2 REPLIES 2
suejonno

Re: Confusing symptoms

Thank you Jo, I will give them a ring.
Sue

Jo_BCC

Re: Confusing symptoms

Hi Suejonno,

I'm sorry you find yourself in this situation. Could I suggest you give our helpline team here a ring and have a chat with one of the nurses, I'm sure they'll be able to help. Calls are free, 0808 800 6000, lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2.

Take care,

Jo, Facilitator

suejonno

Confusing symptoms

Hi I am 38 years old and 2 weeks ago I got a pain in my shoulder. The next day I went to see the doctor who said to me that it wasn't my shoulder it was my breast tissue, he then asked if I had any pain in my armpit or any nipple discharge. I hadn't at this point of time. He said that he was going to treat me for mastitis as this is what he thought was causing my symptoms. I was given a week of Flucloxacillin 500mg and was told to take ibuprofen. I was told to go back in a week. In that week my symptoms got worse, I began to get pain under my armpit, under my breast and my side of breast as well as still in my shoulder. I returned in a week and the Dr wanted to examine my breast but because I was on my period and he said that your breast become lumpy at that time and he wanted me to go back today. Over the last week my symptoms are worse and I have been excessively been tired. It's starting to wake me in the night. Today the Dr examined my breast and he said he does not know what is causing my symptoms and asked for bloods to be taken today. Obviously his first diagnosis of mastitis was not right, he did say it might not be this the time. I have to return on Friday I expect the results will be back. I have heard that some breast cancers can be misdiagnosed as mastitis and obviously with all that happened over the last 2 weeks it is worrying me. Friends keep saying the Dr should be doing more and one even said to go to a&e. I really do not know what route to take. I have 4 children, one as mental health issues and two are autistic. I can't take the risk of taking my time if its something that's life threatening. I feel so dramatic at the moment, I really don't know what to do for the best. Please give my your opinions.