Confused

I’ve just had a conversation with my breast care nurse which has left me feeling a bit vague and unsettled about everything. I’ve been on Tamoxifen for five weeks now since I was dx’ed with bc and bone mets before Xmas. I’m also having 3-weekly Pamidronate.

I just asked her if my bloods had come back to show if my tumour markers had gone up or down and she said not yet but that I shouldn’t set too much store by those anyway (??) I then asked when and how they would know if the Tamoxifen was doing any good and she said that was hard to tell and that I should go by how I was managing my symptoms. Is this really the only way that we know if the drugs are working for us?? I feel I want more answers.

Lesley x

I was put on Tamoxifen for 6 months with only blood tests as a monitor and then a scan to assess progress.

Jenny
x

Thanks Jenny, I’m probably being a bit overly paranoid again - by blood tests do you mean just those or did that include CA-153 markers as well? My bloods are all apparently ‘fine’ but still don’t know what the markers are doing.

Lesley x

I never had my markers checked in that time. I think it was more to check my liver function, but all hospitals seem different in their approach so if you have been having markers taken I would imagine you will continue to do so.

Good luck with it!

Jenny
x

Hi Lesley…I don’t know how true this is but I’ve been told most mets patients do have markers taken but are not always told about them. My markers have always been central to my treatment. When you do get your results you could, if you wanted to, keep a record of them (I do!) and then you can start to see the trend…which is hopefully downwards. One high reading can be a blip it’s only when markers start either doubling in number or (in my case) slowly consistently rising it may be time for a change of treatment. Hormonals can take up to 3 months to kick in but after this you should start to get an indication of how effective Tam will be. Good Luck…Belinda…x

Thanks for your replies, Jenny and Belinda - I’m not sure if I’m over-paranoid (probably) but I had the distinct impression the bc nurse didn’t want to tell me the result this morning. I’m going to make damned sure I find out when I go to my appointment next week - as you say, Belinda, it may just be that my hospital don’t tell people about their markers. I know the Tamoxifen is going to take a while to kick in, I guess I’m just impatient!! On the plus side the aches and pains are subsiding so think the Pamidronate could be getting to work.

Lesley x

Hi again Lesley…I’ve sent a message to your BCC inbox re markers.
Have a good weekend…B…x

Thanks Belinda, have replied. You have a good weekend too

Lesley x