Cold cap or not ????????????

Hi ladies I am having my first lot of “jungle juice” on Wed and am wondering is it worth trying the cold cap or not bothering and just accept the fact that my hair will come out anyway. I,m sure many of you have tried it and would love to hear your experiences good and bad.
Thanks xx

Hi megsmum,

Im having fect and just had my 5th chemo on monday (of 6, 2nd tax). I had my hair cut to a bob before starting and used the samllest cap each time and i still have most of my hair. I have a semi bald/super thin patch on top but i can wear a head band or cap and it’s fine. I have a wig just in case but have not needed it. I think it is definitely worth doing. I take a couple of panadol 30 mins before my appt and after the first few minutee it’s fine. I only wash on the day of my apt with cool water and then leave it between sessions, pretty gross i know but it’s worked. I get a shed each time which is distressing as it seems like a lot of hair (i did have lots of, hair to start with) but ive found it’s helped. I still have my brows and lashes (touch wood). No harm in trying i say! All the very best for your treatment
K

Hi Megsmum,
there is a long and helpful thread on cold caps here share.breastcancercare.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=34161&hilit=+cold+cap+ose+my+hair&p=646030#p646030 which is probably worth a read.

I think if you are minded to give it go, then do - you have to do it on day one dose one or it won’t work - because you may otherwise wonder ‘what if’. I didn’t use the cold cap (it was offered and even having said no, the lovely chemo nurse said ‘anytime up until I inject the first lot you can change your mind’) and I have no regrets. before all this I had waist length hair, having it cut to a chin length bob pre-chemo was for me the hard bit, losing it (in ten days in my case) was perversely less traumatic. Now, my hair had grown back, been through a crazy (but wonderful) curly phase and is in a ‘real’ is necessarily short, style. (My avatar pic is one year post chemo)

You will make the right choice, of that I’m sure. I hope all goes well for you… if you try it and it doesn’t work or you choose to give up after a coupkle of goes, at least you’ll know you tried.

Hi Megasmum

I used the cold cap for my first dose and no hair loss until day 19 but it did start a week or so ago. I used it again for 2nd last Thursday and although I have got thick hair I’ve now got a very thinning scalp so don’t think I’ll bother again (I’m having 4 cycles of AC chemo which is quite strong. I’ve got a nice wig for going out and a selection of Buff headwear for inside or commando the rest of the time! I was sitting with a girl though on Thursday and she hadn’t lost any hair so I just think its a case of hit or miss - good luck! The other thing is that it adds an extra couple of hours onto your appointment times but the time still went pretty quick and the cap itself didn’t cause me too many problems.

My eybrows and lashes are still intact although LG and other body hair going - skin feels lovely and smooth though!

Best of luck for whatever you decide!

Jan
x

Hi Megsmum
Thank you for posting this as I am due to start chemo end March ans was going to try the cold cap, now I have some information thanks to you x Good luck with your treatment hope you get very tiny SE, I am going to get a wig ready just incase at the advice of my hairdresser, If i need it its there and if I dont yahay,

Hugs & Good vibes to you all

Janice x

Hi
Definately try it. A lot of people can’t bear it, but I found it was really the 1st 15 mins that are the worse. Get over that and you’ll be fine. I too cut my hair to a bob style. I’d say i probably lost about a third of my hair, but people didn’t notice. I also lost the bottom 3 inches of my hair at the back above my neck, I think it was where the cap didnt fit properley. But again it was hidden.
I did use shampoo, just dove, or another one thats mild, but only did it once ebery 10 days or so (yes dirty hair but I figured better than no hair!) as hair does come out when you brush/wash. I would suggest wearing a hair net while in the house too…
Wishing you lots and lots of luck and sending lots of love xxxxx

Hi I’ve used it twice now.
I have lost a lot of hair but its very very thin! I think if I didn’t use it I would have no hair at all.
I can’t go out without my wig but still got 4 more to go so it still might come out yet!
But at least I can say I tried it and I’ve no regrets.
The first 10 mins are the worst.
Good luck with what you decide!
Love fran xx

Hi LilyFB
Im having my hair cut to a short bob on monday, my hairs thick so im cutting it down to bob length to try and help with cap, thanks for the info it really helps , my thinking is not gonna loose anything by trying cos if you dont you will always have what if …

Best wishes

Janice x

Hi Ladies

picture of me in my cold cap :slight_smile:

i have now finished chemo and i used the cold cap, you really do get used to the cold, and my unit would give a quilt or some blankets if you feel cold.
My hair hung in for me, i did have it cut short so it would be easier to manage, i did shed quite a lot of hair after 1st chemo and the again after 2nd, but it slowed down and by the last few hardly anything at all
i’m really glad that i used it, although no guarantees are give, it worked for me

all the best with your chemos

Gill xx

Thanks for your views ladies I am going to give it a go and see what happens I have had my hair cut short in preparation. Xx

Hi Megsmum
Perhaps you could let me know how you get on with the cold cap as I start my chemo a couple of weeks after you so would be interesting for me to find out what you thought.

Thinking of you for wednesday

Janice x

No probs Lottie I,ll keep you up to date x

Hi Megsmum

I used the cold cap and it worked really well for me. My hair was pretty thick to start, and I had it cut sortish to start, but 7 weeks after 6 FEC no one would know I had chemo. I did shed some hair throughout so it does feel thinner to me , but looks fine to everyone else.

Good luck

Jules
X

Hi Megsmum, I’m pleased to hear you’re going to give the cold cap a try. I’m aware it doesn’t work for everyone but definitely worth a try. It wasn’t available for me which saddened me hugely.

Very best wishes to you for your forthcoming chemo.