Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Colouring hair after chemo

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: Colouring hair after chemo

Hi everyone,

Successful trip the hairdressers. I now have semi perminant hair colour on my hair and it didnt fall out (well not yet anyway lol). My hairdresser (who is also a good friend) told me that the the re growth is strong and even.

Sooo glad I took the plunge as looks and I feel so much better.

x

Highlighted

ooops forgot to say it's 8 weeks since my last chemo x

Highlighted

Hi Everyone,

Im planning a trip to the hairdresser on Tuesday for some colour. I know it's probably too soon but Im thinking what have I got to loose.  Ive been wearing hats and scarves since I gave up the ghost with the cold cap in the second cycle of chemo and shaved.

The general advice is to wait 6 months, but like everything else I guess this a based on averages and so far everything that's happened to me in the last 7 months, mx, chemo etc hasn't fallen into the average so what the hell........

The hair is about half an inch long and returning in varying shades of grey. So yeah I'm going for it on Tuesday probably a vegetable dye as hoping this will be gentler.

I just need to even things up and zap the steely grey.......

Ive been highlighted blond for years but secretly knew I was turning grey lol..

Will let you know how it goes..

xx

Highlighted

I would wait 6 months at least before using permanent hair dye because your hair is more brittle when it first grows back.  I used Level 1 (temporary) hair colour and it seemed to cover the grey very well for over a month.  Although it gradually faded with time, it still looked much better than grey.  

Level 2 (semi-permanent) and Level 3 (permanent) use much harsher chemicals than level 1 hair colour and so-called "organic" or "natural" hair colours do actually use similar chemicals to the regular hair dyes so they aren't any milder.  I've summarised the information I found in a post on my blog a couple of years ago: http://iameclectica.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/colouring-hair-after-chemotherapy.html

I ended up using temporary hair colour for about 2 years after chemo because I got on well with it and prefer to use milder chemicals.  Only in couple of months have I started using semi-permanent hair colour and then only occasionally.  I also did some photos recording my hair colouring "experiments" in the months after chemotherapy so you can see how the colour lasted and what sort of fading I got.  It seemed to depend on exactly which shade I used see: http://iameclectica.blogspot.co.uk/p/chemo-hair-regrowth_16.html

Highlighted

Hi Murphy, my sister also used a vegetable dye which worked great for her. Once her hair started growing back she had a lot of grey so started colouring it pretty much as soon as there was enough there to colour, there's no way she would have waited 6 months. She used to buy hers in our local health food store xx
Highlighted

Hi Murphy, I coloured mine after 3 months using an organic vegetable dye, it was fine and didn't cause me any problems x

Highlighted

Colouring hair after chemo

Hiya, I'm 20 weeks after my last chemo and absolutely desperate to colour my hair. My hairdresser says to wait for 6 months post chemo, but she did put a semi perm colour on for me a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately the grey is already coming back thro so I'm so looking forward to getting a nice permanent colour.

Has anyone coloured their hair with a permanent dye before the 6 months deadline, and if so did it turn out ok? Xxxxx