extra six weeks of not having to wear a hat or wig.

Dx