Confused!!

Please help - My 71 year old young at heart Mam was diagnosed with breast cancer for the second time 6 years ago and at the time was told it was inoperable, she was put straight onto Arimidex and has been on it ever since. She has recently been experiencing pain again and shortness of breath, she returned to the docs who advised that her lungs werent clear because she has fluid on them, however the onc said that he was almost certain that it hadnt spread to her lungs ??
She was told her treatment options are now either fasoldex trial ?? or tamoxifen or aromasin ? An oral chemotherappy was also mentioned ? She is to return to the onc next week once the radiographer has had a look at the CT scan, but will then have to decide on her treatment. Can anyone clarify or share any similar experiences.

Hi Claire
It sounds like there are some confused messages from the docs. If it hasn’t spread why are they suggesting a change of treatment and even chemotherapy? I suggest you will find out a bit more when the results of the CT scan are known and then bombard them with questions! Sorry I can’t help further but I hope you’ll get some more useful answers for some of the other lovely ladies on here, maybe look up info on the drugs they’ve mentioned as well so you know what’s and why something is being suggested. Good luck to you and your Mum next week.
Nicky

Hi Claire

I understand that you must be very concerned and confused about about your mum’s symptoms and whether or not it has spread. As Nicky sugggests, it’s important that you ask as many questions as you can when you see the oncologist next week.

I have given a link here to our factsheet on Secondary BC of the lungs, it may help with some of the symptoms and treatments on offer if a diagnosis is confirmed.

breastcancercare.org.uk/docs/secondary_breast_cancer_in_the_lung_0.pdf

I hope you find this helpful, but I am sure you will receive other advice and support from our many users.

Kind regards

Louise

Hi - Mam has been told that the cancer is in between her breast bone and lung, she is on tamoxifen and is to return to onc in 6 weeks for an xray - does anyone else have a similar experience ?

Many thanks for your message - this website is greatly appreciated

Is anyone on tamoxifen on its own - Mam had this years ago and the onc has said this is her initial treatment option and they will need to give it a couple of months before they know if this is working.