cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Commuting and work

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Commuting and work

Fantastic news Kmk

Each and every one of us is different. I spent quite some time feeling a failure, but I was doing my best. Now i recognise my best & do what I can, when I can. Occassionally I will push a bit harder, but this usually results in a quieter time the next day - or more weariness - all the balance of life.

Best wishes,

LL xx

Thanks ladies, it's made me feel I am not being a drama queen telling my boss I am not going to be in the office much over the next few months.

My employer has had a bit of a change of heart and will allow me to work from home as much as I want and work when I can. Think they have finally read their legal responsibilities and understand how pooped I will be. They have even bought me a super dooper laptop to work on rather than using my own. So I'm just going to take it each day/ week at a time as I am at the very beginning of my BC journey and too many uncertainties on the road. X

Hi Kim, i had surgery and rads in 2014. was hit hard by fatigue, alsi prescribed anastrazol and currently still pace myself. In jan increased workung week from 10 hours to 25,,, feeling pooped again, but still pushing. Due to change in circumstances had some financial products in place prediagnosis - these have been my saving grace. Good luck and take each day as it comes. Check out EMPLOY charter on here, and Macmillian info re work and your rights. I had a sticky time and ultimately resigned from my post last year despite a detailed occ. health return to work plan. X

Hi Kmk66

I have to do a daily commute as well, total of 12 hours door to door. With all the appointments, paperwork, chemotherapy, surgery(s), radiotherapy...no, don't expect to be able to do that every day. Absolutely impossible. I worked through chemotherapy, but I work in engineering and research and I used to get some work from home / work from bed / work from bathroom / work from hospital time. It will be too fatiguing to commute and work every day, and you will want to reserve your energy for the actual work and keeping your life in order rather than the commutes. You can try and arrange to live nearer to work, or take a week off during the time chemotherapy hits you hard. I used to take my chemo session on a Thursday, and do my best to go to work on Friday, and take the next week off / work from home. 

I am doing the rads now, and the daily rad session along with the commute is really challenging! Will consider renting a nearby place to stay towards the end.

All in all, you can do it Smiley Happy But you need to arrange for some good flexibility with work, otherwise I would say from personal experience that it's impossible.

there isn't ever a good time for this really!

I guess I'm jumping the gun a bit and I just have to wait and see. It's the driving to and from the office that's concerning me as I'm wrecked by Friday anyway without dealing with BC and the after effects.

Hope you get away with op and rads only.

The daily rads are tiring themselves (really kicks in around 2 week mark) but I also found driving to hospital day in day out was tiring and I only had less than 30min drive each way. You can request your rad appointments for specific time every day but there's no guarantee that you will get them so you need to factor working from home some of the day during treatment at least.
I know all about bad timing: I was only back at work for 6 weeks after maternity leave when I got diagnosed and we moved too while I was off!

Thank you Herewego.
My treatment at the moment doesn't include chemo but it depends on the results and if it's upgraded. Currently only rads after lumpectomy.

I think I might be underestimating how long I am going to be out of action and back on full pay and I know it's stupid to be thinking of this sort of stuff but as the main bread earner, it is worrying me as we only moved house 6 months ago and I tripled my mortgage!!........bad timing comes to mind!!
Highlighted

hi Kmk,

sorry to hear about your diagnosis but you're in a good company here as the ladies here are amazing.

Re your question - it all depends on what treatment you are on (there are different chemos and everyone reacts to them differently and the daily rads will make you really tired). I personally have been off for a year now although I did work the odd days during first lot of chemo (1-2 days during the 3rd week of the cycle) but could do that when the weekly chemos started and rads just finished me off.

Having said all that I know there ladies here who worked through all of their treatment so hopefully they can give you more reassurance x

Commuting and work

Hi,

I am recently diagnosed but trying to understand how having BC will effort my life during treatment and beyond so apologies for a bit of a premature question.

I commute an 80 mile round trip to work which is about 2.5 hours daily driving. This means from leaving home to returning is 11.5 hours. Although I can do my job from home, my employer is a little old fashioned about "home working".

I was wondering if anyone else has a similar trip to work and how long it was before you were able to get back  fully functional?

i know this is probably a "how long is a piece of string" question as we are all different and have different treatment plans but any indication would ease my mind Smiley Happy

Spoiler