Cold cap

Hi, this is my first post. Only two weeks ago I was diagnosed with tnbc. I am still to have CT, MRI and bone scan on Monday as I was only diagnosed the day before I went on holiday. I have been told I will have 6 chemo, op then radiotherapy. I am due to start my chemo in the  next couple of weeks. They have suggested I try the cold cap because I have thick hair. I know it’s quite painful so I am just wondering if anyone has had success with it and if it’s worth it? 

Thanks x 

Hi Katie ,may be worth reposting this question in the chemotherapy section of the site .Good luck with your treatment .

Will do, thanks X

Hi Katie,

I have had 4 of 6 rounds of FECT chemo. I too have thick hair and have been using the cold cap. I still have a full head of hair, although it has thinned a little. I know that there is still a possibility of it falling out, but so far so good. 

The cap itself is uncomfortable for the first 10 mins, then it settles down, and I don’t really notice it. I took Paracetamol last session to help with the first 10 mins, which helped. 

So I would recommend giving it a go - if it works then great, if it doesn’t, it’s only hair!

Best wishes,

Buster

xxxx

Hi there. I am on round 3 of 6 chemo tx today. I use Penguin cc. I put it on one hour before infusion, through chemo and four hours after the chemo infusion is done. Switching them every thirty minutes. I totally recommend it. I have shed more than usual especially after round two. I also take hair supplements, silica and hydrate well. I have also heard that Taxotere can cause permanent hair loss. Cold capping helps preserve the hair follicle and your hair comes in faster and fuller. I recommend it! Good luck and happy capping!

I start chemo tomorrow - also have thick curly hair and going to try the cap. I was diagnosed the end of November and it’s been a long wait coming. Also have triple negative.
My nurse said it’s 80% successful so here’s hoping .

Good luck x