71625members
375791posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coming out the other side - one year on!

Jayney

Re: Coming out the other side - one year on!

fogot to say that I started a new thread (cos I couldn't find this one - doh) "crossing the finish line", just wanted to share my elation at herceptin finishing......

x x x

Jayney

so glad I popped on on the off chance and great to hear from you Yvette and Sue! Rach, thinking of you big time, big hugs Rach, you know where I am if you need a chat.

I have missed our thread, FB is just not the same and as you say Rach, I don't necessarily want all my friends knowing everything.

Lulubelle - hope you are doin ok and recovering nicely and NNL, hope that drain is out and you feeling good too.

As most of you know, I have crossed the herceptin finish line - whoop whoop. Its been a long hard road and I certainly wouldn't have got this far without you gals giving me a helping hand. Decided to continue on 4 days/week until Xmas to give my battered body a bit of chance to recover - went down like a lead balloon!

Met Gina for lunch last week, which was lovely and so looking forward to seeing you all in Nov.

Keep us posted Rach and much love to all

Jayney
xxxxxx

hollymeg

fingers crossed my nutty welsh breast buddie...luv you babe xxxx

Mummytumbles

so far so good girls - had a few tests andnow in the wait and see phase
xxxx love to all xxxxx

debs

Hi girls, thought I'd come on and see who's around!! Lulu glad to hear you are doing ok, and rach will be thinking of you on Monday.
Lisa glad to hear you are blond again, getting back to the old you, i have decided to go darker, highlights too expensive lol!
Yvette good to hear from you too!!
love to all Debs xxxx

Mummytumbles

hello xxxxx
Lulu it was lovely to chat - so sorry you had to have the big op, but in your position it is what would do.

Pauline - give that puppie a pat from me lol.

decided i am popping so many co-codies I must be getting addicted but in too much pain to think about stopping just yet

will let you all know the out come of monday - thanks for the kind thoughts xxxxx

Lulu34

sorry yvette

i never noticed your comments... naughty Lulu.

anyway the ca125 we have discovered was raised due to my endometrium being thickened which is a side effect of the tamoxifen... ca125 is sensitive to any abdominal inflammation not just cancers... i hadnt restarted in in feb when my blood test was lower but had been on it about 5 months when tested in august so this is the most likely cause.

however i did have a mirena coil in situ which is supposed to thin the lining of the uterus so wouldnt have expected to have such raised ca125 levels... but when i had my pre-op scan (day before my op) it showed uterus lining was significantly thickened so i changed my mind from the BSO and opted for a hysterectomy instead so in the future i dont have to worry about endometrial thickening, tamoxifen side effects on the endometrium, coil effects or even smear tests cos my cervix was removed at the same time.

hope you are keeping well too

Pauline hope you can get your drain out soon it must be such a pain in the ass to carry it around with you... glad your booby is looking good.

Lxx

hollymeg

Hi girls, nice to see some familiar faces popping on here

Rach hun, good luck next week...let us know how u get on will u ...fingers crossed x

Lulu, glad to hear all is going well, hope your letting everyone look after you....you need to get fit for whitby

lisa, lovely to hear your doing well, hope all goes well with the scan.....always something isnt there

Hi yvette, lovely to hear from you too hun

I still have drain in 3 weeks after my recon....puppy doing well so im not complaining

Take care all my lovely gerties ...lots of luv from NNL xxx

Lulu34

Hiya Lisa Good luck with your bone scan.

your holiday sounds great.

well its now over a week since i had my hysterectomy and got my stitch out today and the wound is healing nicely although a little red and irritated where the beads were situated.

really pleased i opted for the full hysterectomy and not just the keyhole BSO dont regret my decision at all.... even if it does mean im gonna be off work a lot longer than originally planned.

its my sons 16th birthday on friday i cant believe how fast my babies have grown up.... he wants a BBQ for his friends so lets hope the weather stays dry for probably our last BBQ of the year.

rach good luck with your appt next week ill be thinking of you please let me know how you get on hunny.... you can phone me anytime to repay the favour.

love and hugs to all xxxx

lisa_lisa

Hi Ladies great to catch up and know that we all know how the other one is feeling it seems are treatments after being so similar are all now so different ...How is that !!!! Im having mld every week by a great lymphadima team in my local town in Dudley one bonus there clinic is right on my door step .Getting loads of bone pain so bc nurse has recommended another bone scan !!!! Had quite a few purks from this including nice free holiday in Minehead with hubby and kids and a free dishwasher lol .....
I now hug my beautiful kids tighter and tighter ever day
Lots of love ladies
Taking a friend for her rad appointment tomorro think its made me realize how far we have come so wanted to pay this site a visit x
Lisa Lisa
Lisa (now have blonde hair again .... bleach.... and new clothes 2 sizes bigger

Mummytumbles

hellooooooo my lovelies

i have my date with the gynae guy/lady on 27/9 I am so relieved to be seeing her.
hugs Rachel x

hollymeg

Thanks rach, im a bit down at min, my friend got bc back and in her liver too, started chemo again on thursday bless her. i've still got drain in, still draining over 100ml a day, bloody heamatoma under arm which i just had checked again by the surgeons, they want to leave it alone...and i am missing out on seeing the gerties and doing the calender shoot this weekend so not a happy bunny today....lots of luv from a very miserable NNL xxx

Mummytumbles

NNL I am so happy for you - after the past 6 months you deserve so deserve to be happy love you DWB xxxx

hollymeg

we may have all moved on but when times get a bit tough, where do we turn, back here to the friends who understand how we feel. Lulu and rach my breast buddies, sending you both the biggest hugs ever and have everything crossed for you. cant wait to see you in only 10 weeks, can you believe that?

just an update for those of you not on fb, i had my reconstruction on wednesday!!! was on the beach in teneriffe last week when i got the call to say i had a cancellation....i am now the proud owner of a cleavage and one pert puppy (other to be lifted shortly when this one settles down) still in hospital, bit sore but on the mend.

lots of luv and gertie hugs to all of you from your NNL xxx

yvetteh

Lulu... am also thinking of you, too! Could be just normal fluctuations in your CA125 level?

Try not to worry too much (easier said than done, I know..). I am just glad that you will soon be having treatment to prevent any future problems and worries.

Take care and best wishes,

*hugs!!!*

Yvette

yvetteh

Hi everyone,

Rach: Sending you positive vibes and am hoping for only the best outcome for you, hunni!! Thinking of you!

Was at the Breast Clinic yesterday and saw the Breast Cancer Care pamphlets... one with gorgeous Rach on the cover, and another with a feature on gorgeous Small Star, and also the full gang at Centre Parcs. Inspirational!

I am so proud of you all!!! 🙂

Sending you lots of love and well wishes,

Yvette

Mummytumbles

hey lovelies
sorry I sounded so dull and down - thank you for your words of support. debs I love teaching and I really love teaching science.
Good luck for the BSO lulubelle, weird jump in your Ca125 i agree, no wonder your twitchy... i would be too - make sure they do at least 4 MRSA swabs at yourt pre -op - my pal only had two and they cancelled his op because some daft nurse only did his nose and groin! honestly i dispare - he even asked if she had done enought because he had alsways had four swabs before... surgeon was absolutely stamping as you can imagine... glad it wasn't me tee hee.

Right i'm off to see more patients - at least there are some people more miserble than me ( yes the drs ho ho ho ho ho )
love and hugs xxxxxxx

debs

New job sounds fab Rachel, you would make lectures so interesting and funny, the students would love you!! Cant believe your current employers said that, I agree with Lulu surely they cant say that!!
Well done!!! love Debs xxx

Lulu34

rach sounds like the new job is def the one to go for... for working in the health service your current place is so lacking in understanding.

i think that even saying that is discrimination and you could probably argue your case under the DDA.

nobody knows whats a round the corner and the fit healthy ones may be off sick in the future too.

hopefully you will only be having planned time off for your new boob and nothing serious... hoping your just a bit cysty.

im getting my BSO on 14th going for my pre op next tues.... and am a bit concerned about my rising ca125 jump from 18 in feb to 34 in aug so still normal but a big rise.... will be glad to be rid of the wee buggers LOL

take care my little DWB friend xxx

Mummytumbles

cheers chicks
I am ok but arent we all!
kids back at school, me working flat out - no wonder the wine looks good.xxx
i got the job but feel so guilty as I my be off again before we know it - in fact I am in 2 minds about ringing and saying i cant do it - then again i think bloody hell rach get with the prog live for today as if there will be no problems tomorrow - so I make that decision cos it feels healthy and right and when I get to work this morning I ask - 'did you send off my application to become a yellow fever provider?' (it cost 150 non refundable) THE ANSWER I GOT WAS - NO COS WE THINK YOU WILL BE OFF SICK!
gutted!!!
so sorry my gorgeous girlies feel down but still smiling - got a coat hanger in my mouth dont you know lol Rachel xxxx

HurdyGurdy

Hi Rach - just popped on on the off chance. Fingers crossed for you lovely - am sure all will be fine. Al xxxx

debs

dont come on here much but so glad i did, Rach will be thinking of you and hope that its all ok. Hope the interview went well too
love debs xxxx

Lulu34

rach i hope its just a wee cysts and nothing serious hunny.... thinking about you xxxx

how did your interview go? keeping my fingers crossed for everything xxx

alexamay09

Hello lovely Rachel
So sorry you are still going through the mill. So unfair. Keeping everything crossed for you. You are such a strength and support to everyone on the thread and helped keep us all go through the tough stuff. Take care and keep posting to let us know how it goes.
Hello to everyone else. I keep coming back to the forum just to look at posts and see how everyone is doing. Think about you all even though I'm terrible at keeping in touch. xxxx

Mummytumbles

hi girlie chicks

Yvette it is soooooooo lovely to see you on here!!!
Dawn - wot u like huni - love you loads girl and we will get new pups soon

Well...

oh sh*t...
remember i told you I had gynae probs - I had my scan today and whilst i am almost certain it is nowt (to use a quaint nothern expression) there is something suspicious on my left ovary (my only ovary) - it 3cm and possibly a haemorrhagic cyst but they are worried so I have been referred to the gynaecologist urgently for further review.

I havent posted on FB about this because I have friends on there that I really don't want to know until I can say I am fine all tests proved clear.
In the mean time I'm not saying owt (lol you derby and notts girls will know what I mean) to my kids. fab man is keeping the stiff upper lip and I am a bit fed up with having to pretend but its best huh?

so my chickidees I have poured a large GnT which is unusual for a school nite and I have meeting for another job at 9 am tomorrow - lecturing A level/BTEC physiology (fabbo)so must keep clear happy head
love you loads
RAchel
p.s I re-read our posts not so long ago and laffed out loud at some them and cried at others xxxxx

drabble

hi all, started readin from the start,what along way with have come,all of you sayin what you had and goin for chemo was really sad, but that was so last year girls, really pleased paulines scans was ok,abit pi..ed off cause everyones gettin recon exept me and the lovely rach lol,what im tryin to say is a big thankyou for bein there with me love you all xxx

yvetteh

Hi everyone,

It has been a very long time since I last posted. Have been on occasion keeping up with the thread. Now seeing that mostly everyone has moved on, which is really great! Missing the regular postings, though.

Just thought I would pop on here and say hi, and send everyone a big hug!

Take care and wishing you all lots of health and happiness! 🙂

Yvette

only1chris

great news! Well done you for keeping your pecker up and still being funny lovely you through all this s...t!
Celebrate!!
love C

alexamay09

Hey Pauline - I am so, so delighted for you. Now you can breathe a sigh of relief and be free of this horrible worry. Fantastic news. lots of love
alex
xx

hollymeg

hi everyone...just letting you know i had good news today...all tests were clear. just having a bone density scan then they are changing me on to arimidex as i have no overies now. Feels like i have a weight lifted off my shoulders after 16 months of hell. I can now enjoy my family and move on with my life. Thanks for all the lovely messages i have received....and i hope everyone on here are all doing well with whatever you are dealing with. big hugs from pauline xxx

only1chris

Pauline,
Been thinking of you all week, Am so hoping it is good news tomorrow.
Lots of love and best wishes... C

PS like many others i dont post or visit so ofren now but do come here every so often to catch up on how everyone is doing....

hollymeg

hi gerties.....just incase any of you still pop on here. well its here....6 months check to see what was in my head.....had the blood tests and xrays last week ready for seein onc tomorrow. i will let you all know how it goes.....fingers crossed everyone...if all goes well it could be the end of 16 months crap and i can go on holiday on sunday and celebrate.

luv to all my breast buddies....missing you all and can't wait to see you all in november....still so sad hayz never made it....NNL xxx

Mummytumbles

NNL - aug 18th is soooooo far away but also so near - big hugs my daft notts pal.

Lisa and sally - you are so lucky in England - recon is so quick in comparison to wales,I have been referred but told it may take 18months b4 my 1st review and anoth 6 to 12 before the surgery - it seen as non essential and the only way to get it quicker is to go down the mental health route.... no I wont do that

So so so sad about hazel - she was the most funny wee lady with so much to give I am so happy to met her and spent time with her. Rhi even shared the double bed. they both laffed at me in the morning because I didnt move all night and Hazel had to check i was still breathing - bless her

I finally have the letter asking me to fone for my appointment for my USS on my lady bits = wot did we call it - oh yes.. jardin de femme pmsl x gutted at the mo my clothes do not fit belly wise.Glad i bought some empire line jersey cotton dresses from boden - tres comfy

Sue I am sure its p sycho logical - but pee on stick just to make sure.
love yo you all - I am wandering round the house looking for my big girl but she is on a flight to S Africa, i'm missing her already - bet she hasnt even thought of us lol
good night girls xxxx

hollymeg

Hi girls...just popped on to check on you all.....beena tough week for us all....but as usual we are all pulling together to get each other through.....

Debbie just finished my packing.....and im charging my camera ready

lovely to see so many of you still on here, lisa i am too waiting for my recon
sally nice to see u on here hope your well

i see nurses lulu and rachel are still looking after everyone...keep up the good work girls

Caro fingers crossed for the results, the waiting is awful isnt it

Alex nice to see you on here, like you bc is part of every day life...every ache...every pain....starts your mind racing. I'm sorry to hear jackie isn't doing so well, sending her big (((hugs)))

sue glad your enjoying being a mummy

Rach hun, can't believe you are waiting again to be checked out....this disease sucks and thats me being polite!!!!

I get my head checked out again on the 18th AUG can u believe that will be 6 months since they said i had mets??? must say im bricking it......lots of mind occupying activities over the next 3 weeks, including a wee holiday with my breast buddie debbie...cant wait to catch up with her, ali and paula....oh and yes rach....we will be drinking.....we will be raising a glass for our hazel...

Take care everyone, luv NNL xxx

debs

Hi girls, dont come on here often now, but after the sad news of hazel last night just felt i had too!!
It seems our problems whether big or small just go on don't they! But we are strong and we will get through it!
My mammo results were fine, but still worry about the rest of me!
Looking forward to Pauline coming for her London break!!
have a good summer girls, love Debs xxxx

sunflower65

Hi Lisa Lisa

Nice to hear from you and to know that you are dong ok.and that you are getting your life back on track.

Im having recon later this year hopefully so would love to know of any tips etc that you might have. which kind of recon did you have, Im going to have the one from my back (cant remember what its called)

I often come on here maybe not to post a comment but just to have a read up on how people are doing etc

take care Sally xx

lisa_lisa

Hi Ladies
just popped on to say hi and Im fixed again !!!! I think thats why I havent been on but It just shows that I also still need this site xxxx

Have done race for life and back at work and back to being mom again . just need to lose this weight !!!!! O
h and get a hair cut lol
And am still very lop sided not that I want to do anything about it yet ...What about you ladies have you had any recon surgery ????

Lulu34

Evie its unlikely to have failed so soon, but if your late then its probably wise to do IPT just to put your mind at rest.

even though your cancer was found during pregnancy it is possible that it was there before you got pregnant... and most research nowadays doesnt support the idea that pregnancy after breast cancer is not an option... although some oncologists and surgeons still think this is the case its not evidence based.

i do however realise that having had a sterilisation that for you pregnancy isnt an option so its probably best to get it checked but like you say it could well be the tamoxifen....

it could also be that you are worrying about getting pregnant and the psychological pressure delays your period.... but no contraception is 100% and the fail rate for female sterilisation is 1 in 200.

caro keeping my fingers crossed you get your results soon.

karen hope you are starting to feel a wee bitty better.

alex hope you get some good news about your mammo shortly, sorry to hear Jackie isnt so well. sending my love to you both.

Lulu xx

evie2007

Am tiny bit freaked out ladies! My periods have been to the day since i started all this crud. Never missed one. My first one after the sterilisation was as usual yet now we arent using protection, its late!!! Could be old Tamoxifen finally kicking in but pooping it a bit in case it failed...not likely is it???

Just something else for me to worry about seeing as my cancer was found in pregnancy and preganancy is not recommended at all!!

X

Mummytumbles

oh my lovelies thank you so much!!!
Sue - glad you have sorted out your head and your work. bloody idots at work - they have no sodding idea do they. I am So so so sorry about the sterilisation. All my love to you. xx
Lulubelle - wise words indeed thank you
caro - with you on the histology - you will be able to relax when that is thru.
karen - hope your feeling a bit better for coming on here and letting off a bit of steam - we are all here for each other.
lots and lots of love xxxxx

alexamay09

Sue - its great that you are loving your new status. Rach, am sure all will be fine, thinking of you and sending positive vibes. Am still waiting for the result of my repeat mammo. Feel confident all will be good though. My biggest problem is I never have a day where I'm not thinking about bc, reading tons of stuff to try and maximise chance of staying in good health. Jackie not so good and am always worrying about her! Do you think we will ever really come out the other side?
xx

caro111

Aww, Rachel my huni, I can only echo the wise (as always) words of Lulu: The chances of ovarian cancer are so so small that you really shouldn't be wasting your time worrying about it. Saying that, I totally empathise because I'm waiting for the histology results from my oopherectomy and won't be totally settled until I know everything's all clear. I really hope you can be reassured asap and that those awful periods subside.

Sue, really pleased to hear you're enjoying life as a full-time mum!

Love to you all. xxx

Lulu34

Rach like Sue i had absolutely mental periods when i started tamoxifen... well was about 3 months in and had very frequent, prolonged bleeding with major flooding.... was always worried at work with my lovely white nurses uniform and just about lived in the loo.

thank god for my mirena is all i can say.

rach in terms of your concern over Ov ca it is extremely unusual to get that under age 50.... even my genetic ladies would be more likely to get it in their 50s and 60s.... and by extremely unusual i dont just mean unusual in the breast cancer terms.

take care chickie... hope your appt doesnt take too long to come through as i can understand your concerns.

Sue sorry to hear you were having to put up with numpties at work but glad your enjoying your new job as housewife and mother..... hope gracie has a fabby birthday.

love and huggles Lxx

smallstar

Love you all xxxxxxxx

evie2007

Oh Rach that sounds awful. My first period after tamoxifen was like that with cramps like a miscarriage, 5lb weight gain and swelling but it did stop. I hope they can sort what ever is going on.

I have handed my notice in at work. Cant keep smiling away while i hear the endless hair comments from collegues and the "ah, youve got 2 girls, when you gonna try for a boy?!" err never seein as i am sterilised now. Also the few horrible women really upset me so i guess its just not the time for me to be a midwife but i will return on the bank.

I am now a housewife and to be honest, it bloody rocks. I love it and i love seeing my kids. Gracie is 2 on sunday. Where has the time gone.

She hope op goes a smoothly as poss and Biggles, maybe chat to someone in the know?

Take care

X

Mummytumbles

p.s. I know all of the signs I have are similar to loads of issues inc ovarian Ca - my Gp is also concerned but has still only sent a non urgent referral so I sit and wait.

Mummytumbles

hello chums - long time - I guess like biggles i was trying to cope with out this site - guess what I can't.
Dear biggles huni see you GP for some support ? a counselor ?if only to cure you of the soap opera addiction... love and hugs to you
Oh She poor you -good luck and all my best wishes for a speedy recovery. BTW you 24th aug is my 42nd b'day and for the past two yrs I have spent every B'day in hospital - hoping this yr will be different....but.....
since April I have had awful periods - menorrhagia - but the past month has been horrendous - I now cant wear skirts or trousers because my belly is so swollen ( I mean I know I'm plump (fat)) but I am sure I havent put that much weight on recently - I am also have lymphoedema probs. God I sound so happy - NOT! sorry girls not on here for an age and only come on to moan ( cant really do that on fb can you?)
Anyway I am now waiting for more blood tests and an ultra sound on my lady bits! I only have one ovary so why I am having such issues is beyond me.
Work is going well at the mo' hard but really good and challenging - I love it.
My girls are getting ready for trips away for the summer - I think I am more excited than they are.
thanks for listening my dear friends xxxxxxx

caro111

Pauline, when I knew I was having my ovaries out I did a lot of research into Tamoxifen vs AIs, and even though AIs are superior to Tamoxifen in women who have gone through the natural menopause, they found that Tamoxifen and AIs had the same efficacy in women who had undergone a forced menopause, so I guess you might as well stay on Tamoxifen if it suits you...

Btw, the reason I've switched to an AI is because I also found a paper suggesting that Tamoxifen doesn't work in BRCA1 carriers (me)!

Lulu34

pauline you can stay on tamox.... they may have a policy for what happens in certain situations and they often takje into account things like tumour size and node involvement etc.... i think if you are at a higher risk of recurrence eg HER2, larger tumour (over 2cm usually) or have positive nodes then they may be more inclines to move you on to an AI as they have done with Jayney, otherwise they will prob just continue you on tamox, but it does vary from place to place.

Lxx

hollymeg

Hi gerties....your conversation caught my eye. I was put on tamoxifen after chemo put me into menopause. i have since had overies out too. do i stay on tamoxifen or do i need to enquire about changing when i see my onc?....hope all my breast buddies are doing ok.....schools out tomorrow...yippie......going on holiday in couple of weeks....going to stay with my good friend debbie and meeting with ali too.....can't wait to see them....we will have a drink or 3 for you all xxx