Confusion

I was diagnosed Dec 18 with breast cancer and cancer in the armpit nodes, then on monday this week i was told i have cancer in the other breast and other armpit nodes and also signs of lung cancer. Every time i speak to someone at the hospital i seem to be told something different, no one seems able to make a decision the surgeon and the oncologist dont seem to be singing off the same hymn sheet and whilst i understand things keep changing it is now a month since first diagnosis and nearly 2 months since i found the first indentation in my breast and still nothing has happened yet. i was told today that i will start FEC chemo in 3/6 weeks but everything seems to be going so slowly and it’s driving me mad. Help! is this just me or are other people having the same kind of issues. The more clarification i try to get the more confused i end up.

Hi H747

Firstly welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums, I hope you will find them to be a great source of support and information.

I’m sorry to read that you are having a such a tough time at the moment. I’m sure some of the other users of this site will be along to offer you their support soon.

In the meantime maybe it would help to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Hi H747,
I was also diagnosed on 18th December and it was an utter shock. I’m only 40 and there is no family history. I was diagnosed with a grade 3 large tumour and cancer in lymph nodes. I’m finally having a mastectomy and lymph removal next Thursday. The waiting has been horrendous, just blood awful. Plus the stress of telling family and friends. It is just an awful time. Once you know you have cancer all you want it to get rid of it. I’ve been told by other ladies that the waiting is the worst thing and once treatment starts you start to feel a little more positive. My lump was 4cm but now it takes up half of my D cup. The consultant said it’s trauma from the biopsy, which makes sense, and I know cancer doesn’t grow that quickly, but it all add to the stress.
It took me around 4 months before I went to my GP as I dismissed the symptoms (didn’t find a lump but boob felt odd and painful, it was only when I found an indentation that I went to the GP).
At least you have a plan now – maybe ask them why treatment can’t commence sooner now that they have decided what is needed. If the stress is really getting to you speak to your consultant. I’ve found taking a knowledgeable friend to ask all the right questions and to question the consultant’s recommendation really helpful as I’m normally too stressed or too busy putting on a brave face.
I really hope they starts treatment sooner rather than later for you. Hopefully some other ladies who have had a similar diagnosis in the past will be able to give you some advice and support on this thread.
Big hugs xx