Coldcap

Can anyone help me. I had done four sessions of the cold cap and it was going really well. My hair had thinned a bit but I still had a reasonable covering. At my last treatment, without explanation the nurse said she was using an inner cap…a bit like a jay cloth…as it was thin on top…I thought this was normal but when the cap came off there was no ice on my head and I have begun to lose more hair this last week. My final treatment is on Tuesday and I just wondered if anyone else has had experience of this inner cap. Just wish it had been discussed with me and now wondering whether I am going to lose the same amount of hair as I did in the early days. BCN fobbed me off saying it would probably have come out anyway!

Doglover - I have read somewhere about putting gauze on head if there are thinning/bald patches to stop damage to the scalp,  which it sounds as if this nurse has done. I finished chemo 11 weeks ago having used the cold cap and have kept the majority of my hair. Having said that it is a lot thinner and I continued losing hair until last week when it suddenly felt a lot stronger and as it was like grey wire wool so I coloured it.

I have found the cancerhaircare.co.uk site really informative , especially the section on scalp cooling - you can send for a booklet from the Lister Hospital which is really useful. Have a look to get some info before you next go for treatment.

Don’t give up though, even if you have lost some more, wait and see what happens. You have done the major part, well done.

Good luck. Marli x

Thanks marli…glad things are working out well for you. I remember you advising me to stick with the Cold cap when i first started this journey and im so glad I did. Had kept quite a lot of it until the last cycle. The liner she used covered my whole head and not just the thin bit and I think that is why there is more coming out. Just wish I had asked why and what Would happen. Now ive got less hair I suspect same will happen this time. Ive used African royale hot six oil which you can get on amazon which has kept my hair in good condition. Warm it in the microwave and massage it in and leave for a little while…youll be amazed at the difference. …no more wiry bits!! Thanks for the encouragement

I’m 5 weeks past chemo tomorrow and used the cold cap. My hair thinned - my hairdresser reckons I lost about 25%. I seem to have lost a lot since the last chemo and it’s still shedding especially when I wash it. Hopefully the same will happen with mine marli and it will stop soon. Fingers crossed!

Thanks marli. It’s helpful to hear about your experience.
Good Luck with the rest of your chemo and using the cold cap Doglover2.

I successfully cold capped for 3 fec and 11 weekly taxol. Probably lost 50% of the weight of my hair but no bald patches. Cancer hair care have been fab. Are you close by marli??

Marli…finished chemo and so glad I stuck with cold cap coloured it last week and look vaguely normal. Questioned gauze under cap on last chemo and nurse didn’t see any need. Got lumpectomy in couple of weeks but tumour has shrunk…actually disappeared so really pleased. Just wish surgery was over now. How are you doing…did you do radiotherapy. …got that to come as well

So pleased the cold cap worked doglover. Marli I assumed you were near Stevenage as you’ve mentioned cancer hair care and Lister hospital! I’m actually only 20 mins from them so have popped into their salon a couple of times for a trim, colour and manicure!

Hi marli…glad youve had good news and are firmly set on the homeward strait…its one helluva journey. Cant believe how utterly horrific the chemo is on hindsight. You get on with it when you have to and its wonderful stuff just cant believe how drained and exhausted I feel. Thanks for your help. …

Glad the chemo’s over doglover and marli you’re recovering well. I get a bit confused when the do a full mx even though the tumour has shrunk to nothing, but I guess if you’ve had it before it’s a precaution.

I finished chemo on 10 April and haven’t lost anymore hair. I’ve read that Tamoxifen can cause thinning but fortunately mine is still growing and thickening up nicely.

I’m with you pinkbaglady for Tuesday finish. What treats have you been rewarding yourself with? My hospital have given me weekly reflexology and relaxation session. On Tuesday I’m going horse riding with my daughter and have booked a massage later too!!!

My treats have been a Benefit blusher - I don’t usually buy expensive make-up but I’m very pleased with it! A scarf and some popbands for my hair.

Hope you don’t mind be butting in but I have just started this chemo lark and am due my 2nd on Friday. I have used the cold cap once and intend to thorough out . My question is this, my hair over the last couple of days has only just started shedding but not very much so far and only when I brush it. How much should I be prepared for and will it accelerate after my next session? (I’m having 4 x TC).

Oh and a 2nd question should I beicing the conditioner with water before it is sprayed on my hair prior to the cold cap or should I be putting neat conditioner on my hair?
Kind regards
Gaynor x

Thanks PaulS, I will have a look. I use nioxin atm which helps with thinning hair. Good tip about the hat after treatment as I didn’t realise last time about the ice on your head afterwards!!!

Interesting that we were given different advice! But great that it seems to have worked for so many of us.
P x

Hiya…my hair started shedding just before chemo 2 and for the next week the hair loss was at its greatest and then it slowed dramatically. Its a difficult journey and am so glad I continued with the cold cap which was due to encouragement on this site. Lost about half but didn’t need wig. Good luck with it. The cold cap isnt pleasant but if it works you…stick with it but don’t forget the pain killers. I used simple shampoo and conditioner and am now Using nioxin…wonder if nioxin is too harsh during treatment. …might be best to check the chemical content. …oh and make Sure cap is a tight fit x

Hi ladies,
Can I ask if you used a blow dryer during your treatment at all. I’ve been told today that I can’t use it at all even on a low setting. Hair started to shed quite abut today prior to today’s 2nd session but I’m planning to wash in the morning so just wondering what today. There is no way I can go out at all if I can’t blow dry it as I look like a frizzy bear! I will have to collect my wig.

Gaynor I feel for you. I cold capped November to April, 3 x fec and 11 weekly taxol. It’s hard but worth it. I lost probably 50% of my hair weight overall and managed with a comb over, bun, and occasional wig at my daughter’s insistence x

Sorry Gaynor, didn’t answer your question, yes I used low heat hairdryer, but only once or twice a week. Lots of conditioner all organic, or free from colours and perfume.

Hi gaynor. I was told luke warm water when washing and no heat at all. I found if I sprayed my hair in the morning I could style…if thats the right word. …with a comb. Your hair will thin and you learn to live with it. I finished chemo six weeks ago and already my scalp is covered and its thickening up. If you can bear the torture stick with. …its worth it. It a journey you are on and you can’t change it but its weird how you learn to live with the changes it brings in other ways…good luck joyce