Hi Di, been thinking of you last few days - wondering if any news? Marge xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Confused, concerned, worried... advice please xx

Good luck Hunni xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

The waiting is hideous. I know we're all different but I generally prefer to have the facts and face up to things, have probably read every word on this site(!), so being left hanging for weeks was torture, especially the bit before I had an appointment date.
I think the best approach (to lots of things in life) is to hope for the best, but expect the worst. Try to get plenty of sleep and put yourselves first - soon you will know where you stand and the last few days of waiting, whilst torture, aren't going to change whatever's happening in your bodies for better or for worse, so just be extra kind to yourselves. xx
Guest user
Not applicable

I know hun, I was so disappointed after seeing the consultant, as I thought I would have the scans the same day as in other areas of the UK they do. As the Consultant said he couldnt tell what I was wrong and that I needed further investigation it made me worry more not less!
My appointment is at 1.30pm, yes hun my hubby is coming with me 🙂
Guest user
Not applicable

It's crazy when you live in different parts of UK they have completely different guide lines!! What times your appointment on Monday Hun? are you taking anyone with you? Waiting is a nightmare xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks Em,
I saw my GP on the Thursday and she said I would hear in 48 hours. I hadnt heard by Monday so I rang and spoke to the Practice Manager who confirmed the referral had been faxed over Thursday at 3pm (lol) and that if I hadnt heard by Monday afternoon to call her back and she would chase it up. Anyway, the hospital called me Monday afternoon and gave me an appointment for the next day. xx
Guest user
Not applicable

If I dont here tomos I will go to gp and ask questions and make sure their have up to date numbers which I'm almost positive they have got..I'm so glad your feeling calmer today as that makes it a much more positive day..how long was it from time you seem gp to time you got appointment at b clinic? Xx
Guest user
Not applicable

I am feeling quite calm thanks Em. I go Monday so hoping I will know either way. However, if they decide do a biopsy them I will have to wait for those results.
Glad you arent feeling in as much pain today hun, it gets you down doesnt it? I would definietly chase it up , a week seems along time to wait without hearing about an appointment.
Fingers crossed you hear soon.
Oh, just a thought has your GP got your up to date telephone number as they normally call you for thr first appointment?
Hugs xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Great news marg very happy for you x
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi di not a lot of pain so don't feel to bad today.. Still haven't heard from clinic and gp sent referral last Thursday.. Will leave it till Thursday and then go back to gp.. How u doing Hun? xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Em,

How are you today? Have you rang B Clinic again, any news? thinking of you hun xx

Hi Marge,

That is amazing news... aww so pleased for you. I bet you are shattered... I totally understand how all the worrying and stress takes it out of you. Thank you for your kind words, I will keep you updated.

Hugs Di x
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Di, I had my appointment today and all was fine - am just getting old and lumpy 🙂 Feel a bit shattered now, I think even when you feel that you've become calm and ready for the worst, your subconscious must be working overtime. Hope the week flies by and your outcome is the same. Thanks for all the support, it helped enormously. I will be thinking of you on Monday and look out for your updates. xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Oh di you have cheered me up you are great support..thank you Hunni..yes gp said it was sent on the 18th the same day I went in to see her..my partner keeps saying its the implant but i truly believe that he in denial..and when I went to gp I thought its my implant and was just wasting her time!! How wrong was I as she was more concerned than me when she examined my boob.. I asked ht what she thought it was but she wouldn't answer and was quit quite and said have you got breast cancer in your family?????? Alarm bells started buzzing in my ears!! Thank you again xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Oh Em I really feel for you.. The waiting has been the hardest bit for me.
Is awful, you really need to ring your GP back as they should have faxed the referral the same day. It really frustrates me that they make you wait so long. The stress and anxiety is bad enough, the added waiting and stress related to that can make your health issues even worse.
I had a small amount of discharge too, clear but it has stopped now but stabbing pains come and go. Also last week I started with a sore rash but that has gone too.. Possibly anxiety putting 2 and 2 together and making 5..
Could it be something has happened to the implant (has it ruptured) rather than it been BC. Did the GP say much about what they thought it could be?
My GP didnt really say alot, or the consultant for that matter.
I would definitely call the GP again tomorrow (ask for the Practice Manager) I did that to chek when mine was faxed over.. luckily mine was the same day.
Here for you hun if you need me.
Take care
Di
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi di my first symptom was pain then I found big mass and discharge from left breast. I also have implants and the left one is sunken and flat..gp wasn't happy and said she referred me to breast clinic. I have had a lot of pain today and phoned only to find out clinic Not received referral yet.. So really upset today..hope your ok Hun? X
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Marge,
Yes it does, cant actually wait now. Just need to know one way or the other.
I had a lovely break thankyou, chilled and kept myself busy take my mind off things.
How are you?

Hi Emma,

Thank you for your kind words.
Sorry that we are meeting under such diffuclt times. You are doing the nest thing talking to people on here. Everyone is amazing considering the stress they are all under. Her for everyone, its so refreshing.
I only waited about 3 days and then got seen by the Consultant who then referred me for a mammogram and ultrasound. I was unhappy as I had thought the scans would be done there and then. I have been waiting about 4 weeks now.. so glad it has come through now atleast I will know either eay.

What were your symptoms Emma? I had a small squishy lump in my right boob. My GP said it was a swollen gland but was concerned about thickening in the right breast. She gave me antibitoics and asked me to go back in a week. I did that but nothing had changed. So she referred me.
The Consultant was very thorough and said I needed further investigation of the right boob due to thickening and a scan of my left boob too as he could feel 2 lumps.. He didnt say what he thought it was or wasnt and I didnt thnk to ask at the time..
So hopefully will get some answers on Monday.
Let me know when you hear anything. Fingers crossed all is ok.

Hugs Di
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi di I'm new on here and only got refered to breast clinic Thursday so still waiting..glad to see you got your appointment through good luck to you from Emma x
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Di
That's good - it feels better when you get a definite date rather than being in limbo. I hope you managed to have an enjoyable break. Take care
Marge xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know that I have had my Mammogram and Ultrasound appointment through (at last!) it is Monday 29th, I will let you know how I get on then.
Feeling kinder calm now and just want to find out either way.
Hope those of you who are still waiting dont have to wait much longer either.

Sending you all warm thoughts and bigger hugs.. Di xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Marge,
I know, but hopefully when I get back home I should have my appointment through. I think you are right about them putting you at the bottom of the pile, they have probably done that with me because I keep ringing lol.. Fingers crossed you get seen soon.

Thanks Poem.. means alot ..

Thanks Caz, I totally understand why you did.. I have been considering going private, was it very expensive? I may do that when back from my hols..
Ours was a One Stop Clinic (You are seen/scanned and told the same day) until they opened a new hospital and closed the old one. They have then revised their procedures and the One Stop Clinic no longer exists. It is bad that they make woman (and men) wait so long for something that could prove to be serious.
Thanks for your support. I hope you are now been taken care of in the NHS clinic and wish you all the best.
I will update you all as soon as I have any other news.
Big hugs Di xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Diane just wanted to say I went privately as the wait was doing my head in .within 45 mins I was seen by consultant had needle biopsy mammogram and ultrasound I couldn't believe the speed and then he referred me back to himself on NHs for my treatment .we have an excellent breast clinic on NHs in our local hosp where all tests and results are given in the same day I believe that should be standard across the whole of the uk as its a dreadful wait sending you lots of love and hugs caz xx
poemsgalore

Hi, I've been reading all your posts, and I'm so sorry you are still in the waiting room. It is avery anxious time for everyone while they are waiting to find out what is wrong. Hopefully, you will find out that you DON'T have BC, but if you do, rest assured that even aggressive tumours don't usually spread or grow as quickly as we imagine and that the time scale won't make a lot of difference. It's just the NOT KNOWING that is frustrating and scary. So I'm wishing you all good luck and hope you get some answers soon. Take Care

Poemsgalore xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Di
That sounds pretty stupid - surely the GPs never quite know, which is why we're supposed to be referred urgently?! Sorry to hear about the additional symptoms, I keep thinking I've found changes too, which makes the delay even more annoying.
I'll let you know how things go - am at stage where I fully expect new appointment to be cancelled again (my complaints are prob getting me moved to bottom of pile!!)
Take care, Marge x
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Marge,

No, no appointment yet. I am so fed up. I did ring and spoke to a lovely lady at the Breast Care Clinic who informed me that if the Consultant is 100% sure it is BC that you get your mammogram/ultrasound within 2 weeks, if he doesnt know/or things its a cyst it is up to 6 weeks !!! I come under the 6 week rule as he didnt know what mine was. However, since my appointment with the Consultant , 3 weeks ago nearly now, I have developed a rash around the aerola of the boob that has the thickening in it so I am really worried now.
I am also going away tomorrow for a week, so will not get to be seen until I come back, a total of 4 weeks nearly. The lady at the Clinic did say she would try to get me in on a cancellation but if I havent heard by tomorrow, take it I will have a letter with a date for when I come back.
Have you heard anything yet? I have been thinking of you and hope you get a benign result too.
Let me know how you get on.

Take care, Di x
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Di
Just wondering if you have heard anything yet? Our timing is similar, so I'm thinking that you should have been seen by now, as things have definitely not worked out per expected timings for me! I think it would have been much less frustrating if the medical staff had been straightforward about potential delays in referral from the outset, but perhaps they didn't know. Hoping to see you posting under 'benign' very soon. xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks Diane72, when I have my rational brain on I think 'must have slept wonky!' but it's been all week, you have a point though, I'm subconciously stressed and tense which is not helping. It's good to know there are others who understand and being able to come on here is a godsend, i've told my partner (played it down though) and decided not to tell my mother/family as there is no point in causing any unecessary distress! I hope you don't have to wait long Diane and that you also get a 'good' outcome, thank you and catch up soon xx
02/04 had a call from the clinic asking if i can attend today as they have a cancellation, cross fingers x
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Jam,
Sorry to hear you are going through a rough time, we are here for you on the forum. It could be a cyst and unfortunately, I think most people on here would agree, any pain or unusual feelings we experience we will automatically link to what we are worrying about. It may be stress that your feeling the aches and pains, as you are going through a very stressful time.
I hope that it is a cyst when you go on the 11th. Please keep us updated. If you do need to talk just message and I will reply.
Thinking of you, I know how stressful it is, the waiting and not knowing. I am waiting for my scans, going chase them up if I havent heard next week.

Take care and big hugs x
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ladies, the waiting and not knowing is horrendous! (still waiting to be seen 11/04) I had calmed down and totally convinced myself that I only have a cyst or fibro and all will be fine, but this week ive experienced shoulder pain and now think it's something sinister, im loosing sleep and going stir crazy, has anyone else experienced shoulder/ back pain?? best wishes to you all x
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi
So sorry that you find yourselves in the ' waiting room '. It surely is the most stressful part. Here s hoping everything is OK and as JCJ said 9 out of 10 abnormalities turn out to be harmless. Hang on to that fact and if it turns out to be different you have found this forum which will provide lots of help and support. Good luck with your appointment and big hugs xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Samcee, it is a very difficult time and the waiting is the hardest part. we (the forum) are here for you and if you need to talk just message me. You must ask for a referral if you are still concerned and there has been no change. Hopefully it is nothing. Good Luck.. let us know how you get on. Big hugs Di xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi, I am new to this but feel I'm not alone.I too am worried, I found small lumps in my left breast and arm pit which has been painful and hot.With this I have discharge fatigue and sweating at night. The GP gave me anti-biotics for a week then told me to make another appointment with my GP. I will insist on another opinion when I go back this thursday.
Guest user
Not applicable

I would/will be just the same. Maybe we need to simply accept that if we're in the clear it doesn't matter when we find out and if we've got something to face up to, it's going to be a long journey. I will keep you posted when I hear anything and keep an eye open for your next update. Take care x
Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks Marge.. I definitely think I feel so let down due to mine own expectations, however I had thought if I needed a scan they would have done it today. Still, no news is good news, they say!
I really hope you get your appointment soon and that all is fine. It is such a worrying time and no matter what people say you cant help but not think about it. Try to have a restful Easter and fingers crossed you hear soon. Please let us (me) know. Thinking of you too Marge. Hugs xx
Guest user
Not applicable

You are very welcome. If I was in your shoes I'd be gutted to find myself no closer to having some answers, especially having built up expectations (and nerves) before today's appointment 😞 I'm still in the frustratedly waiting for contact category - now assuming nothing will happen 'til after Easter, but it is all very hard to ignore and I keep imagining additional symptoms. Thinking of you. Marge x
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Marge, I think you are 100% accurate there. I only saw my GP (2nd) time on Thursday and got to see the Consultant today, so very quick. Back to waiting again.. thanks for your support Marge x
Guest user
Not applicable

Sorry to hear that, the waiting is so unsettling. I assumed it took a couple of weeks to get the consultation arranged as they needed to allocate relatively long sessions to conduct all the tests in one go. To see a consultant and then be called back again seems like unnecessary extra admin (not to mention worry for the patient). The cynic in me wonders if perhaps it's a way of extending the 2 week deadline in a way that still makes it seem like they're fulfiiling their obligations to see you within a fortnight... Keep your chin up x
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone, Thanks Marge..
Been to the Breast Cancer Clinic today... unfortunately still no further forward. I feel more concerned, frustrated and angry now. Consultant examined me, said that there was an area that needed further investigation in my right breast (this is where my GP found the thickening of the breast tissue) and he also found a lump in my left breast. The Lump I presented with to my GP he said was a swollen gland. He then said I would need a Mammogram and ultrasound on each breast and if they found anything they would then do a biopsy there and then. He then told me I would receive my scan appointment in the post within 2 weeks. I was taken aback as I thought I would have them done there and then and have some idea today.
I asked him why I wasnt been seen today and he said that the systems had changed now they had moved into the new hospital and that they dont do them on the same day anymore. He said I would be seen in a couple of weeks. (if he thought he was BC would he have had me scanned straight away?)

Anyone else had a similar experience????
Downhearted Diane 😞
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Di, that's great news. Will be thinking of you tmr, let us know how you get on. M xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone, just wanted to update you. I had a call from the Breast Cancer Clinic today and I have an appointment tomorrow afternoon at 2pm. Cant believe how quick that is from been seen on Thursday, but relieved I should know a bit more.
Di xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Aww thank you JCJ for your lovely kind words.
Yeah, waiting is definitely the worst part of the process. I am quite hopeful that it will turn out to be nothing, and definitely holding on to that fact!
I will let you how I get on. Just great to know that there is someone to talk to, its so much harder, somehow talking to a loved one or family. Strange that, but I just dont want to worry them unnecessarily.
Thanks for the virtual hand to hold, I have grasped hold of it and wont let go until I know the outcome. Although I may need to hold onto it a little after then if it is BC.
I am here for you too JCJ if you need someone.
Thanks again, big hugs (()) Di xx
JCJ

Back in the waiting room, then Di? It's the worst place of this whole process. Even if it is BC - (and it's still more likely that it ISN'T - hold that fact!) once you know what you are dealing with it's much easier to cope. As I said before: try not to over think. It is what it is and worrying won't change anything. (I wish I could have followed that advice myself!) Keep busy. Take time to do things you enjoy and appreciate doing them.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for an appointment sooner rather than later and that it's good news.

Here's a virtual hand to hold \\|// xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone, just wanted to update you. Went back to GP today, antibiotics nearly finshed. No change, still 2 lumps, thickened breast tissue and tenderness, GP says she needs to refer me to Breast Cancer Clinic for a scan. She says I should have a telephone call within 48 hours and an appointment within 2 weeks. Also, started to itch, is this normal? Thanks Di x
Guest user
Not applicable

Aww thank you JCJ and MMM, for your kind words and support, its great to know I am not alone. I have made another appointment to see my GP this Thursday (my last of pencillin is Friday so they should have done what they have needed to by then). I will keep you updated. Thanks again. Sending hugs and support back to you x
millymolly_m

Good words of advice from all the others. Just want to let you know you're not alone we're thinking of you. Don't hesitate to call the BCC line if you need a calming, understanding ear. They are fantastic.
Gentle hugs, MMM x
JCJ

Remember that 9 out of 10 'abnormalities' in the breast turn out to be benign conditions, so don't stress too much. Take the penicillin and if nothing changes go back to your Dr. If it is BC, a week isn't long enough to make that much difference. It's a very worrying time for you. Try to keep busy, so you don't have time to over think it! I imagined all sorts of dire scenarios - didn't do me any good at all! :-). And stay of t'internet - except this site or Macmillan of course.

Good luck. I hope the anti-bs sorts it.
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Angie, thank you so much for your reply. I am very worried, I really dont know what I am looking for (in terms of examing myself) so when my GP said there was thickening of the breast tissue I was alittle taken aback. Didnt really ask her any questions and went off with the prescription. Its only since I got home and thought about it that I started to worry even more. I couldnt help but google it but as you say it doesnt help, just makes things worse. I think I will see how it goes, its my first full day of the pencillin today so will say if it makes any difference, then go back if not. Thank you so much for your kind words, its good to speak to someone. I wish you all the best. Diane x
angiepops

hi diane
you must be really worried, i had the same questions about the amount of time waiting, if you are that worried ring your doctor and tell her. if you can wait a week and take the penicillin could it go away? this is what you have to decide - i was told that a week wouldnt make a difference one way or another - but you have to do what YOU think is best for you at this stage. i wish i had had the courage to be more assertive with my gp and i now know that i should have just gone straight back and told her i was too upset and worried to wait. i didnt then but i would now.
if its too much stress to wait a week, ring her.
and by the way, dont google, its not going to help you, youre better off asking questions on here.
wishing you strength, keep us updated
angie x
Sam_BCC

Hi Diane72

I’m sorry to read that you're having a pretty difficult time at the moment. I’m sure the users of this site will be along to support you soon.

In the meantime maybe you would like to talk to a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Guest user
Not applicable

Confused, concerned, worried... advice please xx

Hi everyone, my name is Diane. (I am 41). I went to see my GP on Saturday as I had found a small lump, although I thought it was nothing to worry about as it wasnt hard, a couple of days after discovering it I had a bruise on my skin and it was very tender to the touch. My GP examined me and said I had a slightly inverted nipple and thickening of the breast tissue, she also found another tender lump in the same breast (different area). However, she said she thought I may have an infection and has given me 500mg penicillin to take for a week. She has advised me to go back in a week so she can examine me again and if no change she will refer me for a mammogram. I wasnt worried until I then looked up thickening of the breast. I dont think I have an infection as I suffered from mastitus years ago and this is a totally different feeling. Anyone had anything similar or any suggestions/thoughts please?? Thanks alot Diane x